6 month bulk update

Reaction score
Not sure where I stand in this bulk cycle. I started a slow bulk at 185 6 months ago while at a TRT dosage. I am into my current 750mg test 12 weeks and am currently sitting at 195. Strength is up some, diet is 3800 50/30/20. Lifting 5 days a week on a twice a week body part split setup with a heavy compound one day coupled with light accessory for another part. I am unhappy with my results and feel as if something backwards is going on here. Pic posted for reference. The B&W pic is from 6 months ago at 185 before cycle. Current at 195 is on the right. I am 6’2 so either way both of these weights are light all things considered. Perhaps I don’t have the frame or genetics to be a lean 220Lb guy. Seems every time I try to bulk (even conservatively) It just turns out to be fat then I cut back down to the same previous weight. Buddy of mine suggested I might be a non responder but I don’ believe that is even a real thing.

Attachments

• 87D74F7C-77A1-4AEA-97BF-8CD84C07A58C.jpg
    87D74F7C-77A1-4AEA-97BF-8CD84C07A58C.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 24

motown1002

Elite
Reaction score
Have you done any blood work? I am curious to see what your test levels are. What does your workouts "really" look like. You gained 10 pounds in 6 months, or in 12 weeks. If its in 12 weeks, I wouldnt complain too much. Are you taking an AI? I dont think you are gaining fat. From those small pics and my old eyes, it looks like some water retention to me. Blood work will tell you if your gear and AI is good. If both are good, you need to look at diet and training. We need a little more info to give you some better ideas.

Reaction score
Blood work showed total test just before next pin to be 2600 with 565 free test. Taking .25mg adex day after pin twice weekly.

motown1002

Elite
Reaction score
With test levels that high, its got to be food. Bricks is right on. Bump up those cals.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
From the info given you need to eat more.

With test levels that high, its got to be food. Bricks is right on. Bump up those cals.

All due respect brother Bricks and Mo, 3,800 cals for a 195 lb guy is not too bad. And given the way he looks now, more cals. may just be more fat.

It's a little concerning that 750 Test only has you popping a 2,600 TT, that seems off to me. You should be a good 1k more. Forget that non-responder shit. Where your at, 6'-2" 195 you have room to grow. And even with average genetics, improvements could be made. I have a feeling the issue maybe in your workout, anything change there? Take the time to post it; I'd like to see it.

When you bulk, you're going to lose that chiseled look you had at 185 but you should be trading it for mass. Sorry to say it but I don't see the trade-off. I harp on this and most guys don't listen and end up guessing; you need to take measurements. Bet you don't have any.

Reaction score
All due respect brother Bricks and Mo, 3,800 cals for a 195 lb guy is not too bad. And given the way he looks now, more cals. may just be more fat.

It's a little concerning that 750 Test only has you popping a 2,600 TT, that seems off to me. You should be a good 1k more. Forget that non-responder shit. Where your at, 6'-2" 195 you have room to grow. And even with average genetics, improvements could be made. I have a feeling the issue maybe in your workout, anything change there? Take the time to post it; I'd like to see it.

When you bulk, you're going to lose that chiseled look you had at 185 but you should be trading it for mass. Sorry to say it but I don't see the trade-off. I harp on this and most guys don't listen and end up guessing; you need to take measurements. Bet you don't have any.

I actually do have measurements! I am OCD about it. Starting - waist 33, chest 43.75, arms, 15.75, quads 22, calves 14. Current waist 36, chest 44, arms 15.75, quads 22.25, calves 14. I will post my workout shortly.

Last edited:

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I actually do have measurements! I am OCD about it. Starting - waist 33, chest 43.75, arms, 15.75, quads 22, calves 14. Current waist 36, chest 44, arms 15.75, quads 22.25, calves 14. I will post my workout shortly.
Good man. Not the part that's going to sting a little. That right there is telling me you're not putting on muscle but are putting on fat. Glad you had kept the records.

Get that work out posted up.

Ragingmenace223

Reaction score
is it normal to gain 3 inchs on ur waist during a bulk and only gaining ten lbs? its got to be all fat... i only have seen that in people who juice and dont work out ...im not a dr though. so im curious now...keep us posted would really like to see what u eat and what ur work outs are..is your thyroid ok?

Ragingmenace223

Reaction score
ur measurements are pretty much mine except my waist is 30 to 31....ur in the right place all these members have helped me a lot...post ur diet as in nutirents and work out and these guys will def. figure it out

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
Good man. Not the part that's going to sting a little. That right there is telling me you're not putting on muscle but are putting on fat. Glad you had kept the records.

I have to agree here. 3 inches on your waist and only a quarter inch on chest and leg measurements is very telling.

Also 50/30/20 is what? Protein/carbs/fat? I cant imagine that you are eating 475g of protein per day. Can you clarify?

motown1002

Elite
Reaction score
Good catch Snake. I said at the beginning its either food or training. Im thinking if his training was on he could stand to eat more. But with measurements the only thing growing is the waist.

