Back Strong and Beltless...

BrotherIron

Reaction score
When it comes to lifting, a weight belt has become more fashion accessory than essential workout gear

Remember when the only time you would see someone wearing a belt in the gym is when they were performing the heaviest squats, dead lifts and overhead presses? Now it seems everyone wears a belt regardless of what exercise they're performing or how heavy they're lifting. Squats? You MUST wear a belt. Bench presses? You SHOULD wear a belt. Biceps curls? Well, you know, just to be on the safe side...

It's getting ridiculous...

The trend to wear a weight belt has now extended beyond the gym. Trash collectors, truck drivers, and construction workers often spend their entire workday in a weight belt as do mail carriers, grocery clerks and even the pizza guy. Some companies have gone so far as to make it a mandatory safety policy that all employees wear a back harness. What's going on here? Do weight belts really protect the back? Will they make you stronger? Can the estimated 85 percent of Americans who will suffer from at least one episode of back pain in their lives find relief, and possibly even avoid surgery, by making a weight belt a habit?

Before I answer these questions, try to dig up recent pictures of the world's best Olympic weightlifters in competition. Isn't it interesting that they never use belts when performing the snatch, and seldom in the clean and jerk? Even in training you'll find many of these lifters train without any forms of artificial support.

INTRA-ABDOMINAL PRESSURE TO THE RESCUE
To determine whether or not weight belts can protect the back, it's necessary to first look at one of the body's support mechanisms for the spine: intra abdominal pressure.

As you bend forward, the pressure in your lumbar disks should increase in direct proportion to the degree of forward bending. When using heavy weights in the squat and dead lift, intra-disk pressure may rise 300% above normal--such high levels of stress could cause disk herniation if your body did not take measures to protect these structures.

When you bend forward your abdominal muscles contract, compressing the internal organs, forcing them downward into the pelvic basin and upward into the diaphragm. Through this intra abominal pressure mechanism there is a decompression of the two lowest vertebral disks (L4/5 and L5/S1). This decompression may be as great as 30% or as low as 6%. Regardless of the magnitude of the decompression, the important point to remember is that these two lumbar disks carry the greatest load of all spinal disks. If the intra-abdominal pressure mechanism is weakened or faulty, it will proportionally affect the other mechanisms, leaving the lower lumbar disks at a high risk for injury.

ENTER THE WEIGHT BELT
So how do weight belts fit into this picture?

When a weight belt is wrapped tightly around your torso, intra-abdominal pressure increases. This belt compression creates a mechanical phenomenon known as "hoop tension," and this hoop tension will enable you to lift more weight.

A good way to understand hoop tension is to visualize what occurs when you squeeze toothpaste out of the tube. When you apply pressure to the tube, the hoop tension forces the toothpaste to ooze out one end of the tube. Knee wraps utilize hoop tension around knee joint to help you lift more weight in squats. Because these wraps are compressive and restrict freedom of motion in the hinge joint, an extension force is created in direct proportion to the level of hoop tension. You can determine how much hoop tension contributes to your squat by seeing how much you can lift with and without wraps.

Hoop tension develops naturally when you contract your abs or artificially when you tighten your weight belt. The result is a "hydraulic amplifier mechanism" that assists in straightening the spine. Natural hoop tension is the body's innate mechanism for increasing your lifting ability.

Wait there's more!
Weighing the value of potential increased strength from wearing a weight belt and potential risk requires you to understand the downside of weight belts as well as the pluses. For ex., there's a limit to how much intra-abdominal pressure your body will allow, and this is always less than the the pressure in the blood vessels that pass through the diaphragm. If you were able to exceed the blood pressure levels in these vessels, the blood flow to the heart would be stopped!

To ensure sufficient circulation to the heart, when you lift heavy weights your abdominal muscles only contract hard enough to develop the optimal amount of intra-abdominal pressure. Consequently, chronic use of a weight belt will DECONDITION the abdominal muscles' capacity to develop intra-abdominal pressure. This causes a big problem the day you show up to the gym without a weight belt.

Because weight belts are usually very wide, they restrict motion in the lumbar spine. When you bend forward during exercises like squats or good mornings, 80% of the lumbar motion occurs in the lower two lumbar disks. With the addition of a constantly worn weight belt, the upper lumbar segments become partially immobilized, forcing the lower two lumbar disks to contribute more than their fair share of the work. This stress accelerates degeneration in these disks, which are the most commonly injured to begin with.

