Strength: On cycle vs. Off cycle

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Totally anecdotal from my recent personal experince.

On cycle (1g test/1g deca)

vs

Cruise (300mg test + 50mg drol*)

on cycle I could squeez out 16% more reps and 5% more weight for my max effort squat set.

In other words, if my max squat set on cruise was 10@225 then on cycle I could manage 11.6@236.

Not much difference.

Today’s max effort set will take 3-4 days for DOMS to clear where as on cycle I would experince none at all.

On cycle my volume is much higher because I don’t have to factor in much recovery time.

*I am taking drol for appetite suppressed effects. I’ve never notice a strength gain and I’ve lost 2.5 pounds since starting it 10 days ago. I think the effects are likely negligible.

What’s been your experince?

Last edited:

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
I'll usually lose a small amount of strength but like you its more of a recovery issue.
I was about 6 months into cruising at 200 when the gyms closed and my strength was at/above where it was end of my previous blast.
but then I dont drop from 2 grams to 300mg lol ;)
Just saying I would imagine the strength loss would be more in that case.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
On: 800 Test 450 NPP
Strength rises steady. Appetite major increase, and recovery is the biggest benefit. Aggression is way up.as well, which probably contributes to the strength increases

Off: 200 Test
Strength doesn't fall off much at all. Fatigue sets in quicker on accessories. Little less aggression. Appetite hit or miss. Body weight still stays the same regardless. Recovery takes a small dip, but nothing too major.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
My data may not be great because I was dealing with lots of heath issues (non aas related) last winter.

But its its what I have to compare and it’s my best lifetime set.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
its been a while since ive gone from an on cycle bulk to cruising so i cant say in that regard, but i actually make good strength improvements on cruise dose going from cutting on cycle to a 250mg cruise.

Reactions: Jin

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
its been a while since ive gone from an on cycle bulk to cruising so i cant say in that regard, but i actually make good strength improvements on cruise dose going from cutting on cycle to a 250mg cruise.

also on those cruises my food goes way up which is why the strength goes up.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
you dont realize how strong these drugs are till u stop using them after a while of being on them..Im two different people on aas or off

Sicwun88

Reaction score
On: 800 Test 450 NPP
Strength rises steady. Appetite major increase, and recovery is the biggest benefit. Aggression is way up.as well, which probably contributes to the strength increases

Off: 200 Test
Strength doesn't fall off much at all. Fatigue sets in quicker on accessories. Little less aggression. Appetite hit or miss. Body weight still stays the same regardless. Recovery takes a small dip, but nothing too major.

Aggression always helps w strength!
Thank you Tren!!!!!!

Gabriel

Reaction score
On and strong as hell..off is so depressing..just talking about getting off and on TRT pisses me off..damn u Jin

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
My strength is much better on vs trt doses.

my $.02 is when I am on I am training for a competition for my programming is more aggressive and geared towards getting those bigger numbers. So it would be hard for me to say “it is all about the gear” vs it is more focused aggressive specific training and also taking higher doses of test/ deca/ drol

BrotherIron

Reaction score
My experience has been a greater discrepancy than 5% in my lifts that are 1RM or thereabouts.

I can recovery MUCH faster when "on" which allows me to train more often and therefore make greater strength gains. Also, the "boost" from being on is greater as well.

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
ON my first injectable cycle, and I didn't realize how bad my endogenous T was, largely stemming from years of abusing narcotics.
The same night of my first shot, my dick suddenly worked for the first time like it was supposed to in over a decade.
I'm never coming off.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
ON my first injectable cycle, and I didn't realize how bad my endogenous T was, largely stemming from years of abusing narcotics.
The same night of my first shot, my dick suddenly worked for the first time like it was supposed to in over a decade.
I'm never coming off.

Lmao... I was pretty fat and out of shape and my sex drive was up and down def a great side of using now my wife is the one turning me down.

As for your Jin's post you guys are way too balls deep into this lol all I know is when I am on I feel great in the gym more strength more endurance feel like I can keep knocking out work outs like nothing and pumps are crazy when I am only taking 300-500 test it is depressing AF but for sure strength goes up just started taking some anadrol and 2nd day already the weight I can pull 9-10 reps max im doing 13-14 and then raising the weight.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
My strength is much better on vs trt doses.

my $.02 is when I am on I am training for a competition for my programming is more aggressive and geared towards getting those bigger numbers. So it would be hard for me to say “it is all about the gear” vs it is more focused aggressive specific training and also taking higher doses of test/ deca/ drol

These are great points. A lot of things change closer to the meet. So, yeah the drugs help, but there are a lot of other factors that play into the strength increases.

DOOM

Reaction score
My mind - muscle connection is much stronger OFF cycle and on a TRT dose of test 180mg wk. Meaning I have much more focus! Yeah maybe the strength retention isn’t quite as good but I still hold on too about 85% of my strength output.

Sometimes certain gear can hinder performance with sore joints, high blood pressure, lethargy and back pumps.

Last edited:

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
My mind - muscle connection is much stronger OFF cycle and on a TRT dose of test 180mg wk. Meaning I have much more focus! Yeah maybe the strength retention isn’t quite as good but I still hold on too about 85% of my strength output.

Sometimes certain gear can hinder performance with sore joints, high blood pressure, lethargy and back pumps.

This is the second time I’ve heard u talk about ‘back pumps.’
Can u elaborate please?

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
When I’m on the drugs kick in hard. My strength goes up so fast I have to be careful i don’t tear or pull anything. Cruise gains still come, but definitely not like when on.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm probably the worst to weigh in on this because I don't fit the average lifter but here we go.

Strength increase is slight. Factoring in where I would be without gear is hard to quantify but all things equal, the 5-7% is fair. I do seem to get more size and a finished look from gear compared to strength increase. As for recovery time, I'm on the outside looking in here also. I hear it all the time, how guys don't get as sore and feel recovered quicker, I see no difference.

I think guys who are more advanced will find less from their cycle as opposed to just TRT/cruise compared to someone less advanced. I can say this, all the gear in the world will not at his point get me to where I was previously before ever trying AAS but that's a factor of age.

Big Mikey

Reaction score
Back when I used gear (Usually the typical decca with test combination w estrogen blocker to hedge side effects.) My gains would have been considered moderate. I'm not a fast grower to begin with & I dosed on the lowish side to hedge my blood pressure, which went through the ceiling on higher doses. In between cycles I dosed 200 mg of testosterone ethanatete. It was quite easy to maintain most of my gains & stay lean on that rotating cycle. My tagline with gear was "just a dab will do ya" I was never looking to be the next Jay Cutler back then.

New Threads