Psychotropic Medication and Fatloss

Reaction score
I'm glad that this forum is anonymous because I have been ashamed to talk about this in public. I used to be very good at controlling my weight. I've been wrestling since I was young and cutting weight was very easy for me. But as I got older, I started dealing with certain issues which made it so that I had to take psychotropic medication. The medication helped with the issues but one of the side effects was weight gain. I don't have the option of stopping the medication. But I want to lose weight. Does anyone have any information about how people in my position have managed to lose weight? It seems like calorie restriction for me is not enough. I got down to 800 cal/day for a month and nothing came off. Any guidance would help.

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming that you're referring to SSRI medication?

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Regardless of medication,
You can still eat clean and exercise,
Including cardio!
I'm not a doctor, but I would think tht would help in any given situation!

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm glad that this forum is anonymous because I have been ashamed to talk about this in public. I used to be very good at controlling my weight. I've been wrestling since I was young and cutting weight was very easy for me. But as I got older, I started dealing with certain issues which made it so that I had to take psychotropic medication. The medication helped with the issues but one of the side effects was weight gain. I don't have the option of stopping the medication. But I want to lose weight. Does anyone have any information about how people in my position have managed to lose weight? It seems like calorie restriction for me is not enough. I got down to 800 cal/day for a month and nothing came off. Any guidance would help.

Mate, not sure of yer size, but for most if you subsisted off just 800 cals daily for 30 days ye'd be in a heap of trouble.

Start by learning yer TDEE, then cut just 200-300 cals beneath it until ye see the scale move.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Agree with what's stated above. You may not have an option to come off the meds, but you to have the options when it comes to what you put in your mouth and what kind of activities you do. At 800 calories a day for a month you would have noticed something. Be careful of calories creeps.

1) Some packages lie ( example: if you add the calories for each gram of protein, carb, fat, that is listed and it doesn't match the total on the package)
2) Condiments add up quick
3) Be exact with your measurements; a table spoon is a tablespoon not a HEAPING table spoon.
4)Weigh all your food. If you can't measure it, don't eat it (includes going to a restraint)

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I have not heard any success stories. Maybe you can talk to your doctor about an alternative pharmaceutical that has less side effects.

I do not think he is referring to SSRI’s.

Reaction score
I don't know. I was getting by with very little. Let's put it this way. There is no way that I was taking in 2,000 calories. No way was I hitting that. I was for sure under that. But even then, I still was not losing weight.

Reaction score
So I am 5'11 and 260lbs. In terms of what I was literally taking in...I was eating 2 eggs, some turkey, and steamed vegetables (obviously staying hydrated). When I calculated everything it came out to about 1000 calories, even less some days.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Which psychotropic?

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Any of those antipsychotics will require some sort of hormonal help. Some act as progestins/estrogens.

Dieting alone will be difficult since those drugs act on the receptors in fat cells that inhibit lipolysis. Your most successful path will be a ketogenic diet with concurrent HIIT training. Your entire focus should be on reducing blood sugar and insulin. Always exercise in a fasted state. Intermittent fasting may be helpful.

New Threads