Thanks

Progressing hip/glute barbell thrusts

Hello,

I have been gradually going heavier and heavier on my barbell hip/glute thrusts. With the weight of the bar included, Iíve gone from hip thrusting 80 lb in 2019 to now doing 140 lb (4 sets of 10 on average). In the last year Iíve gained maybe 0.5 inches on my glutes. My questions:

1) should my glutes be sore after every time? I noticed my glutes only get sore rarely if I return back after take a few weeks off (like when training got interrupted for me due to the pandemic or when I took 3 months off due to an injury)- is my body just getting used to the stimulation?

2) if Iím working until failure or near failure and getting stronger gradually (just added 10 lb in the past month) but not getting sore in my glutes, is that ok/will I still gradually gain in my glutes?

3) should I put an elastic band Around my thighs while I do these and what does that do? Iíve tried both ways since Iíve seen it on Bret Contreras IG posts with some of his glute goddess ladies but Iím not sure if it felt much different or did much?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,231 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Sone people get more sore than others. That's an individual thing.

But I would think that since there's not a large range of motion on hip thrusts, especially at stretch, soreness might not be expected as much.

I believe the bands are used mostly as a mental cue, so you focus on activating the medial glutes more. Could be wrong though, I'm sure there's multiple uses for it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ275 For This Useful Post:

Death (05-17-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,950 Times in 5,799 Posts
    Lots of things effect recovery.

You do not need to experince soreness to make gains.

You do need to continue to progressively overload so keep the muscle with more and more challenging stimulus.

Continue to add reps or weight (or both!). Add an additional rep each week until you’re doing 4x15. Then add weight and go back to 4x10. Repeat.

On a heavy steroid cycle I can do double the volume at a greater weight and the next day not feel very sore (squats). If I did similar while on TRT I wouldn’t be able to get off the toilet for the next three days.

I’m growing faster while on gear but feeling it less.

it feels good to be sore, I get it. Feels like you accomplished something.

Diet is going to have a bigger role in you gaining size. You’re really light, right? Eat up.

We live on an island of knowledge surrounded
    by a sea of ignorance.
    As our island of knowledge grows,
    so too does the shore of our ignorance.

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    Lots of things effect recovery.

You do not need to experince soreness to make gains.

You do need to continue to progressively overload so keep the muscle with more and more challenging stimulus.

Continue to add reps or weight (or both!). Add an additional rep each week until you’re doing 4x15. Then add weight and go back to 4x10. Repeat.

On a heavy steroid cycle I can do double the volume at a greater weight and the next day not feel very sore (squats). If I did similar while on TRT I wouldn’t be able to get off the toilet for the next three days.

I’m growing faster while on gear but feeling it less.

it feels good to be sore, I get it. Feels like you accomplished something.

Diet is going to have a bigger role in you gaining size. You’re really light, right? Eat up.
    Yes I’m definitely light on the scale (118 lb last I checked) but my body fat percentage is 23-24%, if I eat in a surplus my body fat percentage goes up fast but lean weight very very very slowly (I’ve had 4-5 DEXA scans over the years as I’ve been frustrated with my slow gains).

That said I just started a very lean bulk, hoping to gain maybe 1lb a month. I think that with ongoing consistent training will help me grow muscle and not fat. I don’t mind a little fat, I’m “skinny”, but given my gender and other challenges I can’t expect to gain pounds of muscle the way dudes do on bulk diets.

Thanks
    When I'm on a cycle I don't get as sore as when I'm not!
    Lately the only time I'm feeling sore the next day is when I'm doing negitives!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicwun88 For This Useful Post:

Death (05-17-2020)

Thanks
    Soreness isn’t a great indicator of an effective workout. I only ever can really feel soreness in my muscles when doing hard massages. As long as your hamstrings and or back isn’t getting sore, I wouldn’t be worried. You are adding weight to the bar and getting stronger so you are on the right path.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to brock8282 For This Useful Post:

Death (05-17-2020)