Constant use of a weight belt also affects the natural rotation of the lumbar spine, reducing the work of the lumbar stabilizer muscles. This deconditions and destabilizes the lumbar spine, an effect which also accelerates the onset of disk degeneration, destruction and possibly osteoarthritis.

Finally, prolonged/constant use of a weight belt can affect your natural diaphragmatic breathing pattern, resulting in overuse of the accessory respiratory muscles. Clinically, this "chest breathing" is associated with tension headaches, poor posture and accelerated degenerative changes in the cervical spine.

WEANING YOURSELF FROM THE BELT
If you currently use a weight belt ALL the time, I suggest weaning yourself from it--don't go cold turkey! You need to retrain and recondition the abdominal mechanism first.

Start by wearing your belt only when performing lifts of more than 60% intensity and eventually work up to wearing it for lifts of more than 85% of your 1RM.

The fact is: prolonged use of weight belts all the time contributes to dysfunction and potential injury in the lumbar spine.

I'm not advocating never wearing a belt... NOT at all. I'm merely stating that you should not wear one ALL the time. I believe that a belt should be worn with lifts greater than 85% to help keep the lifter as a safe as possible when performing heavy lifts. Forgoing wearing one with lifts under 85% will help to keep your abdominal wall strong and keep dysfunction at bay.

Belts a great but remember they are a tool to be used some of the time and NOT all of the time.

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Thanks for the good information!
I never wear a belt or use straps,
Only on my heaviest lift,
Never when just training!

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
Never use a belt unless I wanna get silly and try some 1 rm prs squating or deadlifting once in a blue.

sfw509

Reaction score
Good info.

I never wear a belt. I don't really do 1RM 's. When I go heavy I focus on sets of 3 or 4. I just don't feel a belt is needed. Maybe I am not going heavy enough. Hahaha.

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
I only wear a belt on heavy squats, never on dead’s even in meets.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
Agree. They are a tool, but I quickly realized I was having a difficult time when i only put it on once or twice a session. Sometimes missing my top lifts only to take it off ans get the lift without.

Now, it's on every set of squats and deads so I will be able to utilize it to the full potential.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Agree. They are a tool, but I quickly realized I was having a difficult time when i only put it on once or twice a session. Sometimes missing my top lifts only to take it off ans get the lift without.

Now, it's on every set of squats and deads so I will be able to utilize it to the full potential.

For me personally, I don't wear it for every set on squat and pulls. I put mine on at 80% 1RM for pulls and squats. I put on my knee sleeves when I hit 70% 1RM. This way I strengthen ligaments, tendons, etc so they'll be able to handle the heavier weights as I increase my 1RM.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
good read.
I always joke that the guys wearing weight belts thier whole workout are gonna snap thier back up one day picking up a penny off the ground lol.

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
I belt up for heavy squats and heavy bent over rows. I don't like wearing it at all personally but those 2 lifts i have to

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Would you mind citing sources for this article?

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Would you mind citing sources for this article?

Sure. Here are the sources for the article.

References:

