Hybrid Strength Training....

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
Not sure how it could make you slower, other than just keeping your body from being acclimated to the higher %'s. I wouldn't think that would be the case though.

With all the acomodating resistance you use, you definitely shouldn't be slower.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Not sure how it could make you slower, other than just keeping your body from being acclimated to the higher %'s. I wouldn't think that would be the case though.

With all the acomodating resistance you use, you definitely shouldn't be slower.

The only thing I wondered was could this rep range change the "grey area" muscle fibers. There is a small percent which can be more inclined to go one way or the other depending on the stiumuls and is this rep range high enough to cause that shift which I don't want?

The whole point of adding the chains and bands is to keep me fast/ accelerate that bar. Since I don't have the size to leverage anymore, I gotta outrun gravity. Chains also make it easier on my joints. The bands running from the bottom up though can be hell'ish on the joints which is why I opt not to go to heavy with them. I'll probably sub out the mini's for monster mini's after a bit or I may do like I did for my speed pulls (conventional) which is bands + chain. Give myself the best of both worlds. Chains are unsteady, sway, etc and bands hit the breaks fast with the exponential increase in tension. Another reason why I love lifting... I'm the guniea pig.

Reactions: CJ

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
What is the difference between your speed day and endurance day other than sets and reps?

Speed day is with resistance. Do your endurance days include the same? Weights? %s?

BrotherIron

Reaction score
What is the difference between your speed day and endurance day other than sets and reps?

Speed day is with resistance. Do your endurance days include the same? Weights? %s?

There are a couple differences betw my speed day and my endurance days. Speed work has some accomodating resitance component to it be it chains, bands, or some combination of the 2. Endurance work is just straight bar weight. The %'s for endurance are bit higher ie. 55, 65, 75%, the reps are higher, and rest time is around 90sec.

I've always been one who does better with heavier loads and lower reps but after my last injury I switched things up. I've made solid progress albeit slow progress but I'll take every inch and in time it'll add up to a mile.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
There are a couple differences betw my speed day and my endurance days. Speed work has some accomodating resitance component to it be it chains, bands, or some combination of the 2. Endurance work is just straight bar weight. The %'s for endurance are bit higher ie. 55, 65, 75%, the reps are higher, and rest time is around 90sec.

I've always been one who does better with heavier loads and lower reps but after my last injury I switched things up. I've made solid progress albeit slow progress but I'll take every inch and in time it'll add up to a mile.

It seems the workload, and time it gets done are pretty similar between the two days just by looking at what you've described.

With you switching it up after so many years going with the higher reps, and straight weight, it seems it could simply be a new stimulus for your body to adapt to as you referenced above.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
It seems the workload, and time it gets done are pretty similar between the two days just by looking at what you've described.

With you switching it up after so many years going with the higher reps, and straight weight, it seems it could simply be a new stimulus for your body to adapt to as you referenced above.

Yeah, I try to keep the total work similar and just change intensity.

That's what I'm hoping... create some new stimulus. Now that I'm lighter 30+ lbs lighter, I figure I have to change somethings to keep marching to the finish line. The funny thing is there is no finish line. When I hit goals I set, I make new ones like I'm sure everyone else here...

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Easy day of training. Took my Org Chem Lab final. Have my Ecology Lab Final this evening. I ****ing hate online classes but with CoVid, all schools are now online and they're talking about making this way possibly even in the fall. Quick in and out...

WAVE1 WK1 DAY3
ACTIVE RECOVERY

SQUAT/ OHP

Squat~ 145x3, 195x3, 235x3, 275x10, 325x10
OHP Machine (1-arm) +mini band~ 25+Bx10, 45+Bx10, 65+Bx10, 65+Bx10
Squat/ GM Combo~ 135x5, 135x5, 135x5
GHR~ BWx8, x8
Straight Arm Pulldown/ Face Pull~ 70x10/ Mini band x15, 70x10/ Mini band x15

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
Yeah, I try to keep the total work similar and just change intensity.

That's what I'm hoping... create some new stimulus. Now that I'm lighter 30+ lbs lighter, I figure I have to change somethings to keep marching to the finish line. The funny thing is there is no finish line. When I hit goals I set, I make new ones like I'm sure everyone else here...

Was your progress stalled before you changed? Or did you change mainly because of the knee injury?

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Was your progress stalled before you changed? Or did you change mainly because of the knee injury?

No, my progress hadn't stalled at all during that time. I changed the program after an adductor injury. After the injury I dropped weight b/c I could train for months. So I opted to keep the weight down and just have fun. I hurt my knee (ACL) last year around this time but I was able to rehab it and high box squatted for months. Now, I'm good to go and slowly working back up.

Now, I did change my squat stance/technique with the help of box squatting and sumo pulling. I'm able to squat wider, open my hips more, and stay more upright and all that equals to less knee travel and my knees thank me for that. My old stance was more Oly 'esque b/c of my background.

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
Easy day of training. Took my Org Chem Lab final. Have my Ecology Lab Final this evening. I ****ing hate online classes but with CoVid, all schools are now online and they're talking about making this way possibly even in the fall. Quick in and out...

