Belly Fat & Overall Wright Loss Questions

Reaction score
I'm posting this on behalf of my ex wife.

She started at 232 lbs. and dropped down to ~218 lbs. However, she's currently weighs around 222 lbs. and plateau.

She's 5'3 and 34 years old.

Supplements: AML Thermoheat & Nighttime

Her exercise regimen consists of stationary bike and a squat device similar to the one below.

She wants to stick to cardio.

Question: I know spot reduction of fat isn't realistic. For some reason, after turning 30, it's been a challenge for her to lose her belly fat.

Can someone recommend a regimen, foods or supplement? Thank you in advanced!s-l400.jpg

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Its a slow process and she just needs to keep at it..Diet and cardio are the way ..Each week try to increase the intensity and stay on the diet no cheats at all

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
at her height, a healthy weight for her would be around 135-140.
weight is lost from the body together, so you are correct in she won't lose belly fat only before the rest.
it's going to come down to diet and cardio/weight training, being ultra consistent and giving it time.
#1 is consistentsy.
have her look up her numbers with a tdee calculator: https://tdeecalculator.net
then download myfitnesspal and have her use that religiously to track her cals/macros and stay on point.
if she can't do this on her own, find her a diet coach to help her and keep her account table.
best of luck

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
Cardio consistancy, if you can manage 2 sessions of 30 or more minutes a day totalling one hour or more 5 to 7 days a week for a year or more

dont expect to see anything magnificent in less than 6 months

Reaction score
at her height, a healthy weight for her would be around 135-140.
weight is lost from the body together, so you are correct in she won't lose belly fat only before the rest.
it's going to come down to diet and cardio/weight training, being ultra consistent and giving it time.
#1 is consistentsy.
have her look up her numbers with a tdee calculator:
then download myfitnesspal and have her use that religiously to track her cals/macros and stay on point.
if she can't do this on her own, find her a diet coach to help her and keep her account table.
best of luck

Thank you for the link and advice.

BTW, I had to edit the quote and remove the link in order for me to reply to your post.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Also, very important that she eat adequate protein. Shoot for a gram per pound for her GOAL weight. To make it simple, have her eat 125g of protein per day. Ballpark is fine, as long as you're close to that number, you're good, 100g-150g per day. This will help prevent her body from eating away at muscle tissue when it needs protein during her diet.

Also, resistance training is key in addition to calorie restriction and cardio, to prevent muscle tissue loss. I'm sure you'd both rather her lose bodyfat, and not lean tissue, correct? It doesn't have to be much, but you have to give the signal to the body that it NEEDS that muscle otherwise you run the risk of becoming the dreaded... Skinny Fat, and look like a melting candle. 3x per week, full body training, about 30 mins each session.

KuriousKitty

Lady Member
Reaction score
I’d also suggest she get her hormone levels checked. It’s difficult to lose the weight as we age if you have underlying hormone imbalances.

chandy

Reaction score
i'd say if she likes to sit and watch tv tell her to get on the bike. she doesn't have to go super hard or fast. but if she's on while infront of the tv she'll be entertained and could keep going for a long time. which is a lot better than just sitting there while watch. but i would 100% agree with CJ. she needs the higher intensity as well. but being on it and going at some pace for hours while watching TV is better than sitting on the couch. and with cardio you can be on it all day pretty much as long as she's eating the right amount of protein which CJ went into more detail about.

other than that tell her eat a lot more fruit and veggies. stop eating a lot of the fat that is probably being eaten. so at least change to low fat or 0 fat foods for the most part. her diet is the most important thing in all of this. she can do all the cardio in the world but if she's still eating well over the cals to get to her weight she is trying to get it will never happen. find something that will work for her. some people. need some kind of sweet every day. some can wait a week. going cold turkey isn't always best because either people get scared of them and it can be bad. or as soon as they have something sweet again after a long time they will crave it and won't stop themselves.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Also, very important that she eat adequate protein. Shoot for a gram per pound for her GOAL weight. To make it simple, have her eat 125g of protein per day. Ballpark is fine, as long as you're close to that number, you're good, 100g-150g per day. This will help prevent her body from eating away at muscle tissue when it needs protein during her diet.

Also, resistance training is key in addition to calorie restriction and cardio, to prevent muscle tissue loss. I'm sure you'd both rather her lose bodyfat, and not lean tissue, correct? It doesn't have to be much, but you have to give the signal to the body that it NEEDS that muscle otherwise you run the risk of becoming the dreaded... Skinny Fat, and look like a melting candle. 3x per week, full body training, about 30 mins each session.

THIS... Weight training will burn more Kcal since it'll be burning for a longer period and you're also talking about building a bit of muscle instead of just doing cardio which builds nothing and just burns. Why not kill 2 birds with 1 stone?

Death

Lady Member
Reaction score
I would also recommend she weight train, as well as do cardio and be in a calorie deficit. If she doesn’t combine this weight loss journey with strength training she may end up “skinny fat“ at the end point. Even if she loses 1-2 lb a week, she may still be able to gain muscle with the newbie gains phenomenon and at the very least she would help maintain muscle mass. I agree with above saying she should eat 1 G protein per pound of Her goal body weight.

she should weigh and measure EVERYTHING she eats and use MyFitnessPal or similar! Do not trust serving sizes saying “2 tbsp” - boy did my jaw drop when I saw what a serving size of peanut butter actually is when you WEIGH it versus using the measuring spoons.

From a medical professional’s perspective, she should get her hormone levels checked - test, estradiol, FHS, TSH just to make sure there isn’t anything hobbling her ability to lose weight.

I’ve had several obese friends have amazing transformations with a keto diet, the benefit being people on keto tend to not have cravings and feel satiated more easily so it makes it more tolerable to be in a deficit for a long duration.

But if she is a carbaholic Or emotional eater she needs to address these underlying issues too. Many people super underestimate how much they eat per day. And people eat in secret or blow their daily intake easily with just one indulgent thing like accepting the donut at the office or the ice cream sundae with the kids etc. if she has any disordered and emotional eating issues I’d strongly suggest Mindfulness Eating workbooks/books/ audiobooks, and getting herself out of the house and away from the food in the kitchen and onto hobbies and pastimes instead.

Reactions: Jin

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
...boy did my jaw drop when I saw what a serving size of peanut butter actually is when you WEIGH it versus using the measuring spoons.

"If I can get it on a tablespoon, I'm only counting ONE TABLESPOON!!!" -My lady :32 (18):

New Threads