Stock Market Chat

Reaction score
Anyone here play with stocks or manage their own retirement?

If so, I hope you're making out ok with the recent Coronovirus related declines.

I first started investing / saving for retirement right around the time of the 2008 financial collapse. That scared the shit out of me, and I barely had anything saved. From that point on I made a big effort to educate myself about financial things and investing. I had a family to support, and I realized that I couldn't trust anyone but myself to do what I thought best with our money. (There were a lot of portfolio managers and financial advisors that gave bad advice and lost people's money during the collapse).

I'm doing ok now, and I pulled nearly all of my money in corporate stocks out last fall right at the time of the yield curve inversion. The money I still have invested is mainly in gold ETF's, which have always made up a sizeable defensive part of my portfolio, and some treasury and municipal bond funds that are up right now also because of this madness.

I'm also a fan of crypto, which will probably put a target on my back if we have any traditional investing guys here.

So here's my theory on coronovirus and the market. Things are going to keep getting worse for a while. Anywhere from 2+ months of declines. Best case, we get a vaccine to market pretty fast before any bankruptcy contagion starts (2 mos hypothesis) and things start recovering quickly.

Worst case, bankruptcies start, a lending weakness emerges (similar to the mortgage crisis in 2008), and contagion spreads kicking off a global financial crisis. The fed and central banks are going to try to head it off by printing money and negative interest rates and it will be a long slow (years) recovery. I'm not ready to predict all-out global financial collapse yet though.

I'm keeping my cash on the sidelines until I feel better about which way things are going. I manage my family's money, and I run all of my big decisions by my wife before I pull the trigger. 2 reasons for that:

1, it keeps me honest and from acting on dumb ideas (and believe me I get a lot of those), because I don't want to run a dumbass idea by her.

2. it keeps her involved so she knows what's going on, and if things go South and I **** up, well there's "hey, I ran this by you and you signed off on it!" LOL

I think Gold has a bright future right now, that's my only positive stock prediction. I also think the long term BTC charts look good.

mugzy

Administrator
Reaction score
I’m of the opposite opinion. I started buying in last Monday when the DOW dropped by 1,000 points. I purchased more each day all the way down until a Friday.

Today I placed my last 15k into VOO and everything I have is in. I’m considering taking out a couple of hundred grand on the house next week to purchase more.....

We can debate the corona virus and it’s impact on the market or world if you will all day. I’m of the belief this is a major opportunity to invest cash. We can revisit the post another time to confirm.

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
lol. George Foreman once pointed out people may play Baseball, Football, Basketball, etc, but nobody "plays" Boxing.

I'm thinking nobody does, or at least should, play stocks. Not picking atcha, just had to get my infrequent Boxing references in here somewhere.

Reaction score
I’m of the opposite opinion. I started buying in last Monday when the DOW dropped by 1,000 points. I purchased more each day all the way down until a Friday.

Today I placed my last 15k into VOO and everything I have is in. I’m considering taking out a couple of hundred grand on the house next week to purchase more.....

We can debate the corona virus and it’s impact on the market or world if you will all day. I’m of the belief this is a major opportunity to invest cash. We can revisit the post another time to confirm.

This is exactly why I posted this. I like to hear other opinions.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I invest the same amount each month, so I'm just happy everything is on sale right now. More for my dollar.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I don’t try to time the market because I don’t have time to pour over the financial statements of companies or be a part time economist. Nor do I listen to financial news to hear someone else’s opinion; I would much rather form my own.

My approach is more to understand risk/ reward profiles of different securities and annually review my portfolio to make sure it aligns with my risk profile.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
good time to offset losses for gains as well.

I dont foresee it NOT being a roller coaster for the next few months. Unless a vac is put out and this whole thing stops by 4th of july

But the supply chains will not be what they were in the Asian countries for years.....again...unless a vac comes out to put an end to things

The Tater

Elite
Reaction score
I invest with a long term strategy in mind. A couple of mutual funds and some stocks. I have been buying NUE this week. Strong jobs report, economy is rolling right along, buy on the dip.

