Scientific support behind foods that harden stool

Reaction score
I apologize in advance for the awkward title but its an earnest question lol.

Since Im on cycle now and eating a good amount of calories (3500 per day) I want to make sure my GI system is able to absorb as many nutrients as possible.

With that being said, I know that if you have diarrhea, then a lot of the nutrients and fat in the food arent being absorbed as its simply passing the GI system too quickly.

My diet is very stable as I pretty much eat exactly the same thing every day:
meal 1: 2 cup cheerios with 2 cups of 1% milk
meal 2: 3 cups turkey chili (standard stuff that goes into a chili)
meal 3: 1 chicken breast (200g) with 300g golden potatoes and 50g green beans
meal 4: PBJ sandwich with 1 cup of 1% milk
snacks in between: 0% fat Greek Yogurt/Protein bar/Fig bars/Bananas/Orange juice
water intake: a little over a gallon per day

Now thus far in my cycle (4 weeks at this point) thankfully I havent had diarrhea, however I have often had stool that floats and is fluffy (which I believe is a sign that Im not fully absorbing the fat) so given my diet that I listed above, I want to know what foods (supplements are OK but I dont want medications like Pepto or Imodium).

I dont think its a fiber issue, perhaps Im having too much fiber??

Also Ive been making it a point to have greek yogurt every day as I know the live cultures help to maintain a healthy intestinal flora.

Doing a quick google search yields many results like that applesauce, banana and rice tend to harden stool.
But in my anecdotal experience those foods dont really help that much in hardening.

The problem is that there doesnt seem to be hard scientific evidence behind foods that help in hardening, the only thing that works for sure is actual medication (which Im trying to avoid).

A bit of an odd question I know, but would love feedback if anyone has knowledge or experience on this!

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Uncooked oats w rasin bran!
Works for me!
Thts usually my before bed snack!

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Cheese makes my kid shit bricks.

sfw509

Reaction score
Not sure if I would work for you, but calcium citrate may help. When I have supplemented with it in then past I have experienced the desired effect you are seeking.

dragon1952

Elite
Reaction score
Protein powder. Since I started using the whey and micellar casein powders daily my stools are perfect.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Are u sure ur chitten fluffyness and looseness isnt due to something ur taking in ur cycle?

Change up ur foods,

Prebiotics and pro biotics might also help

Reaction score
I take 2 immodium a day with my vitamins, and some align probiotic. It has really helped me in this area. I used to have IBS, and symptoms are pretty non-existent now. I finally poop like a normal human, solid like 75% of the time.

Bananas and boiled eggs seem to help also. Protein powder does not help me and makes me gassy.

Reaction score
It can also be a sign of IBS if things aren't perfectly solid. You can have the most perfect diet and that'll still mess your shit up, literally.