WAVE1 WK1 DAY3
ACTIVE RECOVERY

SQUAT/ OHP

Squat~ 145x3, 195x3, 235x3, 275x10, 325x10
OHP Machine (1-arm) +mini band~ 25+Bx10, 45+Bx10, 65+Bx10, 65+Bx10
Squat/ GM Combo~ 135x5, 135x5, 135x5
GHR~ BWx8, x8
Straight Arm Pulldown/ Face Pull~ 70x10/ Mini band x15, 70x10/ Mini band x15

Good work bro!

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Conditioning... didn't have much time but got in something.

Sled pulls (facing away)~ 45x140ft, 90x140ft, 115x140ft, 150x140ft, 175x140ft, 175x140ft, 175x140ft.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Never a waste of time to hit those sled pulls brother. Nice work

Thanks.

Not a bad day. I forgot I squatted on Mon but my body reminded me when I started. I cut it short b/c I'll be pulling on Fri and squatting again on Sunday. I may switch my layout to Wed, Thurs, Sun. This would give my body more time betw deads and my comp. squats. I also need to set up a lead chain for my Z-Presses so I'll do that next time.

WAVE1 WEEK1 DAY1
OHP/ SQUAT

Z-Press (speed)~ bar x many, 95x5, 105x3, x3, x3, x3, x3, x3, x3, x3, x3
took 40sec rest​
Paused B. Squat (3 sec) +85lbs chain~ 145+Cx3, 195+Cx3, 235+Cx3, 265+Cx3, 295+Cx3, 325+Cx3​
Bent Over Row~ 135x10, 185x7, x7, x7, x7
Hanging Side Lat/ Rear Delt~ 35x8/ 15x15, 35x8/ 15x15, 35x7/ 15x12​

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Some sled pulling today. I'll deadlift tomorrow.

Sled Pulls (facing away from sled)~ 45x280ft, 90x280ft, 90x280ft, 125x280ft, 125x280ft, 125x280ft, 125x280ft, 125x280ft

Wanted to work a bit more endurance today. Had to work out some things and what better way to let it out then pulling a sled on a turf.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
****... I forgot how much it SUCKS to prewrap.

I decided to break out the Titan MaxRPM's (a friend gave me a 2M a long time ago and I never used them). I learned on RPM's so I think it's fitting to start back up with them. I'll get used to wrapping again and squatting in wraps and then I'll transition back to Titan THP's. I loved my THP's. I used the SigGolds for a short time but I'm not sure I liked them more than the THP's. I'm also not sure I gave them enough time.

For anyone wondering... I break out the wraps when I'm normally at 90% of 1RM so for my 515 easy single (I hit last heavy squat session) I would break them out for 465 and heavier.

So... I wrapped myself tonight while sitting at the dinner table. What can I say. From my shit wrap (you can't wrap yourself tight) I'm certain I could load 545 and easily squat it. Time to break them out and have some fun.

Goal is to get back to 600 at 242 by the years end... time to get after it.

Last edited:

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
Only 2M? I prefer 3M, and those sig golds are stout. I've grown to love the elite kraits.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Only 2M? I prefer 3M, and those sig golds are stout. I've grown to love the elite kraits.

They were free. Can't complain with free... or at least I don't complain. Yeah, they are short but I figured since I'm a small 242 now why not break them out and give them a try. They barely make it with the way I like to wrap. I like to start from the bottom and go outward. I cross in front of the knee when at the top and then lock it in. I barely got it done (didn't really get to lock it in at the top... I normally get another wrap after the cross). I figure it would be easier with someone wrapping me b/c they could get it actually tight.

The Sigs are stout but I did like them when I used them. I couldn't wrap myself with them though. They would pump my forearms to the point I'd need to sit for a minute just to be able to get the feeling back in my forearms so I could squat, lol.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
They were free. Can't complain with free... or at least I don't complain. Yeah, they are short but I figured since I'm a small 242 now why not break them out and give them a try. They barely make it with the way I like to wrap. I like to start from the bottom and go outward. I cross in front of the knee when at the top and then lock it in. I barely got it done (didn't really get to lock it in at the top... I normally get another wrap after the cross). I figure it would be easier with someone wrapping me b/c they could get it actually tight.

The Sigs are stout but I did like them when I used them. I couldn't wrap myself with them though. They would pump my forearms to the point I'd need to sit for a minute just to be able to get the feeling back in my forearms so I could squat, lol.

Yeah exactly. they're hard as hell for self wrapping. Damn near impossible. And no i wouldn't complain about free either.

A buddy of mine is 180 and i wrapped him with 3m. That was way too much material behind his knee because of his leg size.

Ironcally i got my siggolds free not too long ago. Dude said he couldn't get them wrapped right even with pliers.

My technique used to be like you're describing. Now i do from above the knee outward. 4 wraps down the knee. X under the kneecap, then tie it off at the top.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Yeah exactly. they're hard as hell for self wrapping. Damn near impossible. And no i wouldn't complain about free either.

A buddy of mine is 180 and i wrapped him with 3m. That was way too much material behind his knee because of his leg size.

Ironcally i got my siggolds free not too long ago. Dude said he couldn't get them wrapped right even with pliers.

My technique used to be like you're describing. Now i do from above the knee outward. 4 wraps down the knee. X under the kneecap, then tie it off at the top.

Now that I think about it, they may be 2.5M wraps. I'll check in the morning. 3 for me now would be overkill. At my old weight I needed 3M.