1. Waddell, G. The Back Pain Revolution. New York: Churchill Livingstone, 1998.
  2. Ironmind Enterprises (catalog)
  3. Webster, D. The Iron Game. Scotland: John Geddes Printers Irvine, 1976.
  4. Lovett, R. Lateral Curvature of the Spine and Round Shoulders Philadelphia: P. Blakiston’s Son & Co., 1912.
  5. Steindler, A. Post-Graduate Lectures on Orthopedic Diagnosis and Indications Charles C Thomas, 1951.
  6. Richardson C., Jull G., Hodges P. and Hides J. Therapeutic Exercise For Spinal Segmental Stabilization In Low Back Pain – Scientific Basis And Clinical Approach. London, New York, Philidelphia, Sydney, Toronto: Churchill Livingstone,1999.
  7. Ed by: Vleeming A., Mooney V., Snijders C.J., Dorman T.A. and Stoeckart R. Movement, Stability & Low Back Pain – The Essential Role of the Pelivs. New York, Edinburgh, London, Madrid, Melbourne, San Francisco and Tokyo: Churchill Livingstone, 1997.
  8. Gracovetsky, S. The Spinal Engine. Wien, New York: Springer-Verlag, 1988.
  9. Dart R.A. The Double-Spiral Arangement Of The Voluntary Musculature In The Human Body. Surgeons’ Hall Journal Vol. 10, No. 2. Oct. 1946 – March 1947.
  10. Hodges P. W., Richardson C.A. Feedforward contraction of transversus abdominis is not influenced by the direction of arm movement. Exp Brain Res (1997) 114:362-370.
  11. Aruin S.A., Latash M.L. Directional specificity of postural muscles in feed-forward postural reactions during fast voluntary arm movements. Exp Brain Res (1995) 103:323-332.
  12. Cresswell A.G., Grundstrom H., Thorstensson A. Observations on intra-abdominal pressure and patterns of abdominal intra-muscular activity in man. Acta Physiol Scand 1992, 144, 409-418.
  13. Hodges P.W., Richardson C.A. Contraction of the Abdominal Muscles Associated With Movement of the Lower Limb. Physical Therapy. Vol. 77 No. 2 February, 1997.
  14. Norris C.M. Functional load abdominal training: part 1. Journal Of Bodywork And Movement Therapies July 1999
  15. Lee D. The Pelvic Girdle (2nd. Ed.) – An Approach to the Examination and Treatment of the Lumbo-Pelvic-Hip Region. Edinburgh, London, New York, Philadelphia, Sydney, Toronto: Churchill Livingstone, 1999.
  16. Richardson C.A., Jull G.A. Muscle control – pain control. What exercises would you prescribe? Manual Therapy(1995) 1, 2-10.
  17. Bogduk N., Towmey L.T. Clinical Anatomy of the Lumbar Spine (2nd. Ed.). Melbourne, Edinburgh, London, New York and Tokyo: Churchill Livingstone, 1991.
  18. Wirhed, R. Athletic Ability & the Anatomy of Motion. Wolfe Medical Publications Ltd., 1984.
  19. White, A. and Panjabi, M. Clinical Biomechanics of the Spine 2nd. ED. J.B. Lippincott Co., 1990.
  20. Cholewicki, J., Juluru, K., McGill, S. Intra-abdominal Pressure Mechanism for Stabilizing the Lumbar Spine. Journal of Biomechanics 32 (1999) 13-17.
  21. Bogkuk, N. Clinical Anatomy of the Lumbar Spine and Sacrum 3rd. ED. Churchill Livingstone, 1999.
  22. Chek P. Scientific Back Training. (correspondence course) Encinitas, CA: Chek Institute, 1995.
  23. Chek P. Scientific Core Conditioning. (correspondence course) Encinitas, CA: Chek Institute, 1993,1999.
  24. Chek P. The Outer Unit.
  25. Ziglar Z. How To Stay Motivated. (tape series) . Carrollton, TX: The Zig Ziglar Corp.
  26. Lahad A., Malter A.D., Berg A.O., Deyo R.A. The effectiveness of four interventions for the prevention of low back pain. JAMA 1994;272:1286-91.
  27. Majkowski G.R., Jovag B.W., Taylor B.T., Taylor M.S., Allison S.C., Stetts D.M., Clayton R.L. The Effect of Back Belt Use on Isometric Lifting Force and Fatigue of the Lumbar Paraspinal Muscles. Spine Vol. 23, No. 19, pp 2104-2109, 1998.
  28. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. Workplace use of back belts: Review and recommendations. Rockville, MD: Department of Health and Human Services (National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health) Publication No. 94-122, 1994
  29. Mitchell L.V., Lawler F.H., Bowen D., Mote W., Asundi P., Purswell J. Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of employer-issued back belts in areas of high risk for back injury. J Occup Med 1994 Jan;36(1):90-94.
  30. Thomas J.S., Lavender S.A., Corcos D.M., Andersson G.B. Effect of lifting belts on trunk muscle activation during a suddenly applied load. Hum Factors 1999 Dec;41(4): 670-6.
  31. Reyna J.R., Leggett S.H., Kenny K., Holmes B. and Mooney V. The Effect of Lumbar Belts on Isolated Lumbar Muscle Strength and Dynamic Capacity. Spine Vol. 20 No. 1 pp 68-73, 1995.
  32. McGill S.M., Norman R.w., Sharratt M.T. The effect of an abdominal belt on trunk muscle activity and intra-abdominal pressure during squat lifts. Ergonomics 1990 Feb;33(2):147-60.
  33. Hodgson E.A. Occupational back belt use: a literature review. AAOHN J 1996 Sep;44(9): 438-43.
