Your son and lifting

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
My youngest has been putting the time in the gym religiously. I think this could become serious, serious enough to compete. The youth numbers in the RPS is within reach for him to do well but truthfully, I'm not sure I could take him competing. Youth provides you with some forgiveness that is not afforded to older advanced lifters but the risk of injury, serious injury looms in my mind.

It's always okay for the father to take a calculated risk but not for his children. It does make me think back to my mom and her watching my first PLing meet. She actually asked why I had to do more weight every time; not understanding the 3 attempt process.

Any of you guys or gals been down this road or about to face it?

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
No, but when my sons are old enough and they desire to compete at some point, I will do my best to support and coach them to become the best they possibly can be and as safe as possible. Great learning/coaching opportunities, especially for character building.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Both my kids, 29 and 25, hit the gym, they don't compete but my daughter is a beast. She's a steelworker, Navy Sea Bee, and as such moving heavy shit is pretty important job wise. I know, different story, they're both adults, but were encouraged to participate in sports when they were under our roof.

There's always risk to any sport. My son played football in high school. They both skied and snow boarded when they were younger. I'd say let him compete, he has a smart coach about this (you). It'll help foster the important lesson about responsibility for self.

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
Both my kids are in the gym. My son has competed in Powerlifting and had a positive experience. Think he still holds the Jr deadlift record for the State. It wasn’t tough watching him compete, I enjoyed watching him succeed.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
my son is more into bodybuilding so I can't relate but, I think you should look at your life/love for the sport and what its done for you positive and then you may be more willing to push your sons and help them achieve thier goals in powerlifting.
I say dooooit. :)
plus it will build an even stronger father/son bond.
imagine being at thier meet and they win thier class. what a proud moment. the pictures, trophies, memories, etc.

German89

Elite
Reaction score
If my son wants to lift when he's older, i'll guide him.. but i will let him find his own path and answer questions when/if he asks. i'll most likely direct him to his dad.

He's five. I encourage him to bike. I'll even tell him to go on the stationary bike...

His behaviour hasn't been all that great the past few days. I think I will start having him get on the stationary more often or get him to ride his bike when he's angry to redirect his emotions.

Sicwun88

Reaction score
My son has always been around the weight lifting lifestyle from me & being in sports! He has recently left for basic training in the military & when we last talked he told me....
Don't forget get to do legs dad!
He's becoming a man & will find his own path,
But I'm sure weight lifting will always be a part of his as it is mine!

andy

Elite
Reaction score
I dunno what would I say to my kid if he would compete at such extreme as I do... never thought of that.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
There's always risk to any sport. My son played football in high school. They both skied and snow boarded when they were younger. I'd say let him compete, he has a smart coach about this (you).

Injury in sports? This young man blew out his ACL in a basketball pick-up game. So to your point, injuries can happen at almost anytime.

...plus it will build an even stronger father/son bond.
We had one of those just yesterday. I helped him put speakers in his car. There was no blood, nothing got dislocated and no complete bicep ruptures. lol

I dunno what would I say to my kid if he would compete at such extreme as I do... never thought of that.
Operative word here being Extreme. Personally competing in both PL and BB, PL seems to have a higher risk of injury. Still BB is not without its own set of risks.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Maybe I'm weird but I would love if I had a child and they showed an interest in something I'm passionate about. I would do my very best to coach, help, support them so they do as well as they possibly can.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
My son is 4 now I can only hope I am lucky enough to be in your position when he gets your kids age. When I was young all I thought about was getting messed up and doing hood rat shit with my friends.

What better guidance can your son get than from you? It shows he is already disciplined raised properly and has goals and is ambitious. Better have him doing this then wasting his time away doing something that will not teach him discipline, hard work and need dedication like this.

I am not sure how old he is but as long as he does not take any PED'S until his mid 20's preferably which will be hard to stay away from you should be good. Other than that I really see no negatives and you get a work out partner to spot you lol. He could play football get concussions or a broken neck or any other shit. I would be happy and proud if I were in your shoes.

Only thing that weirds me out is the speedo shit on stage lol

Last edited:

testnoob

Reaction score
If my son wants to lift when he's older, i'll guide him.. but i will let him find his own path and answer questions when/if he asks. i'll most likely direct him to his dad.

He's five. I encourage him to bike. I'll even tell him to go on the stationary bike...

His behaviour hasn't been all that great the past few days. I think I will start having him get on the stationary more often or get him to ride his bike when he's angry to redirect his emotions.

