For quite a while I've been on a 2 day split, twice a week program, so like
day 1 - chest/should/legs
day 2 - Back/bi/tri
day 3 - rest
day 4 - chest/should/legs
day 5 - Back/bi/tri
day 6 - rest
day 7 - rest
So that gives me 2 days rest in between bp's during the week and then 3 days rest between bp's at the end. Sometimes I'll feel like I need another day to recover so I take an extra day rest in the middle and sometimes I'll say screw it and workout anyway. But most of the time I seem to have a stronger workout if I just stick to the 2 day rest, even though I might not feel like I'm quite ready. And then if I do take the extra day the workout sucks even though I feel better. It's kind of the same with the 3 day rest at the end. Sometimes I'll skip one of those rest days and have a killer workout.
Anyone else experience better workouts with less rest or when not feeling optimally recovered?

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
yea it might seem that way til you keep track of the variables like amount/quality of sleep, calorie intake, carb intake, was your workday chill or fukked, was the last workout not that taxing, etc etc.

dragon1952

Elite
Reaction score
yea it might seem that way til you keep track of the variables like amount/quality of sleep, calorie intake, carb intake, was your workday chill or fukked, was the last workout not that taxing, etc etc.

Well if it was more random I might accept that as a likely reason but it sure seems to happen way more often than not.

dragon1952

Elite
Reaction score
To address the variables, my diet is nearly identical every day and I'm retired so every day is pretty chill, workouts are sometimes more taxing and sleep quality definitely varies. Maybe I need to start keeping a sleep log.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
If it works, it works.

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Different things work for different people!

New Threads