Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Moderator BrotherIron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Adrenaline Alley
    Posts
    431
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 402 Times in 224 Posts

    The Area of Balance...

    This concept may seem so basic that is does not require any explanation. Yet many times the fundamental factors are overlooked or forgotten, while more complicated factors are stressed. For this reason, I am calling your attention to the basic law of lifting in the following paragraphs.

    In lifting, the Area of Balance is created by the base of your feet. Any time the bar travels beyond this base, whether it is behind or in front, you have lost control of the barbell. When this happens the barbell will control your movement if you want to save the lift.

    The Area of Balance is between the middle of the heel bone and the balls of the feet and the first joint of the big toe.

    The barbell is not like a yo yo, which you can throw away from you and pull back with the snap of the wrist. If you weigh 200lbs and swing a 400lbs barbell (or for that matter a 200lbs one) away from you, you will end up traveling forward with the barbell if you want to regain control of it.

    In all your lifting, whether it is for push jerking, snatching, or deadlifting keep the bar traveling within the Area of Balance for maximum efficiency. The bar must travel within the column of air space created directly above the area your foot covers.

    In pulling, keep in mind that for every forward or backward movement of the barbell out of the Area of Balance, you are losing the height of the pull in direct proportion to the distance the travels out of the Area of Balance, besides losing control and efficiency.
    There are 2 kinds of pain in life... The pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Your choice...

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BrotherIron For This Useful Post:

    CJ275 (04-08-2020),DEADlifter (05-11-2020),DieYoungStrong (04-09-2020),Grizzly911 (04-08-2020),SFGiants (04-09-2020),Sicwun88 (04-08-2020)

  3. #2
    Elite Grizzly911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    782
    Thanks
    515
    Thanked 419 Times in 300 Posts
    That makes sense.

  4. #3
    Moderator BrotherIron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Adrenaline Alley
    Posts
    431
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 402 Times in 224 Posts
    Originally Posted by Grizzly911 View Post
    That makes sense.
    It really does but it's also overlooked by a lot of inexperienced lifters.
    There are 2 kinds of pain in life... The pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Your choice...

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to BrotherIron For This Useful Post:

    Grizzly911 (04-09-2020)

  6. #4
    Moderator-San Jin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Far East
    Posts
    9,463
    Thanks
    11,337
    Thanked 14,017 Times in 5,833 Posts
    Can you also explain what a “Pillar of Balance” is? Is that a PL thing?

    We live on an island of knowledge surrounded
    by a sea of ignorance.
    As our island of knowledge grows,
    so too does the shore of our ignorance.


  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

    DEADlifter (05-11-2020)

  8. #5
    Veteran snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    9,002
    Thanks
    6,943
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 5,003 Posts
    All this makes sense when you think about it. How the bar should be seeking a neutral center point. With the DL, you want that bar close to your shins; that Sweet Spot you talked about. For squats, first movement breaking at the hips helps to maintain this "Area of Balance" I never did it but an Oly lifter will probably live and die but this.

    Then there's my squat. Weight gets all out in front of me and I damn near get up on the balls of my feet. Everything they say about how to squat goes out the window with my body. Sometimes I think we spend too much time trying to implement some theory that we ignore basic human kinesiology. But there's a good chance I'm a bit of an anomaly and the basic concept you speak of will hold true for most.
    Hard work beats talent when talent doesnít work hard.

  9. #6
    Moderator BrotherIron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Adrenaline Alley
    Posts
    431
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 402 Times in 224 Posts
    Originally Posted by snake View Post
    All this makes sense when you think about it. How the bar should be seeking a neutral center point. With the DL, you want that bar close to your shins; that Sweet Spot you talked about. For squats, first movement breaking at the hips helps to maintain this "Area of Balance" I never did it but an Oly lifter will probably live and die but this.

    Then there's my squat. Weight gets all out in front of me and I damn near get up on the balls of my feet. Everything they say about how to squat goes out the window with my body. Sometimes I think we spend too much time trying to implement some theory that we ignore basic human kinesiology. But there's a good chance I'm a bit of an anomaly and the basic concept you speak of will hold true for most.
    One of my old coaches who most know who I'm talking about if I named him... would half squat/ half good morning when performing a squat. IT worked for him. The funny thing is he doesn't teach the squat like he does it. I watched him squat 675 like that with belt and wraps and he was damn near 50yo when he did it.
    There are 2 kinds of pain in life... The pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Your choice...

  10. #7
    Moderator BrotherIron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Adrenaline Alley
    Posts
    431
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 402 Times in 224 Posts
    Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    Can you also explain what a “Pillar of Balance” is? Is that a PL thing?
    Ya got me there. I used to know a PoB but I don't know the term in relation to lifting.
    There are 2 kinds of pain in life... The pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Your choice...

  11. #8
    Elite Flyingdragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    "There is no litter in my litter box" Phil L
    Posts
    3,358
    Thanks
    586
    Thanked 3,299 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Male Ice Skaters have great balance
    Everything heals with semen- Rise 2018

  12. #9
    Veteran snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    9,002
    Thanks
    6,943
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 5,003 Posts
    Originally Posted by BrotherIron View Post
    One of my old coaches who most know who I'm talking about if I named him... would half squat/ half good morning when performing a squat. IT worked for him. The funny thing is he doesn't teach the squat like he does it. I watched him squat 675 like that with belt and wraps and he was damn near 50yo when he did it.

    Oh yeah, I would never recommend my form to anyone from the start. That's some big weight and to be doing pushing 50 tells me your old coach really knows his body.
    Hard work beats talent when talent doesnít work hard.

  13. #10
    Moderator BrotherIron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Adrenaline Alley
    Posts
    431
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 402 Times in 224 Posts
    Originally Posted by snake View Post
    Oh yeah, I would never recommend my form to anyone from the start. That's some big weight and to be doing pushing 50 tells me your old coach really knows his body.
    That's the biggest thing... know your body. There is no one way to perform a lift. I just talked to a friend and got him to change his technique as favor for me and voila... his squat just jumped. Having experience is a big help if you don't have the years of experience yourself to know what would be the most advantageous set up for a lift.
    There are 2 kinds of pain in life... The pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Your choice...

Similar Threads

  1. Any one in the Chicago area looking for Olympic plates itís your lucky day.
    By Bobbyloads in forum General Chat & Conversation
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 04-06-2020, 01:37 AM
  2. Mild pain in the left nipple area
    By YOUTH in forum Anabolic Steroid Cycle Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-04-2020, 02:46 PM
  3. Anyone from the Seattle area
    By Thatgoodfellow in forum General Chat & Conversation
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-05-2019, 08:53 PM
  4. Pillar Of Balance EcksRat3d has a question for you....
    By EXP3RIENCE in forum General Chat & Conversation
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-25-2015, 09:12 AM
  5. Balance...
    By g0re in forum General Chat & Conversation
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-21-2012, 09:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •