Rest days are the best days

Ozymandias

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

So I've experimented with a lot of different training splits but throughout the years of trying different structures, I don't think I could conclusively tell you how many rest days are ideal for me to fully recover.
To that end, I've also tried not doing any rest days and instead just counting days that I don't train a specific muscle as a rest day for that specific muscle. With this method, I've tried a split where I would train six days a week, doing a different muscle group each day of the week. and resting on the seventh (divine equivocation intended).
Right now I'm on a '2 days on, 1 day off' split, training a different muscle group each time. Just experimenting with it but I'm worried it's not optimal for training frequency.

My question is then, how many days of full rest a week are actually necessary? What are y'alls experiences with "optimal" rest days per week and do you have any bodily cues that you listen to (maybe other than soreness) as an indicator for recovery?

Excited to hear from you all!

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I need one day where I dont step foot in the gym.

Another “rest” day is cardio only.

5 days of resistance training is plenty for me. PPL rotated.

Tomorrow is completely off and I am ready to do no exercise!

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
For me, what I NEED definitely changes based upon if I'm in a calorie surplus/deficit and if I'm on just TRT vs some extra goodies.

That being said, my work schedule is such that I usually get 4-5 workouts in per week.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
5 days resistance training 6 days 5 mile walk per day and one day of nothing

Sicwun88

Reaction score
One day off when on a cycle is usually all I need since I seem to recover quickly,but if I need to days off I take it!
Over years of training you learn to know what works for you as an individual! Same w exercises!

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
"Recent research shows that when performing multi-set routines, greater than 72 hours may be necessary before training the same muscle group to allow for sufficient muscle repair." - Brad Schoenfeld

Probably different for everyone though.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Probably different for everyone though.

And for how much damage you cause. 3 sets will cause less damage than 10 sers of the same exercise, and some exercises just cause more damage than others, such as RDLs vs Leg Curls.

Reaction score
The trainers I've worked with both recommended 1 rest day a week where I do nothing, not even cardio.

Ideally I lift the other 6 days a week, but I listen to my body too and if I accidentally overtrain and am sore all over, I will take an unscheduled rest day.

My routine right now is a 5 day / 1 rest day rotation, and I kind of like it. It also gives me room to take an extra rest day if I need it or to catch up on life's responsibilities.

Rot-Iron66

Elite
Reaction score
I was doing 6 days a week in gym, with SUN being rest day.
Then yesterday and today (and SUN) I did, and I am skipping my workouts, listening to my hurting skeleton and ligaments.
A well needed 3 days of rest to recharge. Always a good thing... Still doing my daily 30 minute walk around the hilly neighborhood roads...

Attachments

• workout.JPG
    workout.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 59

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
It's all going to vary from one person to the next, it's also going to change for the same person over time and depending on training, eating and sleeping. It's also going to vary depending on what's going on outside of the gym. Probably not quite the answer you're looking for, but listen to your body. Optimal use of rest days comes from experience. Over time you'll figure it out. Everybody would love to just plug into the perfect formula for diet, training and rest, but it just doesn't work that way.

I personally don't stick to a standard set days on/off routine. I have a set training split and rest days are as needed. Sometimes that's 2 days on then a day off, sometimes it's six straight days on. It's foolish to take a day off when you're up for training just because you're "supposed to", just like its foolish to train when a day off is needed just because your "supposed to".

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
My rest days change as much as every week and vary from 1 to 4 days off. I have even skipped a week when I felt my body telling me so.

All the research in the world isn't going to mean shit when it comes to days off and what your body needs in terms of rest at any given time.

Once you learn to listen to your body, you wont have to ask this question. It takes time but everyone who stays in the game long enough learns what works for them.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
The trainers I've worked with both recommended 1 rest day a week where I do nothing, not even cardio.

Ideally I lift the other 6 days a week, but I listen to my body too and if I accidentally overtrain and am sore all over, I will take an unscheduled rest day.

My routine right now is a 5 day / 1 rest day rotation, and I kind of like it. It also gives me room to take an extra rest day if I need it or to catch up on life's responsibilities.

I usually get 6 days a week as well, this week with everything going on I missed 3 days so have to finish strong today and tomorrow. Get where you coming from with the room for extra days off first week like this I have had in a while that did not involve an injury.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
It depends on how hard you train and how much cns fatigue you accumulate. Are you doing big compound movements like dead’s and squats. How many sets are done to true failure, how many sets are using intensifier techniques to push beyond failure etc. someone who always stop 1-2 reps short of failure every set can train more frequent then someone who does doggcrapp training properly. Personally for me I don’t like to train more then two days in a row. I can make 3 work if my schedule needs it but I feel absolutely beat and run down when that happens.

currently I’m considering beginning a 4 days a week program M W F Sat

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
I ride the bicycle three or four days a week (6 hours weekly average) and walk treadmill three days a week (1 hour weekly average.)
I’ve been training hard to get my power and endurance up on the bicycle so I’m only lifting four days a week lately.

Gabriel

Reaction score
Depends on compounds too..Drol..you can't over train.. personally I find that every 4 to 6 weeks of heavy training,a wk off does wonders..I know this due to an injury years ago and hadn't to take 2 weeks off..when I returned I was stronger than before...over training

BrotherIron

Reaction score
And for how much damage you cause. 3 sets will cause less damage than 10 sers of the same exercise, and some exercises just cause more damage than others, such as RDLs vs Leg Curls.

And also the intensity you train. If you're doing 60% of 1RM that isn't nearly as tough on the body as doing 85% of 1RM or greater.

Reactions: CJ

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
Doing 10 reps per set at 77% of my one rep max.

I have just been listening to my body lately which tells me I need 3 things right now:

1. More weight.
2. More variety.
3. More recovery time.

Planning to do a cutting phase in the near future.

Gabriel

Reaction score
All this math...70% of max× 2÷4=WTF . muscle failure is where you what to be..And 3 sets of whatever doesn't do it..Yeah everybody is different but the goal is the same...Growth...

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
I take 2 days off a week, set in stone.. if my form suddenly starts to go to shit, I Deload. In peak training going into a meet, I take the last 10 days off with only BW exercises and stretching.

New Threads