Source of Protein

Reaction score
S’up folks, I’m on the cheaper side unfortunately and am wondering about switching some stuff out. Specifically the protein source. Can I swap chicken, pork, and what not out for protein powder if the money is tight that week? I’d still get good full healthy meals but instead of the other in between meals of say chicken and rice, would powder and rice work per se?

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You'll be fine so long as you hit your calorie, micronutrient, and fiber targets.

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
For me, anytime that I can eat food over powder, I am doing it.

With that said, during my busy months, I eat out of a lunch box. I can't just eat a chicken breast or a steak cold. Its then, that I use premixed drinks to get my protein in. The other go to for me is boiled eggs. 6g of protein per egg. I can get 72 grams of protein for $1.50 or less.

There are a lot of ways to get your protein in for cheap. I mean, I can get a gallon of milk where I live for 1.50 or less which has 128g of protein. You can't get that much protein for that cheap out of a shake.

Just have to be creative sometimes.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
real food blows the powders away

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
Food over protein powders is much better overall but getting protein period is important. Like mentioned eggs are your cheapest quality source. I do a shake a day for pure convenience

Reaction score
Sounds good, and also isn’t there some kinda limit to the amount of protein your body can synthesize into muscle per intake? Like 30ish grams? Or is the whole point of steroids just to increase that number?

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, and also isn’t there some kinda limit to the amount of protein your body can synthesize into muscle per intake? Like 30ish grams? Or is the whole point of steroids just to increase that number?
i always did double my body weight in protein mayb a little less ..Prob a out of date way of doing things these days

BrotherIron

Reaction score
How is protein powder cheaper than something like chicken or eggs? You can get chicken thighs with bone in for .99/lbs and 18 eggs for $1.59. You're going to get MUCH more from eating solids than from any protein powder. Hell, you could eat tuna out of a can.

It's one thing to be cheap, but DON'T be lazy.

BrotherIron

Reaction score

That is one of the points. The gear allows you to utilize far more Kcal without turning it into fat which is why you can take in more protein. Your body uses protein for more than just muscle building. It's also for cell to cell communication, hormones, enzymes, etc...

New Threads