filtration question

Reaction score
So Bigmills and jstarks are the only people who touched on the capsule filtration process using a perilsatic pump. They said that the Whatman Polycap 36 AS Nylon was the best or the Pall Acropak 200. The thing is the whatman Polycap 36 AS nylon is hydrophilic which supposedly your not supposed to use supposed to use hydrophobic for oil based and the other one they recommended are all PES which are supposed to breakdown and degrade using ba and bb. So im trying to figure out if the nylon hydrophilic polycaps are ok or were the ones they were using back then different than what's available now.

Reactions: Jin
Reaction score
So Bigmills and jstarks are the only people who touched on the capsule filtration process using a perilsatic pump. They said that the Whatman Polycap 36 AS Nylon was the best or the Pall Acropak 200. The thing is the whatman Polycap 36 AS nylon is hydrophilic which supposedly your not supposed to use supposed to use hydrophobic for oil based and the other one they recommended are all PES which are supposed to breakdown and degrade using ba and bb. So im trying to figure out if the nylon hydrophilic polycaps are ok or were the ones they were using back then different than what's available now.
Nah brother probably the pollycaps out right now, if it's the 36 AS are all nylon hydrophilic.

Also I think you mistyped for meeting mistake when you said " the pollycap 36AS all hydrophilic, but you're not supposed to use hydrophobic to filter oil'.

Yes technically you're not supposed to use a hydrophobic filter. Well it's not that you're not supposed to but they're better they say their better for filtering gas, but they actually work better than hydrophilic when it comes to filtering oil. Hydrophobic also will not break down when filtering BA, and BB.

Another thing is the Pall Acropack has a hydrophobic filter in it, abd you can get it with a PVDF hydrophobic. Which is what I recommend. Also they come in 500, 1000 and 1500 as well as the 200 that you listed above.

Reaction score
First thank you for the quick response. And yes I mistyped meant to say I thought you weren't supposed to use a hydrophilic filter to filter oil. Ok so what exactly is the best and most efficient filter to use right now? Can you give me a part number? So using the whatman polycaps are out off the question now as they are all hydrophilic? Also what peristaltic pump should I buy. Im not worried about spending the money I just want something effective that's going to last.

if you look closely at the filters you mentioned in this link they are all hydrophilic even the one with the pvdf membrane and prefilter.
View attachment 10074

Reaction score
First thank you for the quick response. And yes I mistyped meant to say I thought you weren't supposed to use a hydrophilic filter to filter oil. Ok so what exactly is the best and most efficient filter to use right now? Can you give me a part number? So using the whatman polycaps are out off the question now as they are all hydrophilic? Also what peristaltic pump should I buy. Im not worried about spending the money I just want something effective that's going to last.

if you look closely at the filters you mentioned in this link they are all hydrophilic even the one with the pvdf membrane and prefilter.
View attachment 10074
The best filter out there, and the best bang for your buck is the Whatman polycap 36 as.

You can easily filter 10000ml through one of these.

https://www.medical-and-lab-supplies.com/whatman-polycap-36-as-22um-filter-with-filling-bell.html

As far as a pump goes, go on eBay and type in BT300M...

Reaction score
Thank you for the link! are you aware that this filter is hydrophilic??? Scroll down once you open link and it list features which includes that its hydrophilic and used for aqueous solutions.

Reaction score
I am assuming AS stands for aqueous solutions the more I thinking about it.

Reaction score
Thank you for the link! are you aware that this filter is hydrophilic??? Scroll down once you open link and it list features which includes that its hydrophilic and used for aqueous solutions.
Lol. Yes I know it's hydrophilic. It's nylon witch only comes in hydrophilic..

Reaction score
Sorry I guess I was just confused because above you said hydrophobic was better and then in the next post you were saying the best filter was the 36 as which is like you said hydrophilic. Please excuse my ignorance here as I haven't been at this probably near as long as you. I spent over 300 dollars on 50 whatman .2 PTFE filter membranes not to mention an glass Buchner setup that cost me over 300 just for the glass and clamp and its terrible. Took 30 min to filter 40 ml with a 3cfu vacuum. So im just trying to make sure im getting the right stuff this time. So the link you sent me for the 36 as from med lab is the exact one I need to order correct? I just remembered you saying something in a previous post a year or 2 ago something about a filling bell. Do all of these or the part number in the link you sent me have the filling bell with it? Thanks again for your help man

Reaction score
Ok a just ordered a few of the capsules you sent me a link for. I also found the bt300m on eBay. do I need to order anything else for the pump? tubing? etc? if so what size tubing? does it have to be able to withstand solvents? I have various size hybex glass media bottles already.

Reaction score
also it looks like the power cord is setup for a 220 connection instead of a regular 3 prong for 120 volt that is used in the US.

Reaction score
ok im fixing to pull the trigger on the peristaltic pump. The lady is telling me the bt600m with the 2515 head is better for vicious liquids. im talking directly with manufacturer so price of 600 model is still only $550 plus 110 shipping. tubing sizes for 2515 are #15 and #24 should these connect to the whatman capsule filters you recommended?

Reaction score
Do you run your your bt300m at full speed? starting to wonder if the 600 model will create too much pressure for the Polycap filter. I mean I know I could just turn down the rpm but no need to get the 600 if your not even able to run the 300 at full before pressure is too high

Reaction score
Do you run your your bt300m at full speed? starting to wonder if the 600 model will create too much pressure for the Polycap filter. I mean I know I could just turn down the rpm but no need to get the 600 if your not even able to run the 300 at full before pressure is too high
PM sent

New Threads