I'm fat but nothing I do seems to work

ripper

Reaction score
Anyone ever do the DoggCrap diet/workout? I did that for a while clean years ago and made some nice size gains (muscular endurance went to crap but low rep strength and size went way up) and it ramped up my metabolism like crazy -- just couldn't maintain that much eating. It was like 400g of protein a day, ED and the eating aspect was more challenging than the workouts were. I was amazed how one could go from so full you're on the verge of throwing up and then 1 1/2 hr later you're starving again. I remember laying in bed just feeling the heat radiate.

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
John Meadows

[h=3]Fixing Metabolic Shutdown[/h][h=4]Well I have been stuck in a rut the last year trying to get lean, I’ve gone up to 1.5 hours a day doing cardio, lifting 6 days a week and eating anywhere from 1200-1400 calories trying to find the perfect the balance. I still have not got to where I want to be. I did a figure show in 2011 and pretty much blew up. I got back down to finally under 120 but not as lean as I’d like to be. I am doing so much cardio to stay this way and eating low cals, what is the best way to get my metabolism back up, do less cardio and be able to eat more while still being able to incorporate a cheat meal?[/h][FONT=&quot]Boy this is a hot topic lately. I have been preaching for people to ease up on cardio and do more weight training for a long time. At first, I don’t think people really listened, but now people are listening because many out there have the same experience you do. I wish I could say that there is an easy solution. Often times there are not. What we would ideally do is just gradually work up your calories some, try to help adrenals get back to 100%, and just really manage your stress levels in general.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So here are five tips:[/FONT]

1. Add 50 calories a week. Yes this might seem tedious, but you are in a pickle, and it’s that way it has to be.
  2. Do whatever it you need to do to ensure you get 8 hours of sleep a night.
  3. Remove all stimulant type supplements, and add in 1 grams of vitmain C with bioflavanoids daily. Stress depletes Vitamin C levels in your body.
  4. Add a pinch of sea salt to your meals. This can help worn down adrenals.
  5. Slowly cycle down cardio until you are only doing weight training.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
John Meadows

Fixing Metabolic Shutdown

Well I have been stuck in a rut the last year trying to get lean, I’ve gone up to 1.5 hours a day doing cardio, lifting 6 days a week and eating anywhere from 1200-1400 calories trying to find the perfect the balance. I still have not got to where I want to be. I did a figure show in 2011 and pretty much blew up. I got back down to finally under 120 but not as lean as I’d like to be. I am doing so much cardio to stay this way and eating low cals, what is the best way to get my metabolism back up, do less cardio and be able to eat more while still being able to incorporate a cheat meal?

Boy this is a hot topic lately. I have been preaching for people to ease up on cardio and do more weight training for a long time. At first, I don’t think people really listened, but now people are listening because many out there have the same experience you do. I wish I could say that there is an easy solution. Often times there are not. What we would ideally do is just gradually work up your calories some, try to help adrenals get back to 100%, and just really manage your stress levels in general.
So here are five tips:

1. Add 50 calories a week. Yes this might seem tedious, but you are in a pickle, and it’s that way it has to be.
  2. Do whatever it you need to do to ensure you get 8 hours of sleep a night.
  3. Remove all stimulant type supplements, and add in 1 grams of vitmain C with bioflavanoids daily. Stress depletes Vitamin C levels in your body.
  4. Add a pinch of sea salt to your meals. This can help worn down adrenals.
  5. Slowly cycle down cardio until you are only doing weight training.

this is great but this is advice to a 120lb female dieting for a year eating 1200-1400 calories. This guy is 270 something pounds and eating 1800 calories and for 4 months. He is extremely unlikely to have "metabolic shutdown" going on, he isnt in a massive prolonged calorie deficit. The tdee of a sedentary 63yr old at 272 pounds is about 2400 calories, so add in however much calories he is burning with exercise (probably not more then 2-300) and you will see the calorie deficit isnt that huge and can be easily missed by improper calorie tracking or little cheats.

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
He's 63
hes working out and doing cardio 6x a week
he already has an under active thyroid
he's been all of the above plus in a deficit for 4 months...

Not saying this is the answer because we all know theres many moving parts here, just trying to get this point out not to ignore.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
"metabolic shutdown" is grossly overestimated. If he maintains a regular body temp, and is conscious for at least 14 hours a day, he's not metabolically shutdown.

