I need advice/help. Please read.

Reaction score
Hi guys, I just turned 20, I have a trip to go the UK next summer (June/July 2021) and I was wondering judging from these pictures of me if you think If i worked hard enough I could somewhat look like captain america's body type, the part where he was muscular obviously.(I choose him because he has a chest condition called pectus excavatum like I do, other celebs such as Sylvester Stallone have it as well) in the movies before my trip comes up.

Or if I could at least have major improve such as having a visible 6 pack and a pronounced chest like you see a lot of teen bodybuilders. (I've included 2 pics of the body type I want to have by June/July 2021) I'm not trying to get like Dwayne the rock Johnson big, but something where I feel confident in.(my chest condition makes it look like i'm fat because my chest is slightly sunken in due to a minor case of pectus excavatum, making my belly look more pronounced).

I've looked up average body weights for a 20 year old who's 6'1 and I'm considered to be healthy. I'm 6'1 and fluctuate between 170-185 depending on how much I eat. The most I've ever weighed was 199. I'm not completely new to working out either. I've done several attempts at starting to go to the gym but after 3-4 months of going I lose motivation and end up quitting.

What I'm really asking here is that is it possible to get that type of body in a year and 2 months or so? If it is at all possible, where do I start? Gyms aren't open so as far as right now because of the coronavirus, so I would need home workouts.

As far as my diet goes, I really don't know what to eat either. I'm open to trying any type of diet/food as long as it helps me get towards my goal. And also if I would need like protein powder/ supplements or anything else that isn't food that would help me get there please let me know. I want to change my life for the better so any help would be appreciated. I'm down for anything no matter how intense. If anyone who is willing to help me has any questions feel free to ask me.

Bottom line- If I eat right, take the right supplements (if needed) and workout properly could I achieve my goal by summer 2021?

Attachments

• Front view full gut.jpg
    Front view full gut.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Front view natural gut.jpg
    Front view natural gut.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 5
  • side view full gut.jpg
    side view full gut.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 6
  • side view natural gut.jpg
    side view natural gut.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 4
  • Goal example 1.jpg
    Goal example 1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 5
  • goal example 2.jpg
    goal example 2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:

chandy

Reaction score
first off i'd suggest not looking or believing in that whole "body weight for your age and height" shit it literally means nothing of being healthy or anything else. throw that out of your head and mindset. ANYWAYS you could 100% see huge improvements within a year and 2 months. the biggest thing to get down is your dieting. not about to mean any of this badly so don't take it wrong. but you are still as green as green can be when it comes to the gym and lifting and putting on muscle and getting in shape. which actually kinda works out in your favor. you'll be getting those "newbie gains" where you'll see yourself pack on muscle and shred fat like crazy if you do everything right.

if u came to the site thinking about "steroids as a supplement" then the answer is no. you have no need want or desire for them. the body you are looking for isn't going to bad as hard as you think it is to get. as long as you can get your diet in check. and stick to the gym. finding an actual workout plan that u like and u could/can stick with. and that's going to be something u have to fiddle with.

for example. i know some people like you that have to go everyday and create the habit of going so it keeps them going. other burn out on going every day so they go 3 times a week. some hated the gym so much that they would go once a week and do a full body and then run once or twice. any and all of that is still better than doing nothing.

but my suggestion would be to do a push/pull/legs rest 1-2 days push/pull/legs if u were still sore on ur chest and other push muscles on the first rest day then rest 2 days. (your muscles grow as they repair not as you lift. and u need adequate time to heal/grow)

my next suggestion would be to find a celebrity or some other famous person with the body u want. that doesn't weigh no 230 pounds... make it a reasonable weigh compared to you. so like 185 pounds roughly. you might not quite be in the same shape. but that is why i said reasonable. then download myfitnesspal put in all of the details it ask for. and keep up with all of your foods and calories. track every bit of it. you'll want to change the proportions to where u have roughly 1gram of protein per desired body weight. you'll want a lot of carbs to fuel your body for the day and workouts. with a low fat intake. i'd say for anything around the size u are going to be you'll maybe want 60g of fat a day don't go much above that. so it would look something like 50% carb 30% protien 20% fat (i don't track mine but you should and those are estimates you can give or take everything but try to hit that 1g per goal pound of protein)