I can relate. My son is 8 and he has a temper on him. We went out and got him a heavy bag and it had worked wonders

Ragingmenace223

Reaction score
my dad had me working out since i could remember. made sure i had right diet and did push ups and sit ups till i puked...im so grateful that he laid the ground work...i killed every sport i did because of him...he rode me way to hard though...
dont really know what u are asking but if its if he should compete or not ,here is what i would do.
Id see how passionate he is about it and see if he wants to start this as an ongoing thing. Do as much research as you can about the injury issue and discuss the possibility with him. Im not sure of his age but i would just try and support what he wants. If he doesnt care maybe you should wait and see if his mind changes.
All i know is my father rode me so hard he made me hate it and rebel.so finding the right amount of drive is crucial..imo..i hope this helps some

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe I'm weird but I would love if I had a child and they showed an interest in something I'm passionate about. I would do my very best to coach, help, support them so they do as well as they possibly can.

All of my young men have held a fishing rod since they were little. 3 of the four have gone hunting with me and given a buck a dirt nap within their second year of hunting. Those past times are different, they don't bite back. I was always a little concerned for them in football but never wrestling, both of which I competed in.

My oldest still workouts on a regular basis and also runs. I was happy to pass on the lifestyle to him but competing is just a different level. Andy mentioned BBing, since that's his thing, that I would have less of an issue with. Powerlifting is a 100% chance of injury.

ComeBacKid85

Reaction score
Your a good dad snake. The fact you care so much and are thinking of him proves it. Whatever your kids do. They are lucky to have a dad who cares so much. Sounds like you want him to BB. Just use the angle you’ll be super sexy and get a smoking hot wife. Haha good luck with it Boss:32 (1):

Reaction score
I like this thread! This is the fun part about bodybuilding. Helping our kids be better than us. My son (5) sees me working out and he tries as well. All I know if I was 5 he would definitely kick my ass lol

starting small. Sweet potatoes for now eventually 100lb dumbbells for him lol

Attachments

• 71DD94DD-AE58-4773-8500-3D4A0E9D08B4.jpg
    71DD94DD-AE58-4773-8500-3D4A0E9D08B4.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 1

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Snake - not to sound like an asshole, but as a fellow father of 3 boys...

Nut up and let your boys become men. You want to raise alphas or betas? If the kid wants to lift - let him lift. Wants to play football - let him play and on down the line.

I don’t push my kids to do anything, but if they ask for something and show passion - I give them every opportunity.

stress form over weight for the young padawan. My Oldest 12 yr old has become a gym rat football player. I love to see it.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Also snake - I know we know each other and you know that I consider you an Amazing father. You’re boys hunt and fish and all that good stuff.

but they’re going to get hurt in any sport. I believe one of your boys was playing Freshman football a year or so ago? Prob more of a chance of getting hurt in football then powerlifting for a kid.

The injuries in powerlifting generally start coming after years and years of pushing the envelope. I’m not talking the little nagging stuff - that’s every sport. But the catastrophic surgery or cast type injuries - I bet there’s less of that in junior powerlifting then most other sports.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Snake - not to sound like an asshole, but as a fellow father of 3 boys...

Nut up and let your boys become men. You want to raise alphas or betas? If the kid wants to lift - let him lift. Wants to play football - let him play and on down the line.
You're not an asshole, well not a big one anyway. lol I'm not trying to raise an Alpha, just trying to raise 4 good men. We do know each other well enough to know why the platform is no longer our home. It may have given more than it took but damn, that fuuker will take.

Also snake - I know we know each other and you know that I consider you an Amazing father. You’re boys hunt and fish and all that good stuff.

but they’re going to get hurt in any sport. I believe one of your boys was playing Freshman football a year or so ago? Prob more of a chance of getting hurt in football then powerlifting for a kid.

The injuries in powerlifting generally start coming after years and years of pushing the envelope. I’m not talking the little nagging stuff - that’s every sport. But the catastrophic surgery or cast type injuries - I bet there’s less of that in junior powerlifting then most other sports.

Yeah I think I stated that and I couldn't agree more. Injuries come over years of pounding and handling big weight. I'm not too concerned at this point but as a good father yourself, you know we have the ability to see around the curve.

I stay out of the gym for the most part when he's in but I have worked on his DL form and squat depth. Best I can do at this point is show him how to minimize the risk of injury and hope for the best.

New Threads