Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rep sets

Lady Member
    Thanks

Rep sets

I want to put on muscle but not get too big on my lower body if that makes sense... I would like to keep a feminine figure to a point, but also like the muscular tone. What is better high reps with low weight or low reps with max weight? Currently most of my programming has 5x20s but it has been suggested that I need to drop to 5x6s and increase the weight to where I couldnít possibly do one more rep. Iím fine with that idea on my upper body, I like my broad shoulders, and biceps strong, but Iím worried about my thighs/legs gettin too large. What is your opinion? TIA 😊

Thanks
    Thanked 13,353 Times in 5,568 Posts
    Gaining muscle is a long and arduous process. Very easy to dial it back if you don’t like the way your lower body starts looking.

You’ll have to experiment. Stark contrast (low reps, high weight) to your current program is sure to yield results because you simply aren’t used to it.

Give it a go and see what works.

Your figure probably has more to do with diet than rep schemes.

We live on an island of knowledge surrounded
    by a sea of ignorance.
    As our island of knowledge grows,
    so too does the shore of our ignorance.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

Amanda4450 (03-25-2020),Blacktail (03-26-2020),BRICKS (03-26-2020),CJ275 (03-26-2020),Sicwun88 (03-26-2020),tinymk (03-25-2020),Voyagersixone (03-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,674 Times in 3,902 Posts
    So you want to get a " muscular tone" but not to bulky?
    Well here's some good news.... toning is not actually a real thing and its extremely difficult for you to get to bulky.

Why is it extremely difficult? Because your female hormonal profile is more estrogen rather than testosterone dominant , which ultimately plummets your muscle building potential compared to an average bro.

So what should you do to get toned? Maintain a protein focused calorie diet, weight train a good 5 times a week, be consistent. And no, high rep training is not the only way to go. Focus on doing compound movements in a variety of rep ranges, mostly in the 8-12 range, while challenging yourself a little more each and every week so your body is forced to adapt, grow some muscle, and yes, get stronger too.
    Last edited by Seeker; 03-25-2020 at 10:20 PM.
    "The weight teaches you"

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seeker For This Useful Post:

Amanda4450 (03-25-2020),Blacktail (03-26-2020),BRICKS (03-26-2020)

Lady Member
    Thanks
    Great advice! Thank you for you reply. I’ll give it a go like you said and scale back if needed!

Lady Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    So you want to get a " muscular tone" but not to bulky?
    Well here's some good news.... toning is not actually a real thing and its extremely difficult for you to get to bulky.

Why is it extremely difficult? Because your female hormonal profile is more estrogen rather than testosterone dominant , which ultimately plummets your muscle building potential compared to an average bro.

So what should you do to get toned? Maintain a protein focused calorie diet, weight train a good 5 times a week, be consistent. And no, high rep training is not the only way to go. Focus on doing compound movements in a variety of rep ranges, mostly in the 8-12 range, while challenging yourself a little more each and every week so your body is forced to adapt, grow some muscle, and yes, get stronger too.
    Thanks for your reply
    I prep and weigh everything I eat and weight train 6 days a week. I tend to stay leaner up top and carry my weight in my legs so I think that’s why I worry. I’ll give it a try and see what happens tho!!

Lady Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    Gaining muscle is a long and arduous process. Very easy to dial it back if you don’t like the way your lower body starts looking.

You’ll have to experiment. Stark contrast (low reps, high weight) to your current program is sure to yield results because you simply aren’t used to it.

Give it a go and see what works.

Your figure probably has more to do with diet than rep schemes.
    Great advice! Thank you for you reply. I’ll give it a go like you said and scale back if needed!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Amanda4450 For This Useful Post:

Jin (03-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,868 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Nothing to add, the boys nailed it, but.... If you do find the holy grail and somehow get your legs to grow wildly out of control, please share the secret.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ275 For This Useful Post:

Amanda4450 (03-26-2020),Jin (03-26-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ275 View Post
    Nothing to add, the boys nailed it, but.... If you do find the holy grail and somehow get your legs to grow wildly out of control, please share the secret.
    Ditto .......!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicwun88 For This Useful Post:

Amanda4450 (03-26-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,541 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda4450 View Post
    Thanks for your reply
    I prep and weigh everything I eat and weight train 6 days a week. I tend to stay leaner up top and carry my weight in my legs so I think that’s why I worry. I’ll give it a try and see what happens tho!!
    Seeker's answer for the win.

Everybody carries weight bit differently but I general women tend to lean out and look more muscular in the upper body first, legs md hips last. Men tend to lean out in the belly after everything else is shredded. As you get leaner you will look more muscular but you will also look less bulky. Follow Seeker's answer, consistancy, discipline, time and patience.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRICKS For This Useful Post:

Amanda4450 (03-26-2020),Seeker (03-26-2020)

Thanks
    Just to add to the great advice already mentioned,,,like Jin said it's a long process,it takes time and lots of work..........Finding what yields results for YOU is the rub....Lets say Chest...1-free weights is where you want to be.......machines are good,,but free weights put a demand on stabilizers(machines don't)....2-dumbells for the most demand on stabs...barbells are second,better for strength......3-what angle??.......incline most like and put more demand on front shoulder...the higher the angle the more shoulder(personal input...I believe this is why most have an over-developed front delt).......3-reps vs. weight................this is where the science comes in...I personally,use both and switch often to confuse the muscle.....being older I play it safe and avoid injury...You can get injuried by just about anything,but heavy weights increase that possibility....I would also say to look at super sets,drop sets and negitives.................there is no magic bullet..............most of the time it takes years to find what REALLY works ....

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:

Amanda4450 (03-26-2020)

Lady Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ275 View Post
    haha lol will do!

Lady Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Just to add to the great advice already mentioned,,,like Jin said it's a long process,it takes time and lots of work..........Finding what yields results for YOU is the rub....Lets say Chest...1-free weights is where you want to be.......machines are good,,but free weights put a demand on stabilizers(machines don't)....2-dumbells for the most demand on stabs...barbells are second,better for strength......3-what angle??.......incline most like and put more demand on front shoulder...the higher the angle the more shoulder(personal input...I believe this is why most have an over-developed front delt).......3-reps vs. weight................this is where the science comes in...I personally,use both and switch often to confuse the muscle.....being older I play it safe and avoid injury...You can get injuried by just about anything,but heavy weights increase that possibility....I would also say to look at super sets,drop sets and negitives.................there is no magic bullet..............most of the time it takes years to find what REALLY works ....
    i will say my coach has me doing a lot of negatives and controlled lifts and presses. For example today on the leg press it was a 4 sec decel with a 3 sec press. I did opt for the heavier weight today with less reps and it kicked my tail!!! Pretty crazy how you can get accustomed to doing the same thing and a variation can really push your workout.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Amanda4450 For This Useful Post:

CJ275 (03-27-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast