Hybrid Strength Training....

Reaction score
Good job keeping up with the school stuff man. I know it's hard, but it pays off.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
Ever heard the old saying... everyone's got a plan till they get punched? Well, this Org2 Chem class has already landed some impressive blows.

The layout meathead and I worked on may be optimal but it's not going to work this semester with this class. I have a ton of work for this class and Monday is a continued crunch day to get it all done before Tues (I didn't procrastinate, I've been working on it over the weekend too). So I'm switching my schedule to the following to accommodate this class. B/c let's be honest, I want a schedule I can adhere to 99% of the time so it has work with everything else.

WED - Squat
THUR - Fluff
SAT - Deadlift
SUN - OHP

Conditioning will be probably Mon OR Fri.

Still looks good with that setup you presented. As long as the bench accessory on Saturday doesn't affect your OHP Sunday, run it for as long as you can.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Still looks good with that setup you presented. As long as the bench accessory on Saturday doesn't affect your OHP Sunday, run it for as long as you can.

I'm sure it'll take a bit of a hit but I think this schedule will give me the time I need for my Org 2 Chem class.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
This ****ing rack is the bane of my existence. The ****ing j-hooks are deeper than the Grand Canyon and the height is just a 1/2" - 1" to high. I already put 1/2" horse stall mat on top of the cage but it's not high enough. I may look for a thicker mat but to be honest, I think it's time to locate a mono. Still had a solid day. Weighed in at 252 today so not bad. I also used a monster mini for my machine OHP. I cut back on my lifts after squats b/c the rack just kills me and zaps my energy.

Also, those who wrap themselves know how much that sucks. I need to have someone wrap me so I can have a tight wrap and also have energy after. Prewrapping and wrapping myself takes it out of me. Still solid day though.

WAVE3 WEEK4 DAY1
SQUAT/ OHP

Squat~ 145x3, 235x1, 325x1, 375x1, 425x1, 465x1, 505x1, 535x1, 565x1
wrapped myself for the 535 and 565 sets.
Machine OHP +monster mini (each arm)~ band x many, 25+Bx7, 50+Bx7, 75+Bx7, 90+Bx7, 100+Bx7, 110+Bx7
Sissy Squat w/ KB~ 60x12/ BWx5, 60x12/ BWx5
SSB Good Morning~ 135x8, 185x8, x8, x8
GHR/ Seated Leg Curl~ BWx8/ 70x10, BWx7/ 70x10

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
I remember prerolling the wraps use to get my hands soooo pumped lol. Squats looking good. I am hoping my body doesn't brake before I get to go for 540 to 555. Fingers crossed.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
I remember prerolling the wraps use to get my hands soooo pumped lol. Squats looking good. I am hoping my body doesn't brake before I get to go for 540 to 555. Fingers crossed.

My forearms were shot. The only good thing about wrapping myself is I don't consider it a tight wrap so I was standing there shaking my hands to get feeling back before setting up. I can't wait to have someone wrap me... but by that time I'll be back probably in he 6's.

Reactions: PZT

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
My forearms were shot. The only good thing about wrapping myself is I don't consider it a tight wrap so I was standing there shaking my hands to get feeling back before setting up. I can't wait to have someone wrap me... but by that time I'll be back probably in he 6's.
yeah the thub pads take a beating too. 600s just sounds cooler than 500s hahaha

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
Self wrapping does suck. I have at least 3 pairs pre rolled on hand to prevent having to roll them again. Good work.

Reactions: PZT

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
Self wrapping does suck. I have at least 3 pairs pre rolled on hand to prevent having to roll them again. Good work.

on guy I handle at meets has some short black and thick wraps that I hate wrapping him for squats with. I am usually sweating more than him after he finishes an attempt lol.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
on guy I handle at meets has some short black and thick wraps that I hate wrapping him for squats with. I am usually sweating more than him after he finishes an attempt lol.

Yeah that sucks. I got a pair of pioneers like that. Basically the same as the Titan Golds. Absolute bastards to use, wrap, and almost impossible to self wrap with.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Yeah that sucks. I got a pair of pioneers like that. Basically the same as the Titan Golds. Absolute bastards to use, wrap, and almost impossible to self wrap with.

