Beard care

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
What do you guys do to take care of and maintain your beards? Products, washing frequency, etc?

Up until now I was only using bar soap to clean it but it's been dry to the point of becoming fairly brittle and I'd like to try to take better care of it since it's the only hair on my head. lol

Cslogger515

Reaction score
Normal hair conditioner or one of those specific beard conditioners?
I'm a cheap f***** so I just use regular hair conditioner. I doubt there's much of a difference anyways just prices.

Massacre

Reaction score
When I had my huge ass Fidel Castro beard I was using CREMO beard balm and beard oil to keep it looking good. It's pretty cheap and can be purchased at Target.

Reaction score
Cremo is also my go to. I wash it every two days with my regular shampoo and a beard conditioner and every day I’ll blow dry it, comb it out then brush it and then throw some oil in. I don’t usually mess with balm.

Find a good barber that knows how to trim beards to keep it clean. The way I see it is I wouldn’t cut my own hair so why would I trim my own beard. I’ll mess around and have to shave it off.

Robdjents

Ski bum
Reaction score
If you have course hair get you some oil and butter...there are tons of products... if you are real dry and overly course get products designed for black men they work the best..if your hair isnt real course then any beard oil will do

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
to be fair I never grow mine long so don't listen to me

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
When I had my huge ass Fidel Castro beard I was using CREMO beard balm and beard oil to keep it looking good. It's pretty cheap and can be purchased at Target.

I was looking at exactly that brand today. Good to know it's available at target too, I may wind up making a trip after work.

How often and when did you apply each?

Also, hiding the ugly is a part of getting the gf going. It's both. lol

Last edited:

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Mountaineer beard wax $10 at Walmart

I use it differently than most. I put it on in the shower x3 per week and rinse it out. There is still enough on my beard to shape when I dry off.

Careful, Some conditioners will actually dry out your beard. I like Suave cheap and easy.

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
Mountaineer beard wax $10 at Walmart

I use it differently than most. I put it on in the shower x3 per week and rinse it out. There is still enough on my beard to shape when I dry off.

Careful, Some conditioners will actually dry out your beard. I like Suave cheap and easy.

Heck yeah, great info.

Do you know what ingredient(s) specifically to avoid in a normal conditioner?

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Heck yeah, great info.

Do you know what ingredient(s) specifically to avoid in a normal conditioner?

No unfortunately, Trial and error is my only experience. My better half buys high end shampoo and that stuff tends To dry me out.

Zig will hopefully chime in he’s the beard guru IMO maybe he knows

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
Get a short semi-stiff brush, like a fingernail brush, and use that once every few days in the shower to scrub the skin under the beard. Keeps it from building up and causing beard dandruff.
that’s the beat advice I have, other than stop using bar soap lol.

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
Get a short semi-stiff brush, like a fingernail brush, and use that once every few days in the shower to scrub the skin under the beard. Keeps it from building up and causing beard dandruff.
that’s the beat advice I have, other than stop using bar soap lol.

Good idea. I've been doing some reading on beard care and it seems like natural bristles are the best. You're also right, I've been doing just about every single thing wrong. Better late then never I suppose and unlike the hair on my head, the beard will continue to grow lol.
I think I'll take a swing out to Target tonight after work and see what they have to offer. Walmart doesn't seem to carry much on the shelf.

BGH, I did some reading on the chems to avoid and it looks like sulfates or triclosan are the big two. They seem to have a drying/thinning effect and that just ain't going to fly.

Last edited:

RustyShackelford

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I wash my beard everyday with the shampoo conditioner combo I use on my hair, then I use the cheap suave conditioner after.
I use oils from texas beard company. I seem to like their products the best so far. I dry mine with a hair dryer as well to help it stay fairly straight. I probably use the oil every other day and I use a clubman beard balm to keep the shape in check.

New Threads