Hypertrophy through non-bodybuilding movements

Reaction score
I seem to respond well to big movements like Olympic lifts for the most hypertrophy. For whatever reason, I don’t respond the best to movements typically thought of as bodybuilding exercises. This might be my OCD talking but, I’m not sure I can think of myself as a bodybuilder if I’m not training bodybuilding movements but, maybe it’s best not to argue with results. Any thoughts?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I seem to respond well to big movements like Olympic lifts for the most hypertrophy. For whatever reason, I don’t respond the best to movements typically thought of as bodybuilding exercises. This might be my OCD talking but, I’m not sure I can think of myself as a bodybuilder if I’m not training bodybuilding movements but, maybe it’s best not to argue with results. Any thoughts?

I love the Olympic lifts. You can put together a very simple program with them that hits the vast majority of your body's muscles.

Just fill in the gaps, goal dependant. For example, you wouldn't want giant arms if you plan on Oly lifting, as you'd compromise your front rack position if the biceps were just too big to allow the degree of elbow flexion required.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
Are you a beginner? If so, you'll respond to literally anything past sitting on the couch all day. Even basic cardio will build you some muscle. Of course this won't last - you will have to adopt more of a bodybuilding routine to continue growing. That's an inevitable fact I'm afraid.

I've trained on/off with OLers for years. Even they don't rely on the OL lifts for growth. Why? Many reasons. Too technically demanding to do with sufficient growth inducing volume. Workoad is spread over too many muscles (this is a bad thing over the long term for a bodybuilder). The movements rely more on neural efficiency vs strength, muscle, etc. I can go on & on but the point is: OL lifts are not designed for muscle growth. Period.

Here is a typical week for an OLer in a growth cycle - lots of basic bodybuilding compound moves, minimal volume on the OL lifts. The OL work is there to maintain proficiency (maintain/improve 1RM) and nothing more. The bodybuilding work is there to actual get some growth going:

Day 1:
Back squats 75%RM 3x10
Lower body accessory move of choice (split squats, lunges, front squats, etc) 3-5 sets of 8-12
Clean & jerk max for the day
Push press 75%RM 5x5

Day 2:
Power snatch 60%RM (of normal snatch) 2x3
Power clean & jerk 60%RM (of normal clean&jerk) 2x3
Pull ups 3x failure
Upper body rowing move of choice 3-5 sets of 8-12

Day 3:
Deadlift 80%RM 3x3
Bench press 75%RM 5x5
Pull ups 3x 75%RM of whatever you did on day 2

Day 4: off

Day 5:
Front squat 75%RM 3x5
Lower body accessory move (same as day 1)
Snatch max for the day
Shoulder press of choice 75%RM 3x5
Another upper body press move 3-5 sets of 8-12

Day 6:
Supplementary snatch work for volume
Supplementary clean work for volume
Supplementary jerk work for volume
Pull ups 3xfailure

Day 7: off

Last edited:

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Always hated that word, Hypertrophy. Way too overused by people who want to sound smarter than the person they are talking to. (not directed at you)

Now that I got that off my chest, post up a pic of those results. Big boys, big weight and big movements all walk hand in hand. If it's working for you, dance with the girl you came with. And stick around here, great group to learn from.

And thank CJ for quoting your post so it could be read. Thank Zilla for over paying for a noob posting; dude just took a year off your learning curve.

Reaction score
Thanks! I might give that program a try. But no, I am not a beginner. In fact, I have been lifting for 20 years, even competed a handful of times. My back has become decent. My arms and shoulders are so-so by bodybuilding standards. My chest kinda sucks. My legs on the other hand? Hell, if I could’ve been judged on legs alone, I’d have had a pro-card.

Are you a beginner? If so, you'll respond to literally anything past sitting on the couch all day. Even basic cardio will build you some muscle. Of course this won't last - you will have to adopt more of a bodybuilding routine to continue growing. That's an inevitable fact I'm afraid.

I've trained on/off with OLers for years. Even they don't rely on the OL lifts for growth. Why? Many reasons. Too technically demanding to do with sufficient growth inducing volume. Workoad is spread over too many muscles (this is a bad thing over the long term for a bodybuilder). The movements rely more on neural efficiency vs strength, muscle, etc. I can go on & on but the point is: OL lifts are not designed for muscle growth. Period.

Here is a typical week for an OLer in a growth cycle - lots of basic bodybuilding compound moves, minimal volume on the OL lifts. The OL work is there to maintain proficiency (maintain/improve 1RM) and nothing more. The bodybuilding work is there to actual get some growth going:

Day 1:
Back squats 75%RM 3x10
Lower body accessory move of choice (split squats, lunges, front squats, etc) 3-5 sets of 8-12
Clean & jerk max for the day
Push press 75%RM 5x5

Day 2:
Power snatch 60%RM (of normal snatch) 2x3
Power clean & jerk 60%RM (of normal clean&jerk) 2x3
Pull ups 3x failure
Upper body rowing move of choice 3-5 sets of 8-12

Day 3:
Deadlift 80%RM 3x3
Bench press 75%RM 5x5
Pull ups 3x 75%RM of whatever you did on day 2

Day 4: off

Day 5:
Front squat 75%RM 3x5
Lower body accessory move (same as day 1)
Snatch max for the day
Shoulder press of choice 75%RM 3x5
Another upper body press move 3-5 sets of 8-12

Day 6:
Supplementary snatch work for volume
Supplementary clean work for volume
Supplementary jerk work for volume
Pull ups 3xfailure

Day 7: off

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Catalyst Athletics have a bunch of free programs that are centered around the lifts.

Most look similar to what Zilla posted, so if that interests you, maybe give them a look.

Last edited:

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
What are bodybuilding movements :confused:
mechanical tension is the biggest driver of growth and can be achieved with any movement. It simply means lifting heavy weights throughout a range of movement. the time you spent doing this creates mechanical tension in the muscles. The more tension you can create, the more the muscles will grow which is why building strength and progressive overload is so important, by using progressively heavier and heavier loads overtime or increasing reps (more time under tension), we can ensure greater mechanical tension and therefore grow.

Reaction score
Catalyst Athletics have a bunch of free programs that are centered around the lifts.

Most look similar to what Zilla posted, so if that interests you, maybe give them a look.

i definitely will. Thanks, buddy!

New Threads