Hydroxychloroquine: increasingly linked to deaths

BrotherIron

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain this is talking about the vets who were not given Zinc with the drug and also were given 8x the recommended amount which of course will cause serious issues and possibly death.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Of course it does. Trump suggested using it to save lives so it must be bad. This kinda of shit being spread pisses me off.

Nailed it.

Science is now being politicized.

Before this Covid debacle chloroquine had ZERO FDA or CDC warnings for heart complications (still doesn’t on their websites). Because...... it doesn’t cause heart issues. It causes a longer “Q-T” interval in the heartbeat which is ASSOCIATED with heart attacks. But ZERO documented cases of chloroquine causing heart issues.

This is is a drug that’s been around for 70 years mind you. No doubt it’s safe.

Add to that hat it’s dirt cheap and ain’t nobody gonna make a cent if it’s the cure.

meanwhile Remdesivir looks LESS effective according to all the studies I’ve seen and has been approved by the FDA. New med that has no market besides Covid and costs $100’s of dollars a dose.

Happy to provide links if anyone has any doubts about anything I’ve said here.

Death

Lady Member
Reaction score
I’ve cared for many patients on Plaquenil for severe rheumatoid arthritis or lupus. My biggest concerns with the long term use was QT interval prolongation which has cardiac risks for sudden death and deadly arrythmias. But many drugs can cause QT interval changes. It’s more risky when folks are on multiple meds... given the patients dying of covid are more likely to have comorbid conditions I bet they’re already on other drugs that may interact And cause even further QT interval prolonging.

Is it a safe drug? No drug is 100% safe, of course there’s risks. It’s riskier than More benign stuff like Tylenol but when it comes down to dying of severe covid 19 or taking one’s chances with Plaquenil, I think it makes sense to try it. I think it’s good to reserve for those with serious infection as part of the last ditch options where you’d throw anything at it and see what sticks... and more studies need to be done. Also my political leanings have no influence on my opinion. Just a decade of nursing experience. I wouldn’t chalk this up to a political conspiracy. Plaquenil is nothing new and us in medicine have known it’s not a benign drug for ages.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain this is talking about the vets who were not given Zinc with the drug and also were given 8x the recommended amount which of course will cause serious issues and possibly death.

If you read the actual study they gave chloroquine to those patients who were already in critical condition. The other group they compared to were not in as poor of a state.

It was a last ditch effort by doctors and the study authors purposely a gave misleading summary.

Despicable.

Choroquine helps get zinc into virus cells to prevent replication. It’s a poor choice for anyone in advanced stages of the disease as the virus has already replicated exponentially and is rampant.

If you take chloroquine, it should be at the first signs of infection.

You cannot trust the media.

You cannot trust bias scientists.

You cannot trust headlines.

You CAN typically trust the data.

Unless you want to be told what to think, learn how to interpret studies so you can draw your own conclusions.

Last edited:

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I’ve cared for many patients on Plaquenil for severe rheumatoid arthritis or lupus. My biggest concerns with the long term use was QT interval prolongation which has cardiac risks for sudden death and deadly arrythmias. But many drugs can cause QT interval changes. It’s more risky when folks are on multiple meds... given the patients dying of covid are more likely to have comorbid conditions I bet they’re already on other drugs that may interact And cause even further QT interval prolonging.

Is it a safe drug? No drug is 100% safe, of course there’s risks. It’s riskier than More benign stuff like Tylenol but when it comes down to dying of severe covid 19 or taking one’s chances with Plaquenil, I think it makes sense to try it. I think it’s good to reserve for those with serious infection as part of the last ditch options where you’d throw anything at it and see what sticks... and more studies need to be done. Also my political leanings have no influence on my opinion. Just a decade of nursing experience. I wouldn’t chalk this up to a political conspiracy. Plaquenil is nothing new and us in medicine have known it’s not a benign drug for ages.

Have you heard anything about people already taking Plaquenil for those conditions not contacting Covid?

I’ve heard anecdotal evidence out of India that people on it for prevention of malaria were not contracting Covid.

Whether or not there is a conspiracy, chloroquine is not being represented faithfully in the media and by scientists.

Could be anti-trump, could be money based bias of the pharmaceutical industry. Could be something else.

What other possble cure (besides hitting “the body with tremendous ultraviolet” ;) )
is being demonized the Way Plaquenil is?
It just doesn’t make sense.

Last edited:

Death

Lady Member
Reaction score
Have you heard anything about people already taking Plaquenil for those conditions not contacting Covid?

I’ve heard anecdotal evidence out of India that people on it for prevention of malaria were not contracting Covid.

Whether or not there is a conspiracy, chloroquine is not being represented faithfully in the media and by scientists.

Could be anti-trump, could be money based bias of the pharmaceutical industry. Could be something else.

What other possble cure (besides hitting “the body with tremendous ultraviolet” ;) )
is being demonized the Way Plaquenil is?
It just doesn’t make sense.

I haven’t worked directly with covid 19 patients yet thankfully so I’ve not seen if those who are on Plaquenil were resistant to covid 19. I would be fascinated to see more studies on it, animal studies with a control would be good. Though it can take months to years to complete good studies.

To be honest, the media makes my anxiety rise so I try to avoid any of the sensationalized headlines. I just look for actual research and read the data and try to make my own conclusions, versus letting a reporter tell me what a study says. The media has pressure to deliver 24/7 news and to generate clicks so there has to always be something to sensationalize.

Reactions: Jin

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
The media just reads the abstract, if even that.

Gotta get them clicks.

New Threads