hotel Livin'?

MS1605

Elite
Reaction score
Hey UG,

Figured I would see if any of you have went through this in the past and have any tips.

I just started working out of town for the first time in my life about 2 months ago. So Mon-thurs or fri im in a tiny hotel with a small fridge and small microwave. there have already been a couple of times where I did not plan adequately enough and we had to stay longer than anticipated. About the best I can do during those times was Muscle milk, meat sticks and cheese and nuts from a gas station. I know thats not great but it was better then the McDs the rest all the guys got. The towns we are working in are extremely small and don't have much.

Anyone have any good tips on things to eat outside just regular meal prep? Things that are good cold is probably a big plus. So far a massive part of my diet on the road has been hard boiled eggs just for the convenience. We are spending roughly 12 hours a day on the job site working and then going back to the hotel. Anyone have any food hacks/tips they developed going through a similar situation?

German89

Elite
Reaction score
pre made chicken from the grocery store.
greek yogurt
oats
pb/nuts
most grocery store have premade beef tips and chicken strips.
most grovery stores have made up salads
fruits
veggies

are you doing hitches?

eta. get a food scale too.

fairlife milk if you can drink it. shakes.

Ragingmenace223

Reaction score
they have packs of flavored tuna and there is a good recipe for protein balls and that will give 10 grams of protein and some carbs from the oats honey and chocolate chips. eat a lot of oikos yogurt...
There is always the jail hook up with ramen noodles as well.

MS1605

Elite
Reaction score
are you doing hitches?

Hmm, what is this? Im from Chicago and this sounds like some country shit?

I'm glad you mentioned Greek yogurt because this is something I was thinking about. My GF just bought me some hemp protein powder and hemp seeds because shes all about that plant based, yoga, tree hugger life. I have never been big on shakes and always did 95% real food but i thought i could give this hemp stuff a try mixed into some yogurt.

Maybe greek yogurt, hemp seed and chocolate protein powder for flavor?

MS1605

Elite
Reaction score
they have packs of flavored tuna and there is a good recipe for protein balls and that will give 10 grams of protein and some carbs from the oats honey and chocolate chips. eat a lot of oikos yogurt...

I totally forgot about that flavored tuna packets. Good call. It has been so long since I purposely tried to grocery shop like this. My normal diet is pretty much fresh meat, vegetables, and eggs...

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
This is what I keep by my desk have some flax seed crackers to go with it when ever I need to snack

that fair line mike German said is great 13g protein for 8oz mix the shake with that your loaded with protein

wendys grilled wraps 20 G protein each grab 2

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
bring your blender/ninja and ur protein powder, get some fresh fruit and u can make a shake or 2 per day.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
damn buddy you just brought me back in time lol the famous cook county jail dips. Nothing like ramen and bologna cooked under a light with a bunch of other commissary ingredients summer sausage crushed flaming hots etc....

lmao

German89

Elite
Reaction score
A hitch is when you're gone for two weeks or longer at a time. Come home and go back out.

German89

Elite
Reaction score
damn buddy you just brought me back in time lol the famous cook county jail dips. Nothing like ramen and bologna cooked under a light with a bunch of other commissary ingredients summer sausage crushed flaming hots etc....

lmao

wrapped in a towel as tight as possible

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
You just made it in garbage bags you could buy burrito wraps on commissary I preferred with out just eat it like spaghetti lol . Healthy for sure no delicious for the circumstances for sure.

wrapped in a towel as tight as possible

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Actually have done a lot of moonlighting out of town. You can get coolers that plug into the wall or just a big ass cooler and ice, meal prep microwavable stuff ahead of time and take it with you. You can get a lot of ready to eat stuff at the grocery store too (cottage cheese, deli meat, fruit, veggies, etc....) Get a rice cooker and take that with you.

Yeah it takes some work. How bad do you want it?

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
Hotel living is pretty cool.

Lived in a nice clean spacious hotel for over a year.

Costed 1250 a month up front.