I LOVE the Titan Sig Golds. That's what I used to wear when wrapped. Right now I'm using the THP's. Easier to wrap and not as stiff.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Time to up the band weight on box squats. I just ordered this mini's and now next week I'll order a pair of monster mini's.

WAVE3 WEEK4 DAY4
OHP/ SQUAT

Z-Press~ bar x many, 95x5, 135x4, 155x4, 155x5, 175x4
Box Squat +red mini~ 135+Bx3, 185+Bx3, 225+Bx3, 275+Bx3, 315+Bx3, 345+Bx3, 375+Bx3
Standing OH Pin Press~ 135x3, 160x3, 180x3, 200x3, f.drop 160x5
Side Lat. Cable~ 27x7, 33x7, 33x7/ 22x10
Rear Delt/ Face Pull~ 17x10/ 49x20 for 2 sets

BrotherIron

Reaction score
I got the monster mini ordered so next week I'll be ready to add more band tension (mini to monster mini). I figure I'll train with the monster mini for a couple blocks and then it's time to switch to a light band.

I'm going to keep OHP to mini's for my shoulder's sake. Trained with the monster mini a couple times with OHP but I think it's a bit much for my right shoulder. I'd just rather increase the bar/ machine weight.

I'm going to keep my regiment the same for the next training block. Time is always a factor so I'm always looking to cram in more with very little time. One change I'm implementing is Sissy squats with 2 KB since mine top out at 60lbs. I'm going to try 2, 40lbs KB and go from there. That way I could work up to 120lbs (with 2, 60lbs KB).

Last edited:

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Just learned today that my Org 2 Chem class is with an insane prof. She will be covering the entire book during the semester while other prof's only cover half the book. I was wondering why everything seemed to be going so fast.... know I know why. We've been covering a chpt a day while other profs have been covering a chpt a week.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Just learned today that my Org 2 Chem class is with an insane prof. She will be covering the entire book during the semester while other prof's only cover half the book. I was wondering why everything seemed to be going so fast.... know I know why. We've been covering a chpt a day while other profs have been covering a chpt a week.

Bartending school and organic chemistry, eh?

Hopefully you can come up with some new form of delicious, drinkable intoxicant.

Reaction score
The stuff y'all do with bands...any good resources online for reading about this? I don't understand it or know anything about it.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
The stuff y'all do with bands...any good resources online for reading about this? I don't understand it or know anything about it.

Honestly, I'd look up anything from westside barbell since they came up with the idea of using bands. You don't have to follow their %'s or tension amounts for training but it'll help you understand the purpose and application of bands. You notice I use mini's choked which is around 50lbs tension and WSBB would say for my 275 bar should have around 120 in band tension (and you notice I use around half that). Now, I'm upping my band tension to monster mini's which will be around 70lbs but WSBB would suggest I use lights which would be around 100 choked.

I'll write something probably Friday explaining bands and their uses.

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd look up anything from westside barbell since they came up with the idea of using bands. You don't have to follow their %'s or tension amounts for training but it'll help you understand the purpose and application of bands. You notice I use mini's choked which is around 50lbs tension and WSBB would say for my 275 bar should have around 120 in band tension (and you notice I use around half that). Now, I'm upping my band tension to monster mini's which will be around 70lbs but WSBB would suggest I use lights which would be around 100 choked.

I'll write something probably Friday explaining bands and their uses.

Ok, thanks. I did some quick searches on UG last night and didn't find much.

My assumption though is that they are good for competitive strength training because the weight gets progressively harder as you move through the lift - making it easier to lift heavier for competitions when you're not using the bands? Is this kind of the jyst?

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I did some quick searches on UG last night and didn't find much.

My assumption though is that they are good for competitive strength training because the weight gets progressively harder as you move through the lift - making it easier to lift heavier for competitions when you're not using the bands? Is this kind of the jyst?

I would say strength training in general. You can get stronger by lifting heavier loads OR by moving the loads faster. Chains and bands accomplish both.

New Threads