Hybrid Strength Training....

BrotherIron

Reaction score

Hybrid Strength Training​

Thought it would be fun to put my journal on here. Perhaps, it'll help some and as always I'm always hoping to learn more too.

I originally created a program called SST (specialized strength training) which was a conglomeration of everything I had learned from the coaches I trained with over the years. Funny thing is it looked a lot like a couple of programs put together and those programs were heavily influenced by my coaches. I've dropped my weight to the lowest it's been in 13yrs (I'm 242lbs at the moment). My numbers aren't "bad" but I'm not tearing any underwear here either. I've changed my program's name to HST (hybrid strength training) b/c it's become a bit more hodgepodge to build overall strength and not specifically for the Big 3.

If you look closely, you find PLing lifts, Oly lifts, and even SM lifts in my regimen. I use the SM lifts as my conditioning. My conditioning is comprised of sled pulls, log C&P, and farmers walk, and yoke. I no longer perform the Oly classical lifts due to multiple shoulder injuries to my right shoulder.

My training is made up of macro and micro cycles. A microcycle is a 5-week block and macrocycle is a 10-week block (2 micro's). Week 5 and 10 are my active recovery weeks. I don't like to say deload b/c what does that really mean? Going lighter, ok so then why not call it recovery since the point is to recover from the difficult training. Since my last injury and my decision to downsize quite a bit, I've cut back on maximal lifts in my training to help keep me in check but that doesn't mean I'm not going to push myself. I perform speed, endurance days, volume, and heavy days for my main lifts. You'll also see I like using bands and chains. Since I don't have the bodyweight anymore, I'm trying to get as fast as possible. Gotta be able to out run gravity.

With Covid-19 being a raging bitch right now, my training is abridged. I only get 30min to train in my gym so it's fast get in and get out.

I'll post what I do now and after this shit blows over I'll come back and fully explain my regimen and of course you'll see my program return to it's full size.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Well... the governor issued a stay at home order now till May 13th, but thankfully my gym is staying open so I'm not missing any training sessions. My training sessions are limited to 30min but I'm not bitching. I feel extremely lucky to still have my spot open. Weighing in at 242 these days which is very smallish for me.

Right shoulder actually felt good with z-presses but my right elbow wasn't feeling good. Flossed it and will work on it more tomorrow.

I still perform my dynamic warm-up which is monster walks w/ hip circle (55ft down&back), lateral walks (55ft down&back), planks (1min), and glute bridges (1 set of 20). I just do 1 set b/c the time constraint. I normally would do 2 sets and also add KB swing but gotta keep some time for lifting. After I bring out my bars and get to work.

WAVE COVID WK4 DAY1
OHP/ DEADLIFT

Z-Press~ bar x many, 95x5, 135x5, 150x5, 150x5, 165x4, f.drop 135x3
Sumo Deadlift off 2" block~ 135x3, 225x3, 275x3, 315x3, 365x3, 405x5, 405x3, 405x3, 405x5
Hang Side Lateral/ Reverse-Grip Tricep Pressdown~ 35x8/50x10, 35x8/60x10, 40x8/70x8, 40x8/70x8

Last edited:

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Loving this already!!!

Was thinking about making my own log(s) for clean and presses, I bet this log will be the catalyst to get my ass moving on that project.

Already dug out some big ass stones from my yard, and bought an old army duffel bag to fill with sand.

Keep the good shit coming BI!!!

chandy

Reaction score
Loving this already!!!

Was thinking about making my own log(s) for clean and presses, I bet this log will be the catalyst to get my ass moving on that project.

Already dug out some big ass stones from my yard, and bought an old army duffel bag to fill with sand.

might wanna give those straps some reinforcement! depending on how old it is that is. anything within the last 10 years at least has been shit and would barley hold stuffing it full of clothes for the most part. i've seen so many of them rip from light ass weight u fill that thing up with sand it will surly come right off.

Reactions: CJ

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Loving this already!!!

If you're not strapped for cash, I'd recommend checking out titans. They sell strongman equipment at an amazing price. I bought a 10" steel log for something like $150 and that included shipping.

I'd check out Cerberus for sand filled bag. There's are triple stiched and hold up VERY well. I don't have any sandbags and that is a great tool for conditioning and strength. People under estimate how difficult it is to move a 150lbs sandbag. It's not easy.

