Shoulder/Chest Dominant

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score
What are some techniques or variations you guys have used to become less shoulder dominant on presses?

I usually place my ring finger on the outer knurl mark. If that is of relevance to your replies.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
What are some techniques or variations you guys have used to become less shoulder dominant on presses?

I usually place my ring finger on the outer knurl mark. If that is of relevance to your replies.

Usually comes down to your bench setup. Upper back tightness, arch etc.

Try bringing your fingers in to pinky on rings. That will put more emphasis on your triceps. Just try to prevent your elbows from flaring

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
kinda tough to explain but what made a big difference for me is a some simple cueing. In my mind im trying to press in a way to bring my bicep into my chest and even though im gripping the bar in my mind im trying to bring my hands together in the middle.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
Also, as you press your Grip should have your forearms perpendicular to the ground as you press. wider and you’ll get more shoulder recruitment, closer and you’ll get more Tricep recruitment

Ragingmenace223

Reaction score
i have that same problem.my chest is so much weaker then my shoulders.
if im doing incline i bring the bar down to the upper chest and flat more along the nipple line. most of all i really need to focus on elbows in, like brock said. once they flair out ur using a lot of shoulders...
basically just put something you can do fairly easy on the bench and try reps in slightly different positions and see what one feels like your working mostly ur chest.
My chest is my weakest body part by far and bar placement and trying to keep my elbows in were the biggest factors for me anyways..still working on making it grow. good luck

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
The best thing that I ever did was stop doing wide grip. I bench shoulder width. Never any wider and sometimes even closer. I can bench at least 75+ lbs more with this grip over a wide grip.

The only real tips I can think of have already been mentioned. Keep your shoulders back and NEVER flare out your elbows. Also on a side note, if you don't arch, you are missing a big advantage. I mention this because an arch should keep your shoulders back automatically or at least it does for me.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Also, as you press your Grip should have your forearms perpendicular to the ground as you press. wider and you’ll get more shoulder recruitment, closer and you’ll get more Tricep recruitment

^^^^This, with DBs is the best way that I can personally feel my chest. Almost like a fly press, but not quite.

Ragingmenace223

Reaction score
That is a great video. That video is the reason I even knew the terms chest dominant / shoulder dominant.
im not much on his pod cast but his training vids are great...
the dudes chest ...shit everything is sick...def helped me define the shoulders and blew up my rear delts as well...they are entertaining as well. i recommend all his training videos

New Threads