Looking for help with a Muscle & Fitness Issue

Reaction score
Greetings! I am an old bodybuilder/trainer from the late 70s to 90s era. Around the mid-1980s, Muscle & Fitness has series of science and exercise technique articles that were illustrated by Bruce Algra. He has gone on to form his own company and is selling his now famous posters for gyms and schools.

However, I am interested in obtaining those original magazine issues for those particular illustrations. The squat is of particular interest but I am seeking all of them.

To anyone who would remember or know, I would be truly grateful if you can at least let me know what those magazine issues are. I have been search the "interweb" high and low but with not success.

Thank you,

Daoud.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Looking for help with a Muscle & Fitness Issue

Greetings! I am an old bodybuilder/trainer from the late 70s to 90s era. Around the mid-1980s, Muscle & Fitness has series of science and exercise technique articles that were illustrated by Bruce Algra. He has gone on to form his own company and is selling his now famous posters for gyms and schools.

However, I am interested in obtaining those original magazine issues for those particular illustrations. The squat is of particular interest but I am seeking all of them.

To anyone who would remember or know, I would be truly grateful if you can at least let me know what those magazine issues are. I have been search the "interweb" high and low but with not success.

Thank you,

Daoud.

Kudos to you for remembering a M&F illustration from around 35 years ago. It must have had quite an impact. I can barely remember what I had for dinner last night.

Plenty of his illustrations on the web, but I am sure you have seen those.

The best I can suggest is to start browsing some covers and see if one rings a bell

http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/muscle-fitness/2

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, though. Found the cover of the first one I ever bought and what started me on my journey.

c812f39f7f42c42f9cd3a99510e95645.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CJ
Reaction score
This was the first issue I purchased. Some things never change. :)

Take Care,

Daoud

Attachments

• IMG_3483.jpg
    IMG_3483.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
2 questions:

How old are you and what was life like before fire was invented?

Actually my first purchase was "Education of a Bodybuilder", like everybody else. I am almost 60. Started lifting immediately after I saw Rocky I. Was very lucky to join Jimmy Caruso's gym in Montreal where a lot of bodybuilding history was made. Jimmy was an interesting character. It was not unusual to have Arnold on the phone or see Serge Nubret. Professional wrestlers would train there, and you would see how strong they really are. For a period of time, I had to start training at 6 am as the strippers would just be finishing.... I could go on. This forum is brining back a lot of memories. Many stories of the glory days and my participation. Once dreamed of hanging on until I could clean-up as the only person left in the oldest masters category. Now even that is a crowed field. ;-)

Daoud

Mhenshaw

Elite
Reaction score
Covers and table of contents for some years here.

Reaction score
Hope you stick around and share some.

Yes, I will. I did find what I was looking for. Now I have to purchase the specific journals. At one time, I thought I was going to be an exercise scientist focusing on body building and traveled the old Grand Prix circuit when Winston Roberts was the head IFBB judge. Winston Roberts was a beautiful, kind, generous man, who give me unlimited access just because he believed in a young man and his education was important. He had nothing to gain. Just pure altruism. Bruce Jenner (at that time) was cutting his teeth on sports announcing. The Durk Pearson Life Extension book was gospel and everyone had to have electrical impedance body composition test.

Thank you all for your time.

Best Wished,

Daoud.

M.Greger87

Reaction score
Welcome. Sounds like you have alot of knowledge many would be interested in hearing. Myself included

New Threads