In fer the log. Lucky b@stard with an open gym :)

I am pretty lucky but at least in my city I know of 3 gyms which are currently open. It would seen private facilities are still open but they don't advertise it. Mine isn't private but because of their side gigs they're still able to stay open.

might wanna give those straps some reinforcement! depending on how old it is that is. anything within the last 10 years at least has been shit and would barley hold stuffing it full of clothes for the most part. i've seen so many of them rip from light ass weight u fill that thing up with sand it will surly come right off.

I'd actually just look for a completely different alternative. I haven't looked but I'd even say check out titans equipment for your bag too. I have their farmers, log, axle, football bar, prowler, and probably something else to if I really think about it.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
I perform these shoulder rehab movements so I can continue to train with my f'd up right shoulder. If you have shoulder problems give some of these a try. Start out slow and with the easier ones and gradually add more.

Hybrid Strength Training​

SHOULDER REHAB MOVEMENTS:

Let me write down the description of each of these rehab movements b/c someone out there might benefit from them.

Wall Angels~ Stand against a wall. You head, shoulders, butt, elbows, and hands must be touching the wall at all times. Then make the top half of a snow angel on the wall. This will be difficult but it helps open up the shoulder girdle. Try to bring down the elbows as low as possible (lower them). Bring your arm up and touch them at the top, lower them all the time while keeping contact to the wall with the above-mentioned groups.

Scapular Motions~ This is easy. It's just rolling your shoulders forward, backward, upward, and downward. You don't have to hold any of these. They should be fluid movements.

Sea Turtles~ Have you ever seen a sea turtle on tv try to dig into the sand to lay its eggs? Its kinda like that. You lay on the ground (prone), facing down. Arms are overhead with a bend (in an arc). Your head should be touching the floor (face directly forward). Now you bring your arms back and away (do so in an arcing manner), lift your upper body and squeeze your shoulder blades. Then as you bring your arms back to the starting position, lower your face back down to the floor (relax completely).

Stick Stretch~ Take a broomstick and starting in front bring it up and back where it touches your behind. Then bring it forward. That is one rep.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
See it... Believe it... Achieve it...

Many of us copy and paste inspirational one-liners. Why do you do that? Do you draw from it or do you just post it b/c it sounds cool?

One of my favorites is "There are 2 kinds of pain in life... the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Your choice..."

Why is this my favorite??? You may be wondering... well I'll tell you. That quote reminds me that even though I am in pain... I'd rather be in pain from my pleasurable hell achieving what others say I couldn't than be in the pain of giving in and saying I can't.

There are some who say... I could never imagine winning this, lifting that, etc... Well, if you can't envision yourself obtaining that goal.... whatever it may be

HOW IN THE HELL WILL YOU EVER ACTUALLY DO IT?

Believe in your ability to overcome and rise above each and every obstacle that stands in your way.

See it... TRULY Believe it... and the rest will follow.

Last edited:

BrotherIron

Reaction score
I'll probably have to make a trip to the gym 1x each week just to do these. Normally I would perform these hangs 2x a week after training but since I only have 30min I don't really have the time to set this up. Now, that doesn't mean you should skip it. This helps my lower back and hips more than naything.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Thankfully a friend of mine was working at the gym today so she didn't harrass me to get done quick. I got an hour to train. Since I squatted semi heavy and didn't have my spotter, I made sure to take a full 4min rest bewteen working sets. And I trained alone I broke out an old pair of power pants (which fit correctly when I was 275) and wore them during my squat session. They were snug around the legs but not tight and extemely loose around the midsection which I expected since I'm only 245 now. Still they gave me a bit of support.

I was shocked I was able to bench with a regular bar today (haven't done that in over 16months). I brought my axle home and I didn't want to drag it with me. I did take my 75lbs chain back. I was able to bench with a regular bar with zero shoulder pain which was fan'****ing'tastic. I floss my right elbow before I left for and iI think that helped a bunch. I'll floss it again in a bit.

So overall not a bad day. Tomrorow, I'll pull my speed sled I have a home and Sunday it's speed deads & pause squats.

WAVE Covid WK 4 DAY 2
SQUAT/ BENCH
Squat~ 145x3, 235x3, 285x3, 325x1, 375x1, 415x1, 455x1, 485x1, 515x1, r.band 545x1
CGBP +75lbs chain~ bar+C x many, 95+Cx7, 135+Cx5, 160+Cx5, 180+Cx5, 200+Cx5, 200+Cx5
GHR/ Face Pull~ BWx10/ Red Mini x20,BWx10/ Red Mini x20, BWx10/ Red Mini x20

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
Strong work. Interested in seeing your programming in the future.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Strong work. Interested in seeing your programming in the future.

