Have been holding off but I think it's time to get a gun or 2

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Since my state is lenient on gun laws I will be going in to do the background check today to get a gun most likely. I was holding back cause of 3 kids in the house and I am not a big fan of guns but it has gotten to the point where I believe one at least is needed in here just in case. My wife gets these ring alerts and literally 4 miles from my house people started looting houses shit can not go down like that I have kids here I have life insurance on the wife (Joke kind of) but the kids are irreplaceable.

Last edited:

Ragingmenace223

Reaction score
thats crazy...i have been wanting one for a while but i need to get a lawyer involved...the world is definitely getting worse... i most certainly would have one if our laws were not so strict here.

Deadhead

Elite
Reaction score
I am a big advocate of the 2nd ammendment, I own several ar 15s, handguns, an ak47, and many hunting rifles and sporting shotguns.... if u have never owned one... start with some safety classes. Shoot them regularly at your local range, and get comfortable with them.
Also buy a safe.. even if it's just a cheap one to make sure your kids cant get to them. As a gun owner it is your upmost responsibility to be fully aware and safe. If u have any questions or concerns I am happy to lead u in the direction you will want to go for help in any area.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Might have to get mine under the wife cause I have a lot of batteries on my record from when I was younger so I might not pass but they are all old as shit but like 10 of them smh.

Deadhead

Elite
Reaction score
Might have to get mine under the wife cause I have a lot of batteries on my record from when I was younger so I might not pass but they are all old as shit but like 10 of them smh.

If it's not a felony you have no worries

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
I am a big advocate of the 2nd ammendment, I own several ar 15s, handguns, an ak47, and many hunting rifles and sporting shotguns.... if u have never owned one... start with some safety classes. Shoot them regularly at your local range, and get comfortable with them.
Also buy a safe.. even if it's just a cheap one to make sure your kids cant get to them. As a gun owner it is your upmost responsibility to be fully aware and safe. If u have any questions or concerns I am happy to lead u in the direction you will want to go for help in any area.

Yeah I got a safe already and I am familiar with guns been around them since I was young but just not a big fan people get stupid with them while drunk and a lot of people for sure should not be handling them but for sure if I have any questions I will ask thank you.

Deadhead

Elite
Reaction score
Yeah I got a safe already and I am familiar with guns been around them since I was young but just not a big fan people get stupid with them while drunk and a lot of people for sure should not be handling them but for sure if I have any questions I will ask thank you.

Ok, sorry if I came off as if you were ignorant to them... that's not what I meant to do... unfortunately in todays world it's best to assume that the person isnt well versed in firearms. I just would hate for something bad to happen. In the right hands a firearm is a priceless tool when needed (which hopefully you never will). I believe if u have a family to protect .... you need at least one. But in the wrong hands a firearm is very dangerous... and peoples stupidity never seems to amaze me.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Ok, sorry if I came off as if you were ignorant to them... that's not what I meant to do... unfortunately in todays world it's best to assume that the person isnt well versed in firearms. I just would hate for something bad to happen. In the right hands a firearm is a priceless tool when needed (which hopefully you never will). I believe if u have a family to protect .... you need at least one. But in the wrong hands a firearm is very dangerous... and peoples stupidity never seems to amaze me.

You did't come off as anything appreciate the willingness to help and in your defense it did seem I didn't know much but I just chose not to own one due to prior I used to get ****ed up a lot and that's not good then had a kid and last thing I wanted to do is take a chance but not I know as long as like you said take appropriate measure to make sure it is safe away from kids I am willing to get one due to the circumstances that are happening.

Deadhead

Elite
Reaction score
You did't come off as anything appreciate the willingness to help and in your defense it did seem I didn't know much but I just chose not to own one due to prior I used to get ****ed up a lot and that's not good then had a kid and last thing I wanted to do is take a chance but not I know as long as like you said take appropriate measure to make sure it is safe away from kids I am willing to get one due to the circumstances that are happening.