Post that workout with your rep ranges.

Reaction score

Day 1- chest/shoulders
Flat bench - 3 x 8-12
Decline - 3 x 8-12
Incline DB - 3 x 8-12
Forward dips - 3 x AMRAP
Light shoulders
Lateral raises - 4 x 10-15
Rear lateral raises - 4 x 10-15

Day 2 arms/back
Feet forward dips - 3 x AMRAP
Incline skullcrushers - 3 x 8-12
Cable pressdown - 3 x 8-12
Barbell curls - 3 x 8-12
Hammer curls - 3 x 8-12
Light back
Chin up - 3 x AMRAP
Low cable row - 3 x 8-12
Lat pulldown - 3 x 8-12

Day 3 rest

Day 4 legs/chest
Squat - 3 x 8-12
Weighted lunges - 3 x 30
Leg ext. - 3 x 15-20
SL deadlift - 3 x 10-12
Lying ham curl - 3 x 12-15
Light chest
DB together flat press - 3 x 8-12
DB together incline press - 3 x 8-12
Pec deck - 3 x 12-15

Day 5 shoulders/arms
Standing OHP - 3 x 8-12
Upright row - 3 x 8-12
Lateral raises - 3 x 12-15
Facepulls - 3 x 12-15
Light arms
CG bench - 3 x 8-12
Rope pressdown - 3 x 8-12
Cable curl - 3 x 8-12
Rope curl - 3 x 8-12

Day 6 back/legs
Deadlift - 3 x 8-12
BB row - 3 x 8-12
Pullups - 3 x AMRAP
High cable row - 3 x 8-12
Light legs
Leg ext - 3 x 15-20
Walking lunges - 3 x 30
Ham curl (seated) - 3 x 15-20
BB calf raises - 5 x 25

Last edited:

Maijah

Elite
Reaction score
Something is def off. Not to sound rude but you looked better in the before pic. Are you really training with 110% intensity or just going through the motions? Only you know what you're putting in. You seem like a lean guy I can't imagine you'd put on too much fat, if your gear is gtg and you are eating the amount of calories you say, it has to be training. I literally punish myself in the gym. Sometimes I can barely drive myself home cause my arms feel like Jell-O.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
Did you only get test done on bloodwork? your test seems underdosed but 2600 is still high and you should have put on much more size (especially more muscle). Something is off, maybe thyroid?

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
I don't see how it is not diet and training?

If he was natural we would all say check that.

Weight, size is always calorie based.

He is on some bunk shit though!

Snake is right he should be testing at least 3000 on 750mg a week of GOOD test.

But I think more calories is also correct, does not have to be a lot more either.

Then again 10 pounds in 6 months gained is nothing to sniff at either.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I want to correct whatever is going wrong now before I get stuck in a corner with too much fat to bulk further and have to cut back down again. I train with high intensity and aggression. When I’m nearing my last few reps if I feel it close to failure or really just feeling a good MM connection then I will rep out until it feels like blowtorches on the muscle in question. This is the best way I can describe my level of intensity. BTW snake thanks for fixing that. I couldn’t figure out what was going on lol. Aside from total and free test my PSA was good, estro (non sensitive) was 71, SHBG 25 (15-95), prolactin 23.4, hematocrit 55, Bun/cr 22.31(10-20)

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
How much protein are you getting in daily? This makes a huge difference. A calorie isn't always a calorie especially when you want muscle over just general weight.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I want other brothers to weigh in on this workout.

With this stuff, I will try not to give you something that looks like my workout because everyone is different. First thing that jumped out to me is all that tricep and shoulder work you're getting.

Day 1 is chest which involves a lot of tricep ahd shoulder, Day 2 is direct tri work with indirect shoulder work. Day 4 is indirect tri and shoulder work. Day 5 is direct tri and shoulder work. Day 6 is indirect shoulder work. You're almost doing the same when you look at the bicep work/back/shoulder work. All that and you have no elbow or shoulder pain?

As for legs, I'm a big believer in once a week. I get it's light but you should still be a little gimpy 2 days after legs.

I think Seek touched on this in another thread and maybe he can chime in because I think you need more work on the compound movements and less on the other stuff. Those movements; the bench, squats, DL should be the first thing you do and you should be shot after 4-5 hellish sets of them.

Are you taking off on day 7? Reason I ask is because you could use the rest if you're not. If I may ask, how old are you?

My opinion, this screams over training to me. The next thing is a little sensitive and I don't need an answer but are you putting forth your best effort, mainly on those big movements or are you holding out because that's a long ass workout? And speaking about time, how's your rest time between sets? Somethings are okay to move quickly on but those compound movements require a long rest time.

Take this next advice from someone who knows. You want those calves to grow, well, I quote BRIKS on this one, "You need to make them bleed".

The good thing is that if I'm right, on or off gear you should start to grow like a weed. I think your lack of progress is in your workout but I would like to hear from the other brother.