Thanks

Build muscle and drop body fat at the same time with a high fat low carb diet?

So i have been working out for 2 years and eating well on a usual high carb high protein diet in order to build muscle. I'm (6'2/187 Lbs)

My calorie intake was always 300+ of my BMR and its respective activity level so i could bulk. I had a break of 3 months now because of an injury and I'm trying to get back. One thing i want to do this time around is to build muscle but not have that belly fat and actually get a flat stomach over time with a stable BF %.

I was wondering if working out and eating on a maintenance level while being on a high fat, high protein low carb diet could make me gain muscle while losing body fat percentage at the same time. One thing i really don't want to do is to lose muscle. I would be really grateful for your help.

Thanks

Thanks
    You're talking about body recomposition, regardless of what diet you're using to achieve that.

Is it possible to eat at maintenance calories, whilst building muscle AND reducing body fat? Yes. But it is very slow, and very difficult. Especially if, I am presuming a male, you have the standard male genetics and the abdominal fat is the last to leave as you cannot spot reduce your abdominal fat. Being on a keto diet though, as you've outlined, will help shift the body fat fairly quickly based on how the long-term effects of the diet work.

If your main focus is for an appealing abdominal area you'd be better off entering a cut now, hitting HIIT cardio hard, and aiming to build your core, abs and obliques so that they have an aesthetic appearance later on during a higher body fat percentage when you eventually enter a slight clean calorie surplus.

Thanks
    Get you cardio on track this summer and cut unwanted fat. Clean bulk this fall and winter, then cut spring.

Much better results - Rome wasn’t built in a few months.

Thanks
    you are also basing ur cals on ur bmr instead of ur tdee..there is a thread explaining how to calculate it.. i do a high fat and low carb diet but im really just maintaining..im not losing muscle but im not gaining weight either . i think my body might be changing a little but im unsure. genetics play a huge role in how u can eat. if ur a hard gainer then just keep ur protein high and try the high fat. if u see urself gaining fat then that diet isnt for you. it basically comes down to body type and trial and error
    THE ROAD TO FAILURE IS PAVED WITH GOOD INTENTIONS

Thanks
    You could also try carb cycling.. Keep protein high and eat clean carbs and delete sugars.

Keep working out hard and build muscle will help with burning fat..

Also medium intensity cardio for 15-20 minutes 3-5 times a week.

187lbs at 6'2" shouldnt be much fat if you have a good consistent workout with great diet behind it.
    Desire, Discipline, Dedication, Determination, Devotion

Thanks
    Thanked 8,954 Times in 3,993 Posts
    Yeah and OP hasn't been on UG since he put this thread up. But please continue with the advice.
    "The weight teaches you"
    The more you treat each rep independently, as its own workout, the better.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Seeker For This Useful Post:

BRICKS (05-21-2020)