  34. Ciriello V.M., Snook S.H. The effect of back belts on lumbar muscle fatigue. Spine 1995 Jun 1;20(11):1271-8; discussion 1278.
  35. Cholewicki J., Juluru K., Radebold A., Panjabi M.M., Magill S.M. Lumbar spine stability can be augmented with an abdominal belt and/or increased intra-abdominal pressure. Eur Spine J 1999;8(5): 388-95.
  36. Smith E.B., Rasmussen A.A., Lechner D.E., Gossman M.R., Quintana J.B. The effects of lumbosacral support belts and abdominal muscle strength on functional lifting ability in healthy women. Spine 1996 Feb 1;21(3):356-66.
  37. Zatsiorskii V.M., Sazanov V.P. A Waist-Corset For Decreasing The Risk Of Injury To The Spine When Lifting Weights And Doing Strength Exercises. Teoriya I Praktika Fizicheskii Kultury 3:15-17, 1987.
  38. Bourne N.D., Reilly T. Effect of a weightlifting belt on spinal shrinkage. Br J Sports Med 1991 Dec;25(4): 209-12.
  39. Lander J.E., Simonton R.L., Giacobbe J.K.F. The effectiveness of weight-belts during the squat exercise. Medicine and Science In Sports And Exercise Vol. 22, No. 1 Feb. 1990 pp 117-26.
  40. Miyamoto K., Iinuma N., Maeda M., Wada E., Shimizu K. Effects of abdominal belts on intra-abdominal pressure, intra-muscular pressure in the erector spinae muscles and myoelectrical activities of trunk muscles. Clinical Biomechanics, Feb. 1999 14(2): 79-87.
  41. Drechsler A. The Weightlifting Encyclopedia: A Guide To World Class. Whitestone, New York: Performance A is A Communications, 1998.
  42. Axelsson P., Johnsson R., Stromqvist B. Effect of lumbar orthosis on intervertebral mobioity. A roentgen sterophotogrammetric analysis. Spine 1992 Jun;17(6): 678-81.
  43. Miller R.A., Hardcastle P., Renwick S.E. Lower spinal mobility and external immobilization in the normal and pathologic condition. Orthop Rev 1992 Jun;21(6):753-7.
  44. Bauer J.A., Fry A., Carter C. The Use of Lumbar Supporting Weight Belts While Performing Squats: Erector Spinae Electromyographic Activity.
  45. Hodges P. Richardson C., Jull G. Evaluation of the relationship between laboratory and clinical tests of transversus abdominis function. Physiother Res Int 1996;1(1):30-40.
  46. Cholewicki J., Juluru K., McGill S. Intra-abdominal pressure mechanism for stabilizing the lumbar spine. Journal of Biomechanics 32 (1999) 13-17.
  47. Keith A. Menders Of The Maimed – The Anatomical & Physiological Principles Underlying The Treatment Of Injuries To Muscles, Nerves, Bones & Joints. Robert E. Kreiger Publishing Co, 1975.
  48. Abreu B.C. Physical Disabilities Manual. (pp 137) New York: Raven Press, 1981.
  49. Fortin J.D. Weight Lifting (Ch. 45, p. 496) In: Watkins R.G., The Spine In Sports St. Louis: Mosby, 1996.
  50. Brownstein B., Bronner S. Functional Movement – In Orthopedic And Sports Physical Therapy New York, London, Edinburgh, Melbourne, San Francisco, Tokyo: Churchill Livingstone, 1997.
  51. Gill K.P., Callaghan M.J. The Measurement of Lumbar Proprioception in Individuals With and Without Back Pain. Spine Vol. 23, No. 3, pp 371-77.
  52. Steadman’s Medical Electronic Dictionary. Baltimore, MD: Williams & Wilkins, 1996.
  53. Hanna T. Somatics: Reawakening the Mind's Control of Movement, Flexibility, and Health. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Perseus Books, 1988.
  54. Chek P. Corrective and High-performance Exercise Kinesiology Certification Manual – Level II (four year internship program course manual) Encinitas, CA: C.H.E.K Institute.
  55. Lander J.E., Hundley J.R., Somonton R.L. The effectiveness of weight-belts during multiple repetitions of the squat exercise. Medcine and Science In Sports and Exercise 1992 May;24(5):603-9.
  56. McGorry R.W., Hsiang S.M. The effect of industrial back belts and breathing technique on trunk and pelvic coordination during a lifting task. Spine 1999 Jun 1;24(11):1124-30.
  57. Chek P. Equal But Not the Same – Considerations for Training Females (correspondence course) Encinitas, CA: C.H.E.K Institute.
  58. DonTigny R.L. Function of the Lumbosacroiliac Complex as a Self-Compensating Force-Couple with a Variable-Dependent Transverse Axis: A Theoretical Analysis. Journal of Manual and Manipulative Therapy Vol. 2:3, 87-93.
  59. Janda V. Muscles, Central Nervous Motor Regulation and Back Pain. (27-41) In: Korr I.M. (Ed.) The Neurobiologic Mechanisms in Manipulative Therapy. New York and London: Plenum Press, 1978.
  60. Chek P. Core Conditioning Volume 1 Part 1 – The Gym Instructor Series Encinitas, CA: C.H.E.K Institute, 1997.
  61. Kegel A.H. Progressive Resistance Exercise In The Functional Restoration Of The Perineal Muscles. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology August, 1948.
  62. Chek P. Advanced Program Design (Correspondence Course) Encinitas, CA: C.H.E.K Institute, 1998.