you aren't really putting on a lot of muscle to look like the first guy at all. that's you just working out casually and just staying in a calorie deficit that should be easily doable. the second guy isn't really casual even with a good metabolism he is still at a low BF% and some muscle definition

and about 2-3 months out if you aren't quite as lean as u would like to be. then simply go on a cut. get the rest of that bit of fat off that u want before u go on the vacation. still hitting that protein for the goal weight... but just add in a load of veggies and fruit. they are very low calorie.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
In a year you can look like the best you you’ve ever been. 12 months is a long time. Screw captain America. Be captain itsempressive.

German89

Elite
Reaction score
Stick around... Start reading.

We will help. If you put the effort in on your end.

First would be, getting your diet down. Understanding how calories in/out work. How to count calories/measure.

Most of us like to use, 'myfitnesspal' app to help keep track of our calories. That's where you should start.

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry for the long wait, I've been dealing with exams and signing up for summer classes at my college. I've read all of your responses and I really appreciate the support you guys have given me. I downloaded Myfitnesspal on my phone like most of you suggested, I will be trying workouts online as well as the ones you guys have suggested. I will keep you guys updated with my progress and if I have any questions. Once again tho I really appreciate the support, thanks.

Gabriel

Reaction score
At 20,you have a lot to learn about everything,,,and I doubt you have the intestinal fortitude to finish what you start....At 20 I was in OCS and 2nd child on the way...PED's are the cherry on top of the ice cream sunday......without diet,training and proper rest.......you are going no-where fast.....Remember ,,,anything easily gained is not appreciated and easily lost.....nothing and I mean nothing,will help you more than diet....leaning about proper nutrition,what to eat,when to eat,how much.....it's a science.Listen,you take a ton of gear and get no-where....OR you can gain the knowledge that can shape the rest of you life.....Forget about the short race,and focus on changing your lifestyle......Learn the basics,train using proper form and compound exercises,get you diet dialed in.forget about PED's right now.....I've been in this game far too long,and I'm only here to help,,so take an old,days are numbered guys advice............screw the euro trip body and get on board for the long haul............At 54 and with ''C"........48"chest....34" waist at 192...and still working............this is the best I can give.........GodSpeed

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
This post made me giggle...alot

Anyway, here is my $.02.

No you wont look like either of those physiques in a year from where you are now.

If you are serious about changing your body, you need to be focused on being the best YOU.

Get in the gym or even at home and start. That is the most important thing that you can do right now. Just start. The second most important thing is to be consistent. I don't care what your workout looks like, if you are consistent, you will change the way you look in a years time and it will be for the better.

If you really want to speed up the process, get your diet in check and count your calories.

There are tons of threads here that can put you on your way, if you take the time to use the search feature. Good Luck.

Ragingmenace223

Reaction score
well if you could see me a yr and 2 months ago i looked exactly like you,, i do have 15 yrs of training under my belt so muscle memory was a huge part..
Lets start here.1. get 1 to 1.5 grams of protein in a day per lb of body weight.
2. commit to working out 3 to 5 days a week.(search you tube or the home work out thread here for idea before gym opens.
3.come up with a training split.
4. dont rush peds if you are thinking about them. this includes sarms. you are way to young and can grow so much w/o them.
5. it takes 90 days for the body to get use to a routine. so start and stick with it...you will lose faster then you gain so if you dont stick with it you will never get where you want to be.
6. THIS IS A LIFE STYLE!!!! if it was easy everyone would look like us. im not saying im big but 6ft 195 at 7 to 8 % bf isnt bad so if there is any SPECIFIC info you need please just ask...
Always willing to help

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score
No you wont look like either of those physiques in a year from where you are now.

If you are serious about changing your body, you need to be focused on being the best YOU..