Had a stove and full size fridge though.

id make stuff like 2 boxes of craft mac and cheese 2 cans of cream of chicken 2 cans of chicken 2 cans of peas 2 cans of corn all mixed together in the end

simple and easy got 2 to three servings out of it.

bread & butter & chocolate milk

the good ole days

Boytoy

Elite
Reaction score
When I worked on dredge lived out of a motel and you can laugh if you want but baby food is a great source of anything you need and is all in jars so doesn't go bad as quick as fruits and veggies.

MS1605

Elite
Reaction score
that fair line mike German said is great 13g protein for 8oz mix the shake with that your loaded with protein

wendys grilled wraps 20 G protein each grab 2
I'm definitely going to try and find that milk you guys are talking about and get some tuna. there are usually Wendy's around so I will have to check out that grilled wrap to.

bring your blender/ninja and ur protein powder, get some fresh fruit and u can make a shake or 2 per day.

I'm trying hard to stick with whole foods instead of just going to shake her out because I don't know how long this gig is going to last. If it lasts any substantial amount of time I need to figure out how to do this the right way. Shakes will always be a backup though.

Actually have done a lot of moonlighting out of town. You can get coolers that plug into the wall or just a big ass cooler and ice, meal prep microwavable stuff ahead of time and take it with you. You can get a lot of ready to eat stuff at the grocery store too (cottage cheese, deli meat, fruit, veggies, etc....) Get a rice cooker and take that with you.

Yeah it takes some work. How bad do you want it?

Real bad, daddy.

When I worked on dredge lived out of a motel and you can laugh if you want but baby food is a great source of anything you need and is all in jars so doesn't go bad as quick as fruits and veggies.

Dude....

When i was in my early 20s i was working construction and doing MMA 5 days a week and I used to eat so much baby food because it was clean and super convenient. I do not know how many conversations I had to have about this when people would see me. I'm glad to finally meet somebody else that gets it. I thought I was just a nut....

Buy a lil grill & a rice cooker

I was actually looking at little tabletop grills this weekend. You can get pretty nice ones for $150. I just don't know if it would be easier to cook on the weekends and bring stuff with me or take a whole grill with me. The hardest part is finding a place to wash all the dishes and that whole mess.

I was really weighing the pros and cons of this route....

Get a small Foreman grill!

Man I didn't even think about this. I had one of those years ago and it was great. Again my only problem that I foresee with that is having to do dishes in the bathroom sink.

I am leaning towards just meal prepping every sunday and just always have my meals laid out for like 4 days.

I'm still trying to give myself a reason to buy a mini grill though....

I think it would be kind of fun in the middle of the summer time the post up out front the hotel and have a grill going, some tunes and toss some bags.

I just know if we started doing that it would quickly lead to drinking large amounts of booze thus completely negating all of the hard work with the food prepping.

A hitch is when you're gone for two weeks or longer at a time. Come home and go back out.

Ahhh never heard that term.

So far I have done one 2 week stint. The rest have just been Mon-thurs and have averaged 5 hours west of me. Not a bad gig so far.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Man I didn't even think about this. I had one of those years ago and it was great. Again my only problem that I foresee with that is having to do dishes in the bathroom sink.

I am leaning towards just meal prepping every sunday and just always have my meals laid out for like 4 days.

I'm still trying to give myself a reason to buy a mini grill though....

I think it would be kind of fun in the middle of the summer time the post up out front the hotel and have a grill going, some tunes and toss some bags.

I just know if we started doing that it would quickly lead to drinking large amounts of booze thus completely negating all of the hard work with the food prepping.

Your frig will not be big enough for meal preps. Unless at a place with a kitchenette!

A George Foreman mini cooks for 1 person and all you need is dishes for 1 if you are alone.

I buy sides and vegi's at the local supermarket deli section.

Last edited:

MS1605

Elite
Reaction score
Your frig will not be big enough for meal preps. Unless at a place with a kitchenette!

A George Foreman mini cooks for 1 person and all you need is dishes for 1 if you are alone.

I buy sides and vegi's at the local supermarket deli section.

My solution to this was a big cooler since there is always free ice at hotels.

Still going back and forth on this idea.

New Threads