Last edited:

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Sure. Here are the sources for the article.

References:

1. Waddell, G. The Back Pain Revolution. New York: Churchill Livingstone, 1998.
  2. Ironmind Enterprises (catalog)
  3. Webster, D. The Iron Game. Scotland: John Geddes Printers Irvine, 1976.
  4. Lovett, R. Lateral Curvature of the Spine and Round Shoulders Philadelphia: P. Blakiston’s Son & Co., 1912.
  5. Steindler, A. Post-Graduate Lectures on Orthopedic Diagnosis and Indications Charles C Thomas, 1951.
  6. Richardson C., Jull G., Hodges P. and Hides J. Therapeutic Exercise For Spinal Segmental Stabilization In Low Back Pain – Scientific Basis And Clinical Approach. London, New York, Philidelphia, Sydney, Toronto: Churchill Livingstone,1999.
  7. Ed by: Vleeming A., Mooney V., Snijders C.J., Dorman T.A. and Stoeckart R. Movement, Stability & Low Back Pain – The Essential Role of the Pelivs. New York, Edinburgh, London, Madrid, Melbourne, San Francisco and Tokyo: Churchill Livingstone, 1997.
  8. Gracovetsky, S. The Spinal Engine. Wien, New York: Springer-Verlag, 1988.
  9. Dart R.A. The Double-Spiral Arangement Of The Voluntary Musculature In The Human Body. Surgeons’ Hall Journal Vol. 10, No. 2. Oct. 1946 – March 1947.
  10. Hodges P. W., Richardson C.A. Feedforward contraction of transversus abdominis is not influenced by the direction of arm movement. Exp Brain Res (1997) 114:362-370.
  11. Aruin S.A., Latash M.L. Directional specificity of postural muscles in feed-forward postural reactions during fast voluntary arm movements. Exp Brain Res (1995) 103:323-332.
  12. Cresswell A.G., Grundstrom H., Thorstensson A. Observations on intra-abdominal pressure and patterns of abdominal intra-muscular activity in man. Acta Physiol Scand 1992, 144, 409-418.
  13. Hodges P.W., Richardson C.A. Contraction of the Abdominal Muscles Associated With Movement of the Lower Limb. Physical Therapy. Vol. 77 No. 2 February, 1997.
  14. Norris C.M. Functional load abdominal training: part 1. Journal Of Bodywork And Movement Therapies July 1999
  15. Lee D. The Pelvic Girdle (2nd. Ed.) – An Approach to the Examination and Treatment of the Lumbo-Pelvic-Hip Region. Edinburgh, London, New York, Philadelphia, Sydney, Toronto: Churchill Livingstone, 1999.
  16. Richardson C.A., Jull G.A. Muscle control – pain control. What exercises would you prescribe? Manual Therapy(1995) 1, 2-10.
  17. Bogduk N., Towmey L.T. Clinical Anatomy of the Lumbar Spine (2nd. Ed.). Melbourne, Edinburgh, London, New York and Tokyo: Churchill Livingstone, 1991.
  18. Wirhed, R. Athletic Ability & the Anatomy of Motion. Wolfe Medical Publications Ltd., 1984.
  19. White, A. and Panjabi, M. Clinical Biomechanics of the Spine 2nd. ED. J.B. Lippincott Co., 1990.
  20. Cholewicki, J., Juluru, K., McGill, S. Intra-abdominal Pressure Mechanism for Stabilizing the Lumbar Spine. Journal of Biomechanics 32 (1999) 13-17.
  21. Bogkuk, N. Clinical Anatomy of the Lumbar Spine and Sacrum 3rd. ED. Churchill Livingstone, 1999.
  22. Chek P. Scientific Back Training. (correspondence course) Encinitas, CA: Chek Institute, 1995.
  23. Chek P. Scientific Core Conditioning. (correspondence course) Encinitas, CA: Chek Institute, 1993,1999.
  24. Chek P. The Outer Unit.
  25. Ziglar Z. How To Stay Motivated. (tape series) . Carrollton, TX: The Zig Ziglar Corp.
