If you can stay home: STAY HOME

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Covid is in the USA and spreading.

The government will soon have to restrict freedoms and movement to prevent the rapid spread.

If the disease spreads too quickly then the healthcare system will be overrun (basically a guarantee if no effective cure put into place).

Don’t go outside around others and expose yourself! It’s not about YOU. YOU might be just fine. How about the people you could spread it to? How will they fare?

In the 80’s My Father used to have to decide who got dialysis and who’d be left with no treatment to die. There simply weren’t enough dialysis machines.

Thats where we are headed 100%. Don’t be careless with the lives of your fellow human beings.

Every person who enters an overcrowded hospital will be evaluated and ranked:
Who gets treatment and who doesn’t.

There simply arent enough hospital beds.

I damn sure am not going To end up in the hospital (if I can help it!) and rob some old man or lady of life giving care.

Exposing yourself to the virus indirectly or directly affects the lives of others.

STAY THE **** HOME IF YOU CAN.

If you still don’t get it you will in less than two weeks time. Shit hasn’t even begun to get crazy.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Look at Italy. It's happening. :32 (6):

Last edited:

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
I know the media is making a very big thing over this, but from what ive seen most people who end up with this crap do not need to be admitted to the hospital.
The older and those who already have health issues to begin with are the ones most at risk from ending up seriously sick.

That being said, Jin does have a very valid point, if you dont NEED to go to some crowded area then dont. There is no way to prevent this thing from spreading at this point, but you can still take steps to protect yourself and family.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I know the media is making a very big thing over this, but from what ive seen most people who end up with this crap do not need to be admitted to the hospital.
The older and those who already have health issues to begin with are the ones most at risk from ending up seriously sick.

That being said, Jin does have a very valid point, if you dont NEED to go to some crowded area then dont. There is no way to prevent this thing from spreading at this point, but you can still take steps to protect yourself and family.

I sincerely hope it stays manageable for you guys. I’m certainly hoping for the best but I expect you’ll be under pressure soon enough.

Would you please keep us updated?

You are OUR guy on the front lines.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I practiced social distancing long before this ever came about. People are disgusting!

Clear your damn pm’s Jin lol

I’m 100% with you dude. Pandemics are like my wet dream. “Oh, sorry, we aren’t excepting visitors”. “You know what? We can’t make it.”

pm cleared.

HydroEJP88

Elite
Reaction score
I practiced social distancing long before this ever came about. People are disgusting!

Clear your damn pm’s Jin lol

Absolutely. I did it years ago also. Eventually they stop inviting you

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
Saskatchewan made a vaccine, no?

Not sure, first I heard.

The USA has a Flu season every year, different strains, not much like the Corona virus, but maybe somewhat alike as to the vaccines we humans develop. The people who make the vaccines know roughly when those "regular" Flus will hit, and they can guess which strain each year from Flu that has already hit parts of the world it usually hits earlier.

AND THEY STILL GET IT WRONG, AT LEAST PARTIALLY WRONG, EACH YEAR. Most years, the vaccine is said to be effective, sort of, but never real close to 100% effective. Play the odds; its still worth getting, just not a guarantee you won't get the "regular" Flu.

THIS time, Corona ambushed the world back in December, it is different from all those regular Flus, a vaccine may take a while to be developed, it may be rushed by immense political pressure, what is finally released may be great, or not so great, and it may be manufactured a little at a time. Right now, tests for Corona are available in some countries and not in others. There are some in the USA, but not enough. Vaccine availability may be like that, when it does get "invented."

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Not sure, first I heard.

The USA has a Flu season every year, different strains, not much like the Corona virus, but maybe somewhat alike as to the vaccines we humans develop. The people who make the vaccines know roughly when those "regular" Flus will hit, and they can guess which strain each year from Flu that has already hit parts of the world it usually hits earlier.

AND THEY STILL GET IT WRONG, AT LEAST PARTIALLY WRONG, EACH YEAR. Most years, the vaccine is said to be effective, sort of, but never real close to 100% effective. Play the odds; its still worth getting, just not a guarantee you won't get the "regular" Flu.

