Recommended get back in the routine strategy

Reaction score
Routines are habit based, and the way we build habits are through consistency. Just go and do whatever you like = you will feel good and therefore continue to do it. Once it's become more established, that's when you want to start enforcing specific programs into your routine.

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
I figured I would update this since I have been working out again.. My biggest detriment from this forced break happens to be my core. I'm almost lifting everything I was pre-gym close, but man, did my core ever cramp up after my shoulder workout from the overhead press portion. O U C H.

On some lifts, instead of belting out 10 reps at pre-gym close weight, I am only able to hit 8, like the t-bar row. Regardless, I don't think that is as big of a setback as I initially thought it would be.

My transition went like this like this:
Week 1 - let's get used to the motions @ 50%.
Week 2 - add a little more weight @ 75%.
Weeks 3+ - F*ck it, back to the old routine @ 100%!

Oddly, the strength is still there but the endurance was not. Even the endurance aspect is changing for the better as the days go by!

Last edited:
Reaction score
after a lay-off I have always went back to a 12 week program that was my base when I started lifting. A 5 day split legs chest back shoulders arms. First 4 weeks 4x12 then 4x8 finishing 4x4 throwing in some cardio 3 days week. Has always worked well for me building back up to where I was before the lay-off.

Reaction score
My home gym looks like some 80s Soviet gym with just a squat stand rack, barbell, bands and kettlebells. I actually lifetime PR on military press 2 weeks ago just from doing kettlebell presses. I bought 5 kettlebells over the years but never really used them like this. I have benched off a swiss ball that has been actually pretty nice. I feel like with a good selection of bands you can emulate a cable that is in some ways even better.

I am gaining through this even if I have to start lifting rocks or sandbags. Gyms aren't open here and I don't think they will be opening. I am going on a road trip this weekend and pumped to even use the 50lb dumbbells with some bands at the hotel.

Reactions: CJ