L-Glutamine

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
The following excerpts about L-Glutamine were pretty interesting...

The Benefits Of L-Glutamine

Are you supplementing L-Glutamine? If not, maybe you should consider it after reading the following benefits. Glutamine is a carbon and nitrogen donor and helps restore glycogen which restores energy. Glutamine is the most important component of muscle protein, and helps repair and build muscle. Here's a list of glutamine benefits:

• Glutamine has been linked to protein synthesis. It prevents your muscle from being catabolized (eaten up) in order to provide Glutamine for other cells in the body.
  • Glutamine benefits you by replenishing declining Glutamine levels during intense workouts.
  • Glutamine may serve to boost your immune system. For bodybuilders, this is important since heavy workouts tend to greatly deplete Glutamine levels. (Glutamine is a primary energy source for your immune system.)
  • Glutamine is one of the most important nutrients for your intestines.

Researchers are suggesting that Glutamine is the most important amino acid to the bodybuilder. It provides a component in muscle metabolism and cellular support not shared by any other single amino acid, making the benefits of L-Glutamine supplementation a realistic venture.

Promotes muscle growth and decreases muscle wasting

Whether your goal is to increase athletic performance, boost metabolism, improve recovery or even build muscle, research shows that L-glutamine can significantly aid your efforts. During an intense workout, your body becomes stressed and your muscles and tendons require more glutamine than the amount supplied by a normal diet.

So, after an intense workout, the levels of cellular glutamine can drop by 50 percent and plasma levels by 30 percent! This muscle-wasting state is a gateway for the body to use your muscle for energy rather than carbohydrates. But glutamine can prevent this from happening.

Supplementing with L-glutamine allows your muscles to fight and push a bit further, which boosts your strength and helps repair your skeletal muscles. A study found that glutamine supplementation makes it possible to recover quicker from intense weight training sessions because it improves muscle hydration. This aids the muscle recovery process and reduces recovery time for wounds and burns. It’s why glutamine supplementation is not only common for bodybuilders in the bodybuilding industry, but in nearly every athletic pursuit these days.

Replenishing glutamine levels after an intense session could take up to five days, so it is important to take it on a regular basis if you are doing intense exercise. Some bodybuilders say that glutamine works best when combined with certain brained chain amino acids (BCAAs), especially leucine. Others consume it post-workout with creatine in order to try to improve muscle recovery and restore the body’s energy stores.

Improves athletic performance and recovery from endurance exercise

One of L-glutamine’s main roles in the body is to support detoxification by cleansing the body from high levels of ammonia. It acts as a buffer and converts excess ammonia into other amino acids, amino sugars and urea.

Doing approximately one hour of exercise can cause a 40 percent reduction of glutamine in the body. It can also cause suppressed immune function. This has a negative impact on your resistance training and may lead to overtraining syndrome.

L-glutamine benefits long distance athletes as well by boosting the immune system (T-helper cells). Animal studies have indicated that this increase in T-helper cells may reduce the ‘stresses’ associated with overtraining syndrome.

Burns fat and improves diabetes

Research has indicated that HGH levels are up by nearly 400 percent after glutamine supplementation. This hormonal response leads to an increase in resting metabolic rate and improves the after-burn effect or EPOC post-exercise. This afterburn effect is essential for burning fat, weight loss and building lean muscle mass.

L-glutamine also burns fat and builds lean muscle mass by helping suppress insulin levels and stabilize blood glucose. This enables the body to use up less muscle mass to maintain blood sugar and insulin sensitivity in the cells. In fact, six weeks of supplementation with 30 grams per day of glutamine powder “markedly improved some cardiovascular risk factors, as well as body composition, in patients with type 2 diabetes.” For this reason, L-glutamine benefits diabetics and those with sugar and carb cravings as well.

Glutamine And Growth Hormone

Finally, the last way in which glutamine may be beneficial to you is with increasing growth hormone levels in the body.

Growth hormone is one of the primary hormones that is involved with synthesizing new muscle mass, so doing what you can to maximize it is one very good way to see better results from your muscle-building workout program.

Researchers from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition noted that after two grams of oral glutamine were administered to nine healthy subjects, ninety minutes after taking the supplement the subjects showed increased circulating levels of plasma growth hormone and plasma bicarbonate.

While the differences may not be extremely significant, every little bit will help promote your muscle-building efforts, so it is worth giving some consideration to.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/the-benefits-of-glutamine.html
https://draxe.com/nutrition/l-glutamine-benefits-side-effects-dosage/
https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/how-glutamine-benefits-training.htm

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Thanks good information,
I've used L glutimine time to time,
Never experienced anything noticable?

Last edited:

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
Thanks good information,
I've used L glutimine time to time,
Never experienced anything noticable?

Thank you. I take it mid-workout along with EAAs. Since it takes 90 minutes, I'm usually done with my workout and drinking my protein shake by that time. The parts I find really interesting are HGH and that it stabilizes glucose sort of like a GDA. Currently taking Berberine and was looking at GDAs but maybe I am good on glucose.

Reaction score
Animal proteins are rich in glutamine, so if you're eating enough protein you are probably already getting enough glutamine.

I have supplemented with pure glutamine before and never noticed a difference. My guess is because I was already getting enough through my diet.

Nowadays I focus on eating more for recovery, rather than aminos - the aminos are in the food.

New Threads