This, exactly this. For a beginner the worst thing you can do is compare yourself to someone else. You have the before pictures. Get started hit it hard and take new pics in 3 months.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
This post made me giggle...alot

Anyway, here is my $.02.

If you are serious about changing your body, you need to be focused on being the best YOU.

This, exactly this. For a beginner the worst thing you can do is compare yourself to someone else.

This is worth repeating again.

My concern is that on for 3-4 months and quit. How about you schedule a week off at 4 months, it's good for the body and mind. Put your head down and get to work and I bet a year from now, you'll be happy with the results.

And welcome to UG!

dragon1952

Elite
Reaction score
Very early in my lifting career I remember seeing this guy who had around 17" arms or so maybe and saying to my friend, "in 6 months my arms are going to look like that". Ha ha....ho boy....actually took me another 10 yrs :^ /

Tatlifter

Reaction score
Start compound lifting and or push ups/pull ups, dips.

Get your diet on track.. Do lots of research.

No you wont look like a guy that has been lifting for a decade in a year but if you stay the course you will look lightyears better than you do now.

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome to the UG, take the advice given by these guys and put in the work.

11Bravo

Elite
Reaction score
You can make a ton of progress in a year if you stick to it. Hopefully there will be open gyms soon.

Reaction score
So do you all recommend that I do cardio or anything that would get rid of belly fat first before I start heading to the gym when they re open? Or do both cardio and working out at the gym? or just strictly gym workouts. I want to look as close to those images as I can for my trip. The trip is just a goal, I mean yeah i want to look good during the trip, but if I am already at a majorly improved version of myself during the trip, It wont be as hard to keep going because i'd have been working out for over a year. Once again thank you all for all of the support I appreciate it.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
So do you all recommend that I do cardio or anything that would get rid of belly fat first before I start heading to the gym when they re open? Or do both cardio and working out at the gym? or just strictly gym workouts. I want to look as close to those images as I can for my trip. The trip is just a goal, I mean yeah i want to look good during the trip, but if I am already at a majorly improved version of myself during the trip, It wont be as hard to keep going because i'd have been working out for over a year. Once again thank you all for all of the support I appreciate it.

Here is a guy whose “before” pic reminds me of yours. He did weights, cardio, and diet.

Frankly, I think his “after” would have been better if he just hit weights and built a foundation before cutting down and showing that nothing was there and I think you would too.

My 2 cents, build something first...then diet down to show what you built.

59a29b3cddc02009da4c5126ce812797.jpg

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Frankly, I think his “after” would have been better if he just hit weights and built a foundation before cutting down and showing that nothing was there and I think you would too.

My 2 cents, build something first...then diet down to show what you built.

I am no advocate of gaining fat to weigh more or "Look" bigger. Here's why what dk is saying is right. Considering where you are at, you will probably put on 10lbs of quality muscle in a little over that year you're shooting for. You could easily dump 10 lbs of fat in 2 months. At this point, don't risk gaining a little fat at the cost of missing out on some quality muscle.

mabdelrasoul

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I would stick around, learn what u can , work hard and you will be there in no time

Reaction score
I am no advocate of gaining fat to weigh more or "Look" bigger. Here's why what dk is saying is right. Considering where you are at, you will probably put on 10lbs of quality muscle in a little over that year you're shooting for. You could easily dump 10 lbs of fat in 2 months. At this point, don't risk gaining a little fat at the cost of missing out on some quality muscle.

So I should just hit the weights diet and cardio, instead of just hitting the weights and dieting then doing cardio later, is what you're saying right, sorry just want to make sure.

joeyirish777

Reaction score
Read Mark Rippetoe's "Practical Programming for Strength Training." You will learn exactly what you need to gain muscle and set yourself up to look like whatever you want.

It is worth every penny and some, it is the textbook and holy bible of the strength training and bodybuilding world. Because the right journey always starts from getting strong from intensity and hard work!

I still reference this book after 8 years. You might as well get the 3rd edition by the way, only 15$ on amazon.

New Threads