Hybrid Strength Training....

BrotherIron

Reaction score
A decent day. Right elbow is still irritated but left is feeling better. Gotta keep flossing and I may take an Aleeve but I doubt it.

WAVE5 WEEK4 DAY3
OHP/ SQUAT

Z-Press~ 75x4, 95x4, 115x4, 135x4, 150x4, 165x4, 180x4
OH Pin Press (standing)~ 115x3, 135x3, 150x3, 165x3
Oly Front Squat~ 135x3, 185x3, 235x3, 265x3, 295x3, 235x8
Front Raise (cable)~ 20x10, 30x7, x7, 40x6/ 30x10
Rear Delt (cable)~ 20x15, x15

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
Ever tried elbows cuffs or sleeves?

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Ever tried elbows cuffs or sleeves?

I've tried sleeves and that actually irritates my elbow. I just have to floss it EOD and see if putting more elbow flexion helps it. Going to do some research and see what I can come up with.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
If I switch to sumo and there is a possibility that will happen, I'm going to think of what my main assisting lifts will be:

- Deficit sumo pulls (small deficit like 1")
- RDL
- Conv. pulls
- Paused sumo pulls

I'm thinking with sleep, food, etc correct I may have a shot at 545 for sumo. I'm not worried one bit about hitting 515-525.

This will be a big shift for me b/c I never really trained sumo but it seems to be going smoother for me and the numbers are progressing pretty easily. I'll guess we'll have to wait and see what I decide to do.

Last edited:

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
When I use to do sumo I did a ton of cable pull Throughs in my sumo stance

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
When I use to do sumo I did a ton of cable pull Throughs in my sumo stance

Before ever doing sumo I use to do a lot of wide stance box squating and it seemed to carry over immediately

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Before ever doing sumo I use to do a lot of wide stance box squating and it seemed to carry over immediately

I've noticed that. My box squat is with a parallel height box and I perform it with a wide stance. I've noticed it has helped widen my squat in general and aid in me being able to pull sumo in the first place. I also like to perform them with bands.

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
I've noticed that. My box squat is with a parallel height box and I perform it with a wide stance. I've noticed it has helped widen my squat in general and aid in me being able to pull sumo in the first place. I also like to perform them with bands.

yeah I was at a 585 parallel box squat before I tried sumo. After a few weeks of a 5/3/1 run with it I did a 340x20+ reps but by the time I got to 405 later on I could only get like three reps lol. Eventually pulled 520 sumo but it was a bumpy road cause I had a horrible hip issue at the time that made me unable to do conventional and some days I couldn't break 315 off the floor sumo. fkin hate deadlifts hahaha. was my favorite lift when I started though

BrotherIron

Reaction score
I never liked box squatting till I injured my knee and had to really learn it and work it correctly. I wasn't sitting back, spreading the floor, pausing on the box, and not rocking forward to perform the lift. Once I began to really put in the effort to correctly perform the movement, I noticed it helped other lifts. It also allowed me to train while rehabbing and letting my knee heal.

That's the biggest thing I've noticed as I've gotten older, I've become more open minded and began giving things a chance. In the past I would never pull sumo and I wouldn't box squat. Perhaps, I've become a bit wiser...

Last edited:

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
I never liked box squatting till I injured my knee and had to really learn it and work it correctly. I wasn't sitting back, spreading the floor, pausing on the box, and not rocking forward to perform the lift. Once I began to really put in the effort to correctly perform the movement, I noticed it helped other lifts. It also allowed me to train while rehabbing and letting my knee heal.

That's the biggest thing I've noticed as I've gotten older, I've become more open minded and began giving things a chance. In the past I would never pull sumo and I wouldn't box squat. Perhaps, I've become a bit wiser...

100% agree. I believe box squats are just as effective, if not more than regular squats. Especially, with the ease of teaching/learning, safety, and recovery aspects alone.

Reactions: PZT

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
If not competing I don’t see why anyone would need to do full ROM squats. In saying that I’m a dumbass and still free squat haha

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
If not competing I don’t see why anyone would need to do full ROM squats. In saying that I’m a dumbass and still free squat haha

Agreed. If not competing, box squats are just fine. The pro's definitely outweigh the cons.

I wish I would have stuck with box squats more in my prep instead of forcing my comp squat.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
I'll be honest... I'll probably always back squat with full ROM but that's because of my early lifting days. I was an Oly lifter first and then switched over to PLing so I just don't feel right if I don't perform back squats.

I will say though. I'm really enjoying box squats. It's damn fun to box squat with bands. Something new... which makes things fresh and fun. Let's also be honest... it's all about having fun, pushing numbers, and learning.

Last edited:

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Active recovery which means quick and easy. Nice to have a small break. Decided to take out OHP today to give my elbow a rest. I stress it enough with my low bar squats.

WAVE5 WEEK5 DAY1
SQUAT/ OHP

Back Squat~ 145x3, 195x3, 235x3, 275x7, 325x7
SSB GM~ 155x10, x10
GHR~ BWx10, x10

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
I'll be honest... I'll probably always back squat with full ROM but that's because of my early lifting days. I was an Oly lifter first and then switched over to PLing so I just don't feel right if I don't perform back squats.

I will say though. I'm really enjoying box squats. It's damn fun to box squat with bands. Something new... which makes things fresh and fun. Let's also be honest... it's all about having fun, pushing numbers, and learning.

same it just seems free squats are the gauge lol

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Something I came across which may be a a fun variation to try is zercher box squats. Take the compression out of the spine and really work on bracing to stay upright. Even if I don't perform them on a box I may give them a shot.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Active recovery day 2. Slept wrong so my back was not feeling good but I didn't want to puss out.

WAVE5 WEEK5 DAY2
DEADLIFT/ BENCH

Conv. Deadlift~ 135x3, 225x3, 275x7, x7
Floor Press~ 105x7, 135x10, x10
LowCable Row~ 90x10, x10
Incline Curl~ 25x10, x10

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
Something I came across which may be a a fun variation to try is zercher box squats. Take the compression out of the spine and really work on bracing to stay upright. Even if I don't perform them on a box I may give them a shot.

ive always been a puss and never done them. I’ve done a front squat box squat before. It was a challenge cause you can’t rock back on the box because you lose the fkin bar lol. I missed a 415 front squat long time ago on the way up and caught it in a zercher. That sucked. Wish I had it on video haha

BrotherIron

Reaction score
ive always been a puss and never done them. I’ve done a front squat box squat before. It was a challenge cause you can’t rock back on the box because you lose the fkin bar lol. I missed a 415 front squat long time ago on the way up and caught it in a zercher. That sucked. Wish I had it on video haha

Oly front squats are in my training. I hadn't performed them for almost 6months but I've put them back in and they always had a big carryover to conventional pulls. I've never tried zerchers. My go to squat variations were always front squat, pause squat, concentric squat (bottom up squat). I've since subbed out concentric squats for box squats.

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
Oly front squats are in my training. I hadn't performed them for almost 6months but I've put them back in and they always had a big carryover to conventional pulls. I've never tried zerchers. My go to squat variations were always front squat, pause squat, concentric squat (bottom up squat). I've since subbed out concentric squats for box squats.

I’ve always thought pause squats are good for everyone, for strength anyway.

New Threads