  26. Lahad A., Malter A.D., Berg A.O., Deyo R.A. The effectiveness of four interventions for the prevention of low back pain. JAMA 1994;272:1286-91.
  27. Majkowski G.R., Jovag B.W., Taylor B.T., Taylor M.S., Allison S.C., Stetts D.M., Clayton R.L. The Effect of Back Belt Use on Isometric Lifting Force and Fatigue of the Lumbar Paraspinal Muscles. Spine Vol. 23, No. 19, pp 2104-2109, 1998.
  28. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. Workplace use of back belts: Review and recommendations. Rockville, MD: Department of Health and Human Services (National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health) Publication No. 94-122, 1994
  29. Mitchell L.V., Lawler F.H., Bowen D., Mote W., Asundi P., Purswell J. Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of employer-issued back belts in areas of high risk for back injury. J Occup Med 1994 Jan;36(1):90-94.
  30. Thomas J.S., Lavender S.A., Corcos D.M., Andersson G.B. Effect of lifting belts on trunk muscle activation during a suddenly applied load. Hum Factors 1999 Dec;41(4): 670-6.
  31. Reyna J.R., Leggett S.H., Kenny K., Holmes B. and Mooney V. The Effect of Lumbar Belts on Isolated Lumbar Muscle Strength and Dynamic Capacity. Spine Vol. 20 No. 1 pp 68-73, 1995.
  32. McGill S.M., Norman R.w., Sharratt M.T. The effect of an abdominal belt on trunk muscle activity and intra-abdominal pressure during squat lifts. Ergonomics 1990 Feb;33(2):147-60.
  33. Hodgson E.A. Occupational back belt use: a literature review. AAOHN J 1996 Sep;44(9): 438-43.
  34. Ciriello V.M., Snook S.H. The effect of back belts on lumbar muscle fatigue. Spine 1995 Jun 1;20(11):1271-8; discussion 1278.
  35. Cholewicki J., Juluru K., Radebold A., Panjabi M.M., Magill S.M. Lumbar spine stability can be augmented with an abdominal belt and/or increased intra-abdominal pressure. Eur Spine J 1999;8(5): 388-95.
  36. Smith E.B., Rasmussen A.A., Lechner D.E., Gossman M.R., Quintana J.B. The effects of lumbosacral support belts and abdominal muscle strength on functional lifting ability in healthy women. Spine 1996 Feb 1;21(3):356-66.
  37. Zatsiorskii V.M., Sazanov V.P. A Waist-Corset For Decreasing The Risk Of Injury To The Spine When Lifting Weights And Doing Strength Exercises. Teoriya I Praktika Fizicheskii Kultury 3:15-17, 1987.
  38. Bourne N.D., Reilly T. Effect of a weightlifting belt on spinal shrinkage. Br J Sports Med 1991 Dec;25(4): 209-12.
  39. Lander J.E., Simonton R.L., Giacobbe J.K.F. The effectiveness of weight-belts during the squat exercise. Medicine and Science In Sports And Exercise Vol. 22, No. 1 Feb. 1990 pp 117-26.
  40. Miyamoto K., Iinuma N., Maeda M., Wada E., Shimizu K. Effects of abdominal belts on intra-abdominal pressure, intra-muscular pressure in the erector spinae muscles and myoelectrical activities of trunk muscles. Clinical Biomechanics, Feb. 1999 14(2): 79-87.
  41. Drechsler A. The Weightlifting Encyclopedia: A Guide To World Class. Whitestone, New York: Performance A is A Communications, 1998.
  42. Axelsson P., Johnsson R., Stromqvist B. Effect of lumbar orthosis on intervertebral mobioity. A roentgen sterophotogrammetric analysis. Spine 1992 Jun;17(6): 678-81.
  43. Miller R.A., Hardcastle P., Renwick S.E. Lower spinal mobility and external immobilization in the normal and pathologic condition. Orthop Rev 1992 Jun;21(6):753-7.
  44. Bauer J.A., Fry A., Carter C. The Use of Lumbar Supporting Weight Belts While Performing Squats: Erector Spinae Electromyographic Activity.