Thanks. I was happy with today. All sets were walked out. I'd like to squat in a mono if there was one close when life goes back to normal, but unfortunately the closest one is an hour and change away and I don't have that kind of drive time.

The only thing I wasn't happy about was that I couldn't video my squats. I like to review my training sessions after but that would eat up the little time I have so it'll have to wait till things go back to normal which hopefully will be mid May.

My programming will change a bit but the skeleton remains the same. You'll see that I'll have more accessory work in and you'll see my conditioning will change b/c I'll have more at my disposal.

At least my programming remains the same for the time being. It looks like this now:

WED ~ OHP/ Deadlift/ Accessories

FRI ~ Squat/ Bench/ Accessories

SUN ~ Deadlift/ Squat/ Accessories

I plan on pulling my sled 2x week. (Will mostly likely be Thurs and Sat)

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
Thanks. I was happy with today. All sets were walked out. I'd like to squat in a mono if there was one close when life goes back to normal, but unfortunately the closest one is an hour and change away and I don't have that kind of drive time.

The only thing I wasn't happy about was that I couldn't video my squats. I like to review my training sessions after but that would eat up the little time I have so it'll have to wait till things go back to normal which hopefully will be mid May.

My programming will change a bit but the skeleton remains the same. You'll see that I'll have more accessory work in and you'll see my conditioning will change b/c I'll have more at my disposal.

At least my programming remains the same for the time being. It looks like this now:

WED ~ OHP/ Deadlift/ Accessories

FRI ~ Squat/ Bench/ Accessories

SUN ~ Deadlift/ Squat/ Accessories

I plan on pulling my sled 2x week. (Will mostly likely be Thurs and Sat)

I felt the same this week. I've never felt more spoiled with squatting than I did this past week without the mono. Walking out, setting wide, and finding that ideal position is going to be a task.

OHP as main focus over bench? Interesting. Sleds had been my go to for recovery after heavy lower days.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
I felt the same this week. I've never felt more spoiled with squatting than I did this past week without the mono. Walking out, setting wide, and finding that ideal position is going to be a task.
OHP as main focus over bench? Interesting. Sleds had been my go to for recovery after heavy lower days.

Hadn't been able to bench for almost a year and a half so it was just programmed that way. I will say though... I believe there is a positive correlation between OHP and bench but not the other way around.

I should also mention the layout is:

1st lift main lift/ 2nd lift variation of main lift/ 3rd (supersetted mvts) accessory lift for weak point or rehab.

Last edited:

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Pulled my speed sled backwards today. Pulled it 80feet down & back (160ft total) for 6 walks. It was easy but it was nice getting back on the pavement and pulling. I'll up it 35lbs next time. I have 2, 45's and 2, 35's to use.

I'll also probably use my axle and create a 4th day (Fluff day). Just a light day where I do light weight for a lot of reps.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Only got around 45min today in the gym but I'll be honest... I'm still feeling blessed to be able to hit the gym. Had to warm up outside and I prefer to do that so it doesn't cut into my training time. I lose enough just getting my stuff from the back and setting up.

I decided to have a bit of fun today with my speed work. I broke out the elitefts short orange bands and still threw 1 large chain set to the bar. The total added weight is around 135lbs so you the bar weight + additional weight would give you the total weight lifted. I normally perform speed work with triples but my squat day on Friday took it out of me. That's also why I dropped my last set on pause squats and opted to put in a fatigue drop instead.

WAVE CoVid WK4 DAY3
DEADLIFT/ SQUAT
Speed Deads +orange short band +45lbs chain~ 135+C+Bx2, 225+C+Bx2, 225+C+Bx2, 245+C+Bx2, 245+C+Bx2, 245+C+Bx2, 245+C+Bx2,
275+C+Bx2, 275+C+Bx2, 275+C+Bx2, 275+C+Bx2, 275+C+Bx2​
Pause Back Squat (3 sec)~ 135x3, 185x3, 225x3, 275x3, 305x3, 335x3, f.drop 305x6
WideGrip Pulldown/ Incline Biceps Curl~ 100x12/30x8, 120x10/30x8, 130x10/30x8, 130x8

BrotherIron

Reaction score
While reading my log, you may wonder how to set some of it up.. Here's what speed pulls looked like on Sun. In the past, I would just break out 3 sets of big chain but that was cumbersome and I don't have time to do that right now. I think I'll give this set up a go for a couple training blocks and see how I like it.

Hybrid Strength Training Log​

InkedSpeed_Pull_SetUp.jpg

New Threads