bite size pHiLoSoPhY

Blusoul24

Elite
Reaction score
Is it still the truth if nobody believes it?

As Jin said, yes.

The problem today is that a lot of folks seem to not want to see the truth, unless it supports what they want to believe.

Facts are inconvenient when they conflict with how you feel.

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
As Jin said, yes.

The problem today is that a lot of folks seem to not want to see the truth, unless it supports what they want to believe.

Facts are inconvenient when they conflict with how you feel.
Cognitive Dissonance is a very common thing, even I can an acknowledge that I fall victim to it.

Reaction score
A young bull and an old bull are standing on the top of a hill. The young bull sias to the old one, "let's run down and fk us a couple of cows". The old bull replies " let's walk down and fk them all".
Robert Duvall said this to Sean Penn in Colors

1bigun11

Elite
Reaction score
​Fire and wind come from the sky, from the gods of the sky. But Crom is your god, Crom and he lives in the earth. Once, giants lived in the Earth, Conan. And in the darkness of chaos, they fooled Crom, and they took from him the enigma of steel. Crom was angered. And the Earth shook. Fire and wind struck down these giants, and they threw their bodies into the waters, but in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of steel and left it on the battlefield. We who found it are just men. Not gods. Not giants. Just men.

The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must learn its discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.

But this...This you can trust...

Last edited:

Blusoul24

Elite
Reaction score
I was talking to a friend about some old issues that have sort of cropped up as I am doing some work on myself internally and I was wondering I was still experiencing some of these things because I've been doing so much work and he put it into words I've never thought of. He said:

"Remember, wounds itch as they heal."

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The old quote “Jack of all trades but master of none.” This was actually said in reference to William Shakespeare and his different writing styles. There is however, a part that is left off that completely spins the meaning. The entire quote is

“Jack of all trades but master of none though oftentimes better than a master of one.”

So oftentimes it’s better to be well rounded and have many abilities as opposed to being a master of a single skill

OldeBull1

Reaction score
A young bull and an old bull are standing on the top of a hill. The young bull sias to the old one, "let's run down and fk us a couple of cows". The old bull replies " let's walk down and fk them all".

Just saw this. That's my name!

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
"There is nothing new under the sun." - Scholomo ben David (history repeats itself).

Reactions: CJ

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Miyamoto Musashi. Japan’s greatest swordsman. Similar philosophy to stoicism, so I can dig it. Going to be focusing on some of these for the rest of the summer discipline.

I think somebody recommended his book of five rings. I’m going to read that at some point.

The 21 precepts of Dokkodo (the way of solitude- a concept I’ve started exploring with quarterly trips solo into the woods)
1. Accept everything just the way it is.
2. Do not seek pleasure for its own sake.
3. Do not, under any circumstances, depend on a partial feeling.
4. Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world.
5. Be detached from desire your whole life long.
6. Do not regret what you have done.
7. Never be jealous.
8. Never let yourself be saddened by a separation.
9. Resentment and complaint are appropriate neither for oneself or others.
10. Do not let yourself be guided by the feeling of lust or love.
11. In all things have no preferences.
12. Be indifferent to where you live.
13. Do not pursue the taste of good food.
14. Do not hold on to possessions you no longer need.
15. Do not act following customary beliefs.
16. Do not collect weapons or practice with weapons beyond what is useful.
17. Do not fear death.
18. Do not seek to possess either goods or fiefs for your old age.
19. Respect Buddha and the gods without counting on their help.
20. You may abandon your own body but you must preserve your honour.
21. Never stray from the way.

New Threads