The world is a very crazy place right now

BrotherJ

Elite
Reaction score
83028639ae5d46f4abee4a5e2676f79c.jpg

BrotherJ

Elite
Reaction score
Good advice in this thread - my two cents: get familiar with the function of your firearm(s) and practice with them. Too many people buy something then stick it in the safe expecting they will know how to use it effectively when they get a massive adrenaline dump. Muscle memory needs to be trained. Sign up at a local range or gun store for a CCW class then after that maybe a few defensive gun classes. Stockpile some ammo (get cheap FMJ for practice and any decent defensive ammo) - I would also recommend a quick access safe to keep the kiddos safe but give you ready access in case of emergency. Learn the kids on 2A and firearm safety and teach them proper respect.

If someone were a first-time gun owner and needs the basics:
1. a 12g shotgun with various types of ammo (Mossberg has a two-barrel package which is cool) - stock up on buckshot, birdshot, and slugs - basically the do anything decent gun

2. a 9mm handgun (Glock, S&W, Ruger etc...) plenty of magazines and ammo.

3. an AR-15 in 5.56 of any make (PSA makes them cheap and reliable) plenty of magazines and ammo. Parts and ammo are readily available.

4. a semi-auto handgun or rifle in .22 - cheap practice and plinking for the kids

Deadhead

Elite
Reaction score
Good advice in this thread - my two cents: get familiar with the function of your firearm(s) and practice with them. Too many people buy something then stick it in the safe expecting they will know how to use it effectively when they get a massive adrenaline dump. Muscle memory needs to be trained. Sign up at a local range or gun store for a CCW class then after that maybe a few defensive gun classes. Stockpile some ammo (get cheap FMJ for practice and any decent defensive ammo) - I would also recommend a quick access safe to keep the kiddos safe but give you ready access in case of emergency. Learn the kids on 2A and firearm safety and teach them proper respect.

If someone were a first-time gun owner and needs the basics:
1. a 12g shotgun with various types of ammo (Mossberg has a two-barrel package which is cool) - stock up on buckshot, birdshot, and slugs - basically the do anything decent gun

2. a 9mm handgun (Glock, S&W, Ruger etc...) plenty of magazines and ammo.

3. an AR-15 in 5.56 of any make (PSA makes them cheap and reliable) plenty of magazines and ammo. Parts and ammo are readily available.

4. a semi-auto handgun or rifle in .22 - cheap practice and plinking for the kids

Good advice there...

Sicwun88

Reaction score
I grew up around guns,
Was always with my father from 4yrs old & up on hunting trips,
It was normal in our home to have guns in almost every corner of the house! The world is getting crazier by the minute!
I'm a firm believer in guns
And people think twice abt intruding on those who are armed!
But people tht have guns tht have no safety training or knowledge of firearms can be a problem within it's self, so take the nesasary steps to know wtf your doing!

chandy

Reaction score
if you end up going to a safety class look up some reviews cause i've heard people get some pretty bad classes before same for concealed carry

i'd say get a small hand gun u can keep with u at pretty much all times. i've done that since i was a young lad. get a concealed carry license as well so u bring it with u (legally)

and for anyone that has seen some bullshit about houses getting broke into and someone pulling a gun on the intruder. if you shoot. shoot to kill. generally in most states u will get out better from killing a dumb **** then shooting him in a non vital area.

like there was one case that i always remember. the dude shot him in the leg. the intruder then was able to sue him for "excessive force" but it was stated if he had shot and killed him it would have been totally different.

so at the very least look around or ask people. look at laws or other things that have happened in ur state

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I own a small Ruger 345, but I just bought a 20g shotty for the house. Gonna keep the Rug in my car. Dont really care for guns but have no prob using them.

Last edited:

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
All good an sound advice ty will take all of this into consideration and for sure educate the kids and wife by having them take a class at lleast my wife and the kids I will explkain too

Reaction score

Everything he said...

Reaction score
Memorize and practice the 4 rules of gun safety, and you will never have an accident.

1. Never point a gun at anything you do not want to destroy.

2. Always assume that every gun is loaded (and always check)

3. Never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

4. Always be 100% sure of your target amd what is behind it.