water consumption ?/advice

Ragingmenace223

Reaction score
i know im supposed to be getting over a gallon of water a day and i always fall short...i was wondering if any of you have this same problem or had it and how u increased ur intake. im getting a lot of muscle cramps and head aches i know im dehydrated. i am adding electrolytes to some of the water i do drink to try n lessen the cramps which seems to work but i do need consume more all the same. thank you for you thoughts

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The only time I needed to drink a gallon or more of water per day was when I was using tren. Not sure why you're having headaches and cramps because you didn't get into details as to what you're doing or using. But if you're drinking water to the point that you're falling just short of a gallon then I doubt you're dehydrated.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
I drink 32oz upon waking and toss a little salt back as well. You need to rehydrate as quickly as possible when you first wake up. Then I make sure to drink 24oz between every meal. This puts my total for the day at 152oz, on workout days I typically drink a 48oz carb+eaa drink plus another 32 oz of water.

so biggest advice in there, have water bottles of whatever size you need, drink and finish that water bottle in between every meals, avoid drinking much with meals as drinking with meals is actually bad for digestion.

Ragingmenace223

Reaction score
thanks ill do that ..i dont eat or drink for a while after i get up really so that will help...ive been reading that its important to get ur body out of the state it goes in when we sleep as soon as we wake up...so if i drink water with some protein when i open my eyes that will be one fifth of the water i need plus some nutrients....thanks

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Assuming you're not some long distance runner and are leading a normal life, 1/2 gal of liquids is fine. I know that doesn't seem like a lot but more may not be needed. And depending on who you talk to in the medical world, it's not water but fluids. That can be an entirely different topic but I think you need to look at what you're trying to accomplish. I have a feeling that liquids was originally recommended until people started to drink 1/2 gal of soda or whole milk. Then someone from the diet end had an issue with it and it got compromised to water. No one has an issue with water.

If you want to flush the kidneys a Nephrologist doesn't care if you're using beer to do it. A Hepatologist (liver) and Gastroenterologist (gut) Doctor would have a fit over drinking booze. THE 8X8 rule is good for more than just the volume. Drinking 8 oz, 8 times a day gets you to spread it out and I feel that's important to avoid having a build up of of what you're trying to flush out.

Be careful on the peeing clear thing, it's good but not the say-all-end-all. Food coloring and some foods can cause your pee to have a tint, doesn't mean its bad. Most of that yellow you get is from Vitamin B's

I see no real need for the average person in good health to push over a gallon of liquids. Side note: Don't kid yourself, you're not going to mitigated the use of oral steroids by drinking more water.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Regarding being dehydrated, if you are thirsty you're already in a state of dehydration.

Gabriel

Reaction score
Regarding being dehydrated, if you are thirsty you're already in a state of dehydration.

Used to do a lot of hiking and backpacking.and that is a golden rule....If you want to consume a certain amount of anything ,,,find a container that holds that exact amount....

Tatlifter

Reaction score
When I race enduros not only do I drink a lot of straight water in the weeks/months before hand but I throw a pack or two of Liquid IV in my camel back...brings me back to life on 8 hour races..

could be worth looking into

Sicwun88

Reaction score
I drink water thru out the day,never keeping track of exactly how much? I take 8-10 bottles of water to work with me, usually drink them all,most important is when I wake i always drink water,even before coffee!

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
I never understood the "drink a gallon" of water a day thing. You will never hear a doctor tell you this. I am not saying that your body may not require a gallon per day or even more but if you work and live indoors, you don't need a gallon of water under normal circumstances.

Bro science is still around tho.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/gallon-of-water-a-day says 64 ounces

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-...nd-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256 says 1 gallon fluids including food

https://www.webmd.com/diet/how-much-water-to-drink#1 says 3 cups shy of a gallon

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Body weight x .5 and u should be good 2 go

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Muscle cramps are from lack of water as much as it's a lack of -ions, ie. electrolytes like potassium, sodium, calcium, magnesium.

New Threads