COVID 19 from the front line

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Is it their revenue thats’s hurting or their cash flow. I really thought revenue would be going through the roof.

in areas like mine where it isnt as bad, the numbers are way down, AND all elective surgeries and stuff like that has been put on hold, only emergency surgery is happening, also out patient radiology stuff is shut down as well. That is whats really killing the money flow, surgery is a big money maker for hospital systems.

Now most places are setting up special parts of the hospital to make room for a surge of covid pts, we have one whole floor dedicated to it and a 10 person smaller unit. But we havent needed anymore than the 10 person unit.

The problem is you just dont know when and if the surge will hit, but places are preparing if it does so they are ready. The lack of elective surgeries and other out patient services is a big area where they are losing money, but also people just are not going to the hospital unless they really need to, that also has a big effect on their revenue.

I know my system is going to start opening up surgeries and stuff again i think this week or next week, the amount of covid pts we got is less than what we were expecting so they have the extra protective gear to spare and get that stuff up and running in a safe manner.

now you take a place like new york where they are getting killed and its a bit different, they need more help big time. But the smaller towns and cities are losing money.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
I was hearing about this last week.Shows how the media changes info. I heard they are laying people off because they made all this extra room for covid patients and not doing elective surgeries. Basically they were blaming a lack of covid patients to make the people think its safe outside and to reopen states...im just glad there are people like you around to break down the truth instead of what everyone says to help their personal agenda.

Yeah ive seen where states want to start reopening stuff, the lack of pts we are seeing means the efforts are working, as much as it sucks thats what it takes. They start opening a bunch of stuff up, and i can see numbers jumping in those areas, just the sheer amount of people that will flood to whatever is open will cause an issue.

Amanda4450

Lady Member
Reaction score
Just checking in. Been a busy time here like is has been for so many others, in all honesty so far my area has not been hit all that hard by this mess. We have around 5-8 pt admitted on average in the hospital either with or suspected of having covid 19. About 5 ish workers have come down with it as well, and thats just in the hospital not counting all the surrounding doctors office and crap like that .

Right now not only are we planning for a surge of sick people but we are also going through a huge financial crisis, as is a lot of health care systems. People are staying home and not showing up in the ER for their minor little issues.

While that is a good thing it is killing the money flow most hospitals are used to. My company has had lay offs and pay cuts already.

All in all i am one of the lucky ones that not only has a steady job but also didnt have to take any less money.

I have not ended up sick so far, a few friends of mine i work with have but they are fine. Id like to say we are looking at the down swing but in all honesty i have no idea when this crap will be done. Just like everyone else im ready for some return to a somewhat normal life style, and the damn gym needs to open the hell back up quick.

Everyone keep staying safe, do what you need to do and go where you NEED to go but dont be an idiot about it.

Awesome to see a fellow nurse on here!! We are facing the same issues at our hospital as well. They have done a big round of lay-offs as well as taken away all of our employee matching retirement... dating back to the end of last fiscal year so that’s July.

I’m in the NICU so we are pretty isolated from the potential COVID cases. We had a scare or two with mothers who spiked temps, but none were ever positive. Wearing the masks 12 hrs at a time has really taken a toll, but as you said, I’m blessed to have a job so I’m thankful for that.

I’m the NICU we are restricting visitation to one parent at the bedside at a time and no one other than parents may visit. I’m in Tennessee and we are rolling out phase I of re-opening on Monday so I’m curious to see how it all goes.

Stay safe out there!!

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah ive seen where states want to start reopening stuff, the lack of pts we are seeing means the efforts are working, as much as it sucks thats what it takes. They start opening a bunch of stuff up, and i can see numbers jumping in those areas, just the sheer amount of people that will flood to whatever is open will cause an issue.

Dude..... where you at?

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
Good bump, dk, interesting to see how all this has been unfolding since the OP.

We had a member like this on the other board, also a Nurse, who began posting a COVID "log" for a while. He was in NYC, back when it was the epicenter. His posts were more pessimistic, about the disease itself and about how hospital administrations were dealing with their front line employees.

Then, one day he just stopped posting. We figured he might have gone from employee to victim, but he did resurface one time, weeks later. No cheer in his update, but he did survive the potential physical risks at least. Hasn't been back since, my uninformed guess is that he may have a form of PTSD after all he went through and witnessed. Experiences and subsequent reactions will vary among these heroes and heroines depending on what patients they worked with and in what parts of the country, but things like these Boards we love may seem sort of irrelevant to the hardest hit front line veterans.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Hey, sorry for being MIA, not sure what there is to say at this point other than like everywhere else, it’s gotten worse here. We went from an average of 4 or 5 patients to about 15-20 a day that are in the hospital either suspected of having Covid or being positive with it.

Work has been busy, ive coded more people in the last month than I have over the course of a year I think. Staff is stressed and tired and being worked to death. No one is happy right now.

being the small town hospital we don’t have some of the resources the bigger places have or access to more nurses, nurse aids and everything else, so we have to get by with what we have. And it’s taking its toll.

i myself have not caught it as far as I know, I haven’t done a test for it myself cause I have yet to have any symptoms to make me feel like I need to. In general I’m just run down.

Working our hasn’t happened in I don’t know how long, gyms I think may have opened here again, not sure though, I quit checking a while back.

I’m hanging on, hoping crap eases up at least a little here soon, I’ve seen I don’t know how many nurses just flat out quit and move on to less demanding areas to work.

Long story short, it’s a sh!t show for the most part!!!

New Threads