THIS time, Corona ambushed the world back in December, it is different from all those regular Flus, a vaccine may take a while to be developed, it may be rushed by immense political pressure, what is finally released may be great, or not so great, and it may be manufactured a little at a time. Right now, tests for Corona are available in some countries and not in others. There are some in the USA, but not enough. Vaccine availability may be like that, when it does get "invented."

There’s two places in Israel and a handful of US companies that are moving on to phase one vaccine testing.

The first one announced was “cool” because the company developed the vaccine completely based on the genome sequence published by the Chinese. A live virus wasn’t available so this would be one of the first vaccines created completely by computer.

The US military is doing live hunan trials with a treatment drug based on the Ebola/sars/Mers work.

The US military is doing animal testing with a vaccine.

Who knows what China and Russia have come up with that the US isn’t talking about in the media.

id day we’re 6 months out from a viable vaccine if everyone keeps the pressure up. Likely this pandemic will dry up during the summer and return next winter. Ideally we have it ready by then.

also, the flu vaccine is useless because you’re trying to inoculate against whole families of viruses by guessing which strains will be the most popular. Hint: the one that nobody is immune to is the one that’ll spread the most... ie obviously one not in the vaccine.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The only public place I go regularly is my gym and restaurants ... JIN are you suggesting stopping these type of activities ...

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The only public place I go regularly is my gym and restaurants ... JIN are you suggesting stopping these type of activities ...

I meant to ask the Bros a similar question - are ye not going to the gym fer now?

I'm on the road with work, stuck in a small apartment complex with a fook-all "gym" but its better than nothin and no one here seems to use it.

Just down the road though is a larger gym - think its an LA Fitness type but more than I've got in the apartment - and I'm 'tinkin I should avoid it.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score

Restaurants are off the “menu” for me. Way too much exposure risk.

I have a home gym. Stopping going to the gym is a real sacrifice.

It’s a personal decision. But it will be made for you shortly anyway.

Do you have people in your life who are elderly or have compromised immune systems? If you do and you will have contact with them then I’d definitely stop going to the gym.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Every infectious disease expert thst I've heard speak about vaccines say that if absolutely everything goes right, that they make the perfect decisions at every turn, it's still a year minimum before a vaccine is viable.

They also say to look at other diseases that they've been trying to come up with vaccines for for years, and still haven't...Sars, Mers, Ebola, other Corona viruses, etc...

They say that it just doesn't work like that, that there's no vaccine in sight right now.

Reactions: Jin

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I will probably still be hitting the gym. At least until they don't let me. I was in yesterday & it was pretty busy. I've always wiped down the equipment after I've used it & yesterday even wiped the bars down. I have always washed my hands before leaving & have always avoided touching/scratching my face while there.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Every infectious disease expert thst I've heard speak about vaccines say that if absolutely everything goes right, that they make the perfect decisions at every turn, it's still a year minimum before a vaccine is viable.

They also say to look at other diseases that they've been trying to come up with vaccines for for years, and still haven't...Sars, Mers, Ebola, other Corona viruses, etc...

They say that it just doesn't work like that, that there's no vaccine in sight right now.

China is starting a trial in April with a vaccine ... they are also running close to 300 trials currently on different medications to combat coronavirus ... obviously they have no FDA ... but we're going to know a great deal more by the end of march if medications like remdesivir and medications used for HIV and hepatitis c are effect with this disease ...

There are 2 differences to consider with this disease from other outbreaks ... #1 there have been other coronaviruses like mers and SARS in the past ... yes this one is different but there has been much effort put into combating them ... #2 China is 2 to 3 month ahead of the rest of the world so as advances are made there the rest of the world will benefit ...

German89

Elite
Reaction score
Yeah I'm get the royal fukk you as I work in a hotel..

Everyones fukkin canceling. Oh well. Better time in the gym.

Last edited:

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to the gym at all. all personal training cancelled until further notice.

Reactions: Jin

white ape

Elite
Reaction score
My gym is screening people as they walk in the door. Wish they would have started that two weeks ago! Grocery stores are empty with lines around the store. This is in Denver. The main issue that I see is that assholes won't stay home while they are sick. They will go out and spread the disease.

Reactions: CJ

New Threads