COVID 19 from the front line

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Ill put this up front, dont pm me asking me where i work cause i wont answer you LOL.

Most of the guys that have been around know i am a registered nurse and work in a hospital.

The precautions we have been taking, and we get this from DHEC and CDC and follow what they recommend.

The N95 mask is not needed unless there is some type of respiratory procedure going on, ie getting a breathing treatment, getting intubated (putting a breathing tube in) and stuff of that nature. Other than that a normal surgical mask is what is being used along with gowns, gloves and eye protection.

Negative pressure rooms are being used first just as an extra precaution, if not any available a room with a door that closes is whats used.

We are still not treating everyone that has a cough or cold symptoms, the criteria right now at least in my area is still specific.

IF you have been to an area that it is widespread, check around your local hospital systems, some of them may have virtual screening available to use, the system i work for has it and is offering it free to the public to use.

DO NOT flood the ER, im already seeing this as recently as last night with damn near every person in there for some kind of cough or cold symptoms.

If you have chronic medical problems be extra cautious, esp if you have stuff along the lines of copd, chf, asthma and other respiratory related conditions.

Elderly need to be careful as well. The ones that seem to be ending up the sickest are the very old. Not to say some of you young punks may not get very sick but the odds are in your favor.

There is no way they are going to be able to stop the spread of this crap, but they do want to slow it down so as to not over run hospitals. (Ive seen Jin mention this a few times and he is very much on the money)

ERs are busy under normal circumstances let alone when there is widespread panic.

Now if you are having trouble breathing, dont be a dumb ass and not seek help, you need it go to the damn hospital, BUT dont get offended when they treat you like typhoid mary, dont forget there is an entire building full of people they also need to look out for, so you are going to be put in a room alone, the staff will not be in there nearly as much as normal. You will have to wear a mask and you will have people that look like they are in hazmat suits caring for you.

Dont be a dick and complain, these people are there to help you but also to help everyone else AND look after themselves as much as they can.

And i agree, the media is doing a crap job with this, and they are to blame for most of the painc. This is not the beginning of Stephen King's The Stand.

(if you dont know what that is, first you suck, second read it , its a awesome book)

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Great post, Elivo. More like this, please - medical professionals offering an expert opinion.

Good on ya', Mate.

Last edited:

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Thank you. Keep us posted and do
good!

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
MostValuablePoster award right here.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My wife is in the same boat. She dealt with 4 likely cases with results currently pending.

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Eli is our Dr. Drew without the angry.....

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
Now here is post that I am on board with. Panic free explanations from someone who actually works in a medical profession and has been dealing with it first hand.

My sons fiance also an RN and 1st year Nurse Practitioner student basically had the same things to say.

Thanks you.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Agreed more professional opinions are what people need as appose to the scare mongering that we getting, thanks dude

Gabriel

Reaction score
Totally agree the Media has not helped...........Watched the D.Muir 2 hour show on the Virus.a waste of time,,a joke,no good useful info.....Mostly scare tach.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My g/f is a CRNA (nurse with a master's degree in anesthesia) she works with pregnant women administers epidurals and puts women to sleep getting caesareans ... she deals with 5 to 20 births per 24 shift ... I worry about her exposure risk ... from asymptomatic 20 somethings who dont ever know they are coronavirus carriers ... and to be honest I worry for all health care works who make up many of friends and family ... but I choose to have faith ... the facts and current research indicates those at risk are elderly and other with compromised immune systems ... she does very important work ... and she will continue regardless of these increased risks that all of health works are facing but also choose to continue ... God Bless all of you ...!!!

GSgator

Reaction score
I’m in WA state and my wife is a ER nurse when she works triage she has to wear a papr suit which looks like something out of movie.

Ragingmenace223

Reaction score
that is good to hear if our quailed professionals get scared and hermit up we will be in real trouble. im grateful for all the people in the health care and military trying to make this as short and pain free as possible

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Only other thing I’d add is to read up on the timeline of symptoms/wellness.