  45. Hodges P. Richardson C., Jull G. Evaluation of the relationship between laboratory and clinical tests of transversus abdominis function. Physiother Res Int 1996;1(1):30-40.
  46. Cholewicki J., Juluru K., McGill S. Intra-abdominal pressure mechanism for stabilizing the lumbar spine. Journal of Biomechanics 32 (1999) 13-17.
  47. Keith A. Menders Of The Maimed – The Anatomical & Physiological Principles Underlying The Treatment Of Injuries To Muscles, Nerves, Bones & Joints. Robert E. Kreiger Publishing Co, 1975.
  48. Abreu B.C. Physical Disabilities Manual. (pp 137) New York: Raven Press, 1981.
  49. Fortin J.D. Weight Lifting (Ch. 45, p. 496) In: Watkins R.G., The Spine In Sports St. Louis: Mosby, 1996.
  50. Brownstein B., Bronner S. Functional Movement – In Orthopedic And Sports Physical Therapy New York, London, Edinburgh, Melbourne, San Francisco, Tokyo: Churchill Livingstone, 1997.
  51. Gill K.P., Callaghan M.J. The Measurement of Lumbar Proprioception in Individuals With and Without Back Pain. Spine Vol. 23, No. 3, pp 371-77.
  52. Steadman’s Medical Electronic Dictionary. Baltimore, MD: Williams & Wilkins, 1996.
  53. Hanna T. Somatics: Reawakening the Mind's Control of Movement, Flexibility, and Health. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Perseus Books, 1988.
  54. Chek P. Corrective and High-performance Exercise Kinesiology Certification Manual – Level II (four year internship program course manual) Encinitas, CA: C.H.E.K Institute.
  55. Lander J.E., Hundley J.R., Somonton R.L. The effectiveness of weight-belts during multiple repetitions of the squat exercise. Medcine and Science In Sports and Exercise 1992 May;24(5):603-9.
  56. McGorry R.W., Hsiang S.M. The effect of industrial back belts and breathing technique on trunk and pelvic coordination during a lifting task. Spine 1999 Jun 1;24(11):1124-30.
  57. Chek P. Equal But Not the Same – Considerations for Training Females (correspondence course) Encinitas, CA: C.H.E.K Institute.
  58. DonTigny R.L. Function of the Lumbosacroiliac Complex as a Self-Compensating Force-Couple with a Variable-Dependent Transverse Axis: A Theoretical Analysis. Journal of Manual and Manipulative Therapy Vol. 2:3, 87-93.
  59. Janda V. Muscles, Central Nervous Motor Regulation and Back Pain. (27-41) In: Korr I.M. (Ed.) The Neurobiologic Mechanisms in Manipulative Therapy. New York and London: Plenum Press, 1978.
  60. Chek P. Core Conditioning Volume 1 Part 1 – The Gym Instructor Series Encinitas, CA: C.H.E.K Institute, 1997.
  61. Kegel A.H. Progressive Resistance Exercise In The Functional Restoration Of The Perineal Muscles. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology August, 1948.
  62. Chek P. Advanced Program Design (Correspondence Course) Encinitas, CA: C.H.E.K Institute, 1998.
Hell yeah. Much appreciated, dude.

Reaction score
A funny thing I found is that any belt will do to some degree because a huge part of the belt is a just a cue for creating intra-abdominal pressure.
Pick up a kettlebell with nothing then pickup a kettlebell with a useless piece of rope around your waist or just the normal belt that holds up your pants. You will feel how much more braced you feel and almost involuntarily because you naturally create more pressure with something to push against, even if not tight or thick or anything close to a lifting belt.

New Threads