Faulty tdee estimation, faulty tracking, or fluctuations in carbohydrate and sodium intake are the little devils in the detail here. You do away with all of those variables if you just don't eat for 2 days.

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
"metabolic shutdown" is grossly overestimated. If he maintains a regular body temp, and is conscious for at least 14 hours a day, he's not metabolically shutdown.

Faulty tdee estimation, faulty tracking, or fluctuations in carbohydrate and sodium intake are the little devils in the detail here. You do away with all of those variables if you just don't eat for 2 days.
My money's on these being the primary issues at play here.

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score

"Shutdown" is probably the wrong term. Its more like metabolic slowdown or adaptation.
Anyway, i've dealt with it before, im sure many of us have here, plus I have many other things going on including thyroid issues that i've had to figure out so im passing on some experience.
Im no expert in anything except eating ass so im just trying to lead the horse to water, or at least get the op to think about all of this if he's serious about getting on track....there's many variables.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
The main thing with “metabolic slowdown” is just a decrease in NEAT, as you lower calories body will fidget and move less and make movement in general more efficient. Tracking steps although not necessary, it can help as this is one thing that subconsciously drops as you get lazy in a deficit. As said above, I assume faulty tracking is biggest issue, probably needs to drop a few hundred more calories as well.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
My money's on these being the primary issues at play here.

I'd say almost exclusively those are the issues. Gleaning what I could from the diet copy and paste, there seems to be a lot of non-main meal snacking. That usually means a couple things to me: 1) not being hungry is a priority, and 2) food is still a reward source. Neither of those things lend themselves to cutting fat. Also, more frequent meals leads to greater errors in caloric estimation if they aren't using a scale.

I always say being ripped is about how much you can suffer. You got to feel really bad to look really good.

Reactions: Jin
Reaction score
Well you could try clenbuterol, or hgh. At your age ghrp2 with cjc1295 would help you internally and externally.

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well you could try clenbuterol, or hgh. At your age ghrp2 with cjc1295 would help you internally and externally.
You're suggesting that this overweight man in his 60s should take recreational dosages of clenbuterol?

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score

He'd be better off eating dirt and hoping for a tapeworm.

Reaction score
You're suggesting that this overweight man in his 60s should take recreational dosages of clenbuterol?

Yea if he haasn't had any health conditions only he'd know if its for him, his responsibility to look up the health risks, im just suggesting the fastest solution for hus situation

BrotherIron

Reaction score
How long have you been that low on calories?

Very possible you've brought your metabolism to its lowest point. No way for us to tell from here but if it is you'll need to reset by eating about 2400 calories a day to get it moving again then drop by a couple hundred and see what happens. Its an adjustment game.

That's what I was thinking... he slowed down his thyroid function and lowered his metabolism. I'd recommend a refeed at least.

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yea if he haasn't had any health conditions only he'd know if its for him, his responsibility to look up the health risks, im just suggesting the fastest solution for hus situation
Your advice is bad and stupid and you should stop giving it.

liftsiron

Elite
Reaction score
Ok I'm 63 been in the game a long time. Years ago I was put on synthroid T4 didn't do shit, so I switched to T3 50mcgs ed which is twice of what is normally produced, I also use hgh at 2ius ed and supplement test above normal trt. I workout 6-7 days a week on a split push/pull/legs regimen, I go by two week blocks I have four workouts and I do each 3 times withing the two week block. If I start to gain a little extra fat, I throw in an extra leg day. Studies have indicated one intense hour of legs equals 5 intense hours of so called cardio due to metabolic after burn. I'm the same height as you and weigh 180lbs. I eat roughly 3k cals per day. I don't think my metabolism has dropped much in the last 30 years. Remember I have been doing this for years and competed in bodybuilding comps for about 25 years. I think however if you adopt at least some of my strategies you will see some improvement. Nothing worthwhile comes overnight or without hard work.

Musclebound8732

Best Physique At The Playground
Reaction score
Gotta just discipline yourself even more than what you doing now. Rather it’s stricter on the food or workout tip. Make it happen jack! Good luck!

Reaction score
thanks for the help i will try stopping T4 and add T3 fingers crossed Thanks

New Threads