5.2 (something like that) is the median before symptoms show with 97% showing before 11 days.

Normal recovery is the second week.

If you go into week 3 then the odds drop and you should seriously think about medical attention. Getting treatment when your lungs are shot might be a little late at that point.

edit: Also found it helpful to know nasal congestion and sore throats are very rare with COVID-19

Last edited:
Reaction score
Only other thing I’d add is to read up on the timeline of symptoms/wellness.

5.2 (something like that) is the median before symptoms show with 97% showing before 11 days.

Normal recovery is the second week.

If you go into week 3 then the odds drop and you should seriously think about medical attention. Getting treatment when your lungs are shot might be a little late at that point.

edit: Also found it helpful to know nasal congestion and sore throats are very rare with COVID-19

thats really good to know about the rarity of throat and nasal congestion being symptoms. It’s still fairly cold in most places in the US so small colds and allergy’s are probably freaking everyone out when they first notice them.

im doing what I can in terms of protecting myself and others. I have to go to work, my job isn’t one I could ever do from home, I’m practicing good hygiene and I’m actually using the sanitizing spray at the gym.

GSgator

Reaction score
My gym just closed down. Shit is getting gnarly up here. It won’t surprise me if we all have to sit in our houses for a month.

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the good info brother
and thanks for doing what you do, tons of respect for nurses.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Just checking in. Been a busy time here like is has been for so many others, in all honesty so far my area has not been hit all that hard by this mess. We have around 5-8 pt admitted on average in the hospital either with or suspected of having covid 19. About 5 ish workers have come down with it as well, and thats just in the hospital not counting all the surrounding doctors office and crap like that .

Right now not only are we planning for a surge of sick people but we are also going through a huge financial crisis, as is a lot of health care systems. People are staying home and not showing up in the ER for their minor little issues.

While that is a good thing it is killing the money flow most hospitals are used to. My company has had lay offs and pay cuts already.

All in all i am one of the lucky ones that not only has a steady job but also didnt have to take any less money.

I have not ended up sick so far, a few friends of mine i work with have but they are fine. Id like to say we are looking at the down swing but in all honesty i have no idea when this crap will be done. Just like everyone else im ready for some return to a somewhat normal life style, and the damn gym needs to open the hell back up quick.

Everyone keep staying safe, do what you need to do and go where you NEED to go but dont be an idiot about it.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Is it their revenue thats’s hurting or their cash flow. I really thought revenue would be going through the roof.

Ragingmenace223

Reaction score
Just checking in. Been a busy time here like is has been for so many others, in all honesty so far my area has not been hit all that hard by this mess. We have around 5-8 pt admitted on average in the hospital either with or suspected of having covid 19. About 5 ish workers have come down with it as well, and thats just in the hospital not counting all the surrounding doctors office and crap like that .

Right now not only are we planning for a surge of sick people but we are also going through a huge financial crisis, as is a lot of health care systems. People are staying home and not showing up in the ER for their minor little issues.

While that is a good thing it is killing the money flow most hospitals are used to. My company has had lay offs and pay cuts already.

All in all i am one of the lucky ones that not only has a steady job but also didnt have to take any less money.

I have not ended up sick so far, a few friends of mine i work with have but they are fine. Id like to say we are looking at the down swing but in all honesty i have no idea when this crap will be done. Just like everyone else im ready for some return to a somewhat normal life style, and the damn gym needs to open the hell back up quick.

Everyone keep staying safe, do what you need to do and go where you NEED to go but dont be an idiot about it.
I was hearing about this last week.Shows how the media changes info. I heard they are laying people off because they made all this extra room for covid patients and not doing elective surgeries. Basically they were blaming a lack of covid patients to make the people think its safe outside and to reopen states...im just glad there are people like you around to break down the truth instead of what everyone says to help their personal agenda.

New Threads