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
Dollar cost averaging will have the most consistent long term gains.
Up or down, just keep socking money into solid equities and index funds.

I do find it funny when people pull out of the stock market when it dips. Blue chip companies aren't losing value, they're just temporarily on sale. It's like a Black Friday fire sale for equities.

Selling in a dip and buying when it recovers is a good way to blow out your account.

Reaction score
I really only invest in the s&p, I don't plan on pulling any of the money out any time soon.

I think this is a good strategy too. If I wasn't really on top of what was going on, and if I didn't manage my own retirement through etrade, I'd just keep feeding the index funds regardless of the days' events. Because I feel like ultimately it is safe and will keep going up.

My plan right now is to wait until things get drawn down as low as I think they can go and a bottom starts to form, then start getting back in peacemeal.

There is this advice I've heard "never try to catch a falling knife" that I've fell victim to a few times already, so I'm really gunshy about jumping back in too soon. I've been stuck in some stuff for long periods of time because I did that, and I've lost money because of doing that and selling to get into something better.

I also Know I missed out on some gains by getting out at the end of last year, but I feel good about it now.

Reaction score
I actually just started messing around with TD Ameritrade’s sink or swim. I just did paper money so it gave me 100k to invest and learn with. I bought VOO SOXX and ACES. So far I’m only down 6k with how shitty everything’s been.. Still have a long way to go in learning and educating myself on what to invest in.

Reaction score
I actually just started messing around with TD Ameritrade’s sink or swim. I just did paper money so it gave me 100k to invest and learn with. I bought VOO SOXX and ACES. So far I’m only down 6k with how shitty everything’s been.. Still have a long way to go in learning and educating myself on what to invest in.

Man just read, read, read.. I also like Bloomberg radio, they interview some really amazing big players in the financial industry and well educated folks. I like Stansberry Digest, but try a bunch of financial newsletters and watch over time to see who gives the best advice.

I tend to err more on the paranoid / prepper mindset, doom and gloom. I have to find a balance between being cautious and being paranoid.

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
Man just read, read, read.. I also like Bloomberg radio, they interview some really amazing big players in the financial industry and well educated folks.

Be very careful about who you're taking advice from.

Consider this; there is only so much money in the stock market at any given time. All of those big players and ultra rich people stand to make a ton of money by offering bad advice and cashing in on it. This happens all the time in penny stocks. Some financial guru who already owns a shit ton of penny stock hypes the shit out of it on investing forums. The rubes buy in and the price sky rockets. The financial guru cashes out and watches everyone elses minds explode when that "sure thing" stock turns out to be overvalued junk.

When it comes to "playing the market", in order for one person to profit, another person must lose.

As the saying goes "Beware an old man in a place where men die young".

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I have a good money guy. At least I hope hes good. I hate financial stuff so I let it to someone who likes it

Reaction score
Iron1, I totally agree. I don't mess with penny stocks at all and I would never recommend that to anyone.

I try to get as much information as I can and from different sources. Most of my decisions are based on my experience and usually what I'm hearing from people that have shown themselves to be trustworthy over time.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The work 40 years to retire at 65 invest in stable mutual funds never interested me ... I invest in real estate from money earned in my own businesses ... I've made millions and lost along the way mostly due to 2 divorces ... but at least I feel more in control of my own destiny ...

Last edited:

Rot-Iron66

Elite
Reaction score
Im long term 401K person, I dont worry about normal ups/downs like this. 30 years of 401K's (A million dollars in the darn thing), I will be watching when the time comes to live on it though. (Safely moving it, IRA, etc)..

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
im to stupid to understand all this....even tho im edumicated....

whats a good app to start with that gives u fake money to work with? i have buddies who make money every day, i just dont know enough to even start...but need to start making my money work for me

New Threads