ATLRigger's Nutrition Log

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
After following a strict vegan diet August 2019 until February 2020, I have switched to a more conventional bodybuilder's diet of high protein, medium fat and low carbs.
Initially I chose the plant-based approach after watching 'Game Changers' documentary film featuring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Patrik Baboumian, and Dotsie Bauch.
I voted for the Governator twice; y'all already know the Vegan Badass; and Bauch won olympic silver in cycling at 39 years old after turning vegan 3 years prior.

I've transitioned to a mostly meat and vegetables approach these past three months however for a couple key reasons; vegan food, while filling and adequate, tastes like cardboard. You feel like you're eating healthy all the time and it gets annoying.
The other reason is cost and availability: there are far fewer choices available and they're far more expensive than your regular food options.
That being said, I've never felt better than those nine months I was vegan dieting.
But now I'm trying to burn fat and add muscle, so here we are.
I have been doing really well with my new diet, and decided to give myself a bit of a break for a week, allowing a few more carbs than usual before I dive back into the strict approach for a few more months.

I decided I needed to keep track of my numbers if I'm gonna slack off for a week, so here's what I've got from yesterday:

Calories: 2770
Fat: 125g
Carbs: 191g
Protein: 189g

This came from:
Oatmeal with raisins and honey
Protein isolate smoothie w/ super greens (fresh kale, chard, spinach, and arugula)
sunflower seeds
chicken quarter with rice and beans
tuna (canned)
chocolate (dark 85% cacao)
avocado
oat milk and chia seeds
bread (1 slice Dave's killer bread)
marina meat sauce
jerk pork chops
cabbage
apple

*sorry to bore y'all and I'm off my soap box now. I am mostly posting to keep honest with myself, but of course this log is open to feedback

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
Well, the plant-based approach lends itself towards high carbs and low fat, yes.
I have not tried carb cycling though. R u saying one day high carbs, the next day medium carbs, the best day low carbs, in rotation ?

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
Yeah that can work or even adding more medium or low carb days, how ever you want to structure it to suit your caloric needs. When I do carb cycling I typically do high carbs on leg days or days where I’m training a weak body part, and medium or low days on stronger body parts, smaller body parts, or days off.

for example I’m currently dieting on 350 carbs and 40g of fat per day. as weight loss slows down I’ll Begin to carb cycle. I may make my high day 600g med day 300 and do 2 low carb days of 150g, so my daily average will be 300g, giving me a 50g drop and the high day should help keep my metabolic function up.

For a lot of people that are training hard it makes sense to keep carbs up to fuel workouts and eating just enough fats to maintain metabolic/hormonal function. This is typically between 30-60g of healthy fats.
high fat low carb diets can certainly work when a large Amount of bodyfat needs to drop, they just tend not to work great for building or retaining the most muscle.

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
Okay that makes sense.
I do cycling (bicycling) thrice weekly and I could take those as carb days.
Maybe a high carb supper if I’m riding the next morning?
Yes i dropped from 22% down to 16% and i want to get down to 12%, hence the current routine. Thanks for feedback

liftsiron

Elite
Reaction score
IMO I would lower the amount of fat, no sense having that much fat in a diet especially when trying to cut. Your getting almost have your daily calories from fat, 1125.

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
IMO I would lower the amount of fat, no sense having that much fat in a diet especially when trying to cut. Your getting almost have your daily calories from fat, 1125.
True, and yesterday was way too high on fat

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
Thursday 5/28 my mom’s birthday, so a big cheat lunch with some Italian food

3250 calories
249g fat
293g carbs
201g protein

I ate:
oatmeal w/ raisins and honey
avocado
sardines
protein isolate smoothie with fresh super greens
1 slice Dave’s killer bread
3 eggs in olive oil
Tortellini woth vodka meat sauce
side salad w/ Italian
milkshake (carb smart breyer’s peanut butter with oat milk)
chicken thighs (3)

Again, to reiterate, I’m gonna give myself the rest of the weekend to slack off and eat liberally before I hunker down and focus up next week.
Need to eat more fruit and veggies during the weekend though. Barely touched any yesterday.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Have you ever tried a higher carb lower fat approach? Or even carb cycling with high med and lows days keeping fat low every day?

BIG fan of carb cycling. That is what I do and how I am able to manipulate my bodyweight while staying full and staying strong.

Also, Game Changers was NOT a documentary... it is a docudrama. It's a biased film showing only 1 side and cherry picking it's data. You wouldn't reach your strength potential begin a vegetarian.

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
Well i seem to be stuck at 16% body fat. Any suggestions appreciated to continue to burn fat. I may just be expecting results too fast.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
what were your daily calories at before you started slackin this past week?

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
Not sure. I’ll have some more data Monday when i get back on the wagon.

dragon1952

Elite
Reaction score
Wish I could eat like that. Anything over 2100 calories and I gain, even doing 40 min moderate cardio daily and lifting 4 times every 8 days :^ / And that's a hi-protein, moderate fat, low carb diet.

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
Wish I could eat like that. Anything over 2100 calories and I gain, even doing 40 min moderate cardio daily and lifting 4 times every 8 days :^ / And that's a hi-protein, moderate fat, low carb diet.
Im cycling (bicycling) 6 hours/ week, walking treadmill 20-30 mins daily, and lifting 6 days/ week. I might be overtraining, but surely that wouldn’t be a hindrance to burning fat, no?

dragon1952

Elite
Reaction score
Yeah you are definitely way more active than I am, and younger..haha. I've never had what you could call a fast metabolism and it gets slower with age, which is probably normal. As for overtraining, I'm not sure of the mechanisms or bodily responses as it pertains to fat loss. Sometimes our bodies don't respond as one might expect though.

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
5/29/2020

2630 calories
160g fat
200g carbs
152g protein

I ate:
avocado
protein isolate smoothie w/ fresh super greens
pork chop
cabbage
plantains
chocolate (85% dark cacao)
vegetable medley
eggs (3) in olive oil
2 slices Dave’s killer bread
Marinara sauce
w/ ground beef and garlic
broccoli
apple
whoke milk yogurt with Cheerios and honey

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It looks like you're still choosing fattier protein sources. An easy fix might be to replace some of the eggs, ground beef and yoghurt with their reduced/no fat counterparts like egg whites, fat free greek yoghurt, ground turkey, etc.

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
2235 calories
84g fat
250g carbs
150g protein

I ate:

Protein isolate smoothie w/ fresh super greens
Salmon (canned)
avocado
green peas and green beans
apple
angel food cake
pasta /chicken and red sauce
sunflower seeds
1/4 chicken
fried plantains

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
It looks like you're still choosing fattier protein sources. An easy fix might be to replace some of the eggs, ground beef and yoghurt with their reduced/no fat counterparts like egg whites, fat free greek yoghurt, ground turkey, etc.
ok thank you I will incorporate ur suggestions.
Also thank you to Brock and Metal who have taken some extra time for some coaching in the private messages sector

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
June 1, 2020
*i rode my bicycle 26 miles to burn 1,400 calories, on top of my 90 min morning weightlifting

2615 calories
91g fat
299g carbs
225g protein

I ate:

cheerios w/ raisins and oatmilk
oysters (canned)
avocado
angel food cake
smoothie w/ fresh super greens
chicken breast
peas