Digestive Enzymes-Thoughts and Experiences

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm thinking ahead to the fall, when it's time to add some weight again. I believe that one of my issues is that when I really try to up the volume of food, my digestion is the limiting factor.

I say this because I'll sometimes notice oil in my bowel movements, and occasionally just generally sloppy bowel movements, for lack of a better term.

I'm thinking the digestive enzymes might help with the sheer volume of food that I'll end up eating. Every little bit helps.

Anyone ever use them?

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yea, Mate. During me last slin run, I was eating in excess of 4500 cals per day (bit more than my 3000-3500 normal) at a BW of just south of 112 kilos.

I'd get bad acid reflux at night, took up with some NOW brand digestive enzymes and that did the trick.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Yea, Mate. During me last slin run, I was eating in excess of 4500 cals per day (bit more than my 3000-3500 normal) at a BW of just south of 112 kilos.

I'd get bad acid reflux at night, took up with some NOW brand digestive enzymes and that did the trick.

Those are actually the ecact ones I ordered last night!

Did you take 1 per meal? Or some other schedule?

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Those are actually the ecact ones I ordered last night!

Did you take 1 per meal? Or some other schedule?

I took one capsule before my two largest meals of the day (one being post wo) and one at night before bed.

Reactions: CJ

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
Well...I was taking digestive enzymes and probiotics to get through the gas bloat from Now Sports Whey Protein Isolate.

These do the trick for me:

Meijer Plant-Based Digestive Enzymes VCap, 60 ct
Meijer Natural 35 Billion Probiotic Vegetarian Caps, 30 ct

Now that I am on a high quality protein powder I have no issues with or without them.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Well...I was taking digestive enzymes and probiotics to get through the gas bloat from Now Sports Whey Protein Isolate... .

That gives you bloat? I've been using that brand for years, no problems at all with it. I bought that because it was 100% whey isolate, no fillers at all. Other whey proteins don't bother you?

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
That gives you bloat? I've been using that brand for years, no problems at all with it. I bought that because it was 100% whey isolate, no fillers at all. Other whey proteins don't bother you?

Thats the only powder I cannot drink. Horrible gas. Unflavored, clear orange tub? Uggh.

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score

First started with some weird brand, was non gmo, expensive as hell for 2 lbs. No gas/bloat.

Then tried ON but figured out it had soy and other gmo. No gas/bloat.

Now Sports Whey Protein Isolate Creamy Chocolate uses Xylitol as sweetener which I think is what caused my gas/bloat issues.

Muscle Feast Grass Fed Hormone Free Whey Protein Isolate (Chocolate) is non gmo and clean as a whistle. Best I have ever tasted. Also no gas/bloat.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Hate to be the asshole but there is no evidence to back that probiotics actually helps your gut biome.

Reactions: Jin

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Hate to be the asshole but there is no evidence to back that probiotics actually helps your gut biome.

Those are something completely different, but I do eat a lot of sauerkraut and kimchi, and other cultured goods, like yogurt and kefir too, just in case. Those are foods though, so not a waste if there's no benefit to their probiotics.

Digestive enzymes are what break down and help your body digest and utilize the fats, proteins, carbohydrates fibers, lsscose, etc... that you eat. My thought process was that my body might not be able to handle it all on its own when eating to gain, since Ive experienced gastric distress during those times.

andy

Elite
Reaction score
SAN cultivate
there are good enzymes from NOW foods

Reaction score
I have had irritable bowel symptoms the past 20 or so years and I started Align probiotic daily the past few years, and I'm pretty much symptom free since. A GI doc suggested it to me.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Update:

The old lady and I have been experimenting with the digestive enzymes for a week or so now.

For me, my high fat breakfast is digesting better, no loose bowel movements post breakfast since starting them. I mainly got these to see if it helps with pushing the food volume over the winter, so jury is still out for me, but so far so good. .

For the lady, she says that feels better eating veggies and dairy now, which used to cause her bloat. Also, she's been having more regular bowel movements. She's a definite fan of them.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Update:

The old lady and I have been experimenting with the digestive enzymes for a week or so now.

For me, my high fat breakfast is digesting better, no loose bowel movements post breakfast since starting them. I mainly got these to see if it helps with pushing the food volume over the winter, so jury is still out for me, but so far so good. .

For the lady, she says that feels better eating veggies and dairy now, which used to cause her bloat. Also, she's been having more regular bowel movements. She's a definite fan of them.

Just to clarify: the old lady is a fan of regular bowel movements?

Sounds like my kind of lady.

Got any pics?

of what is coming out of her?

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Got any pics?

Asking the important questions.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score

Got any pics?

No pics necessary, think fun sized Tootsie Rolls. :32 (20):

Before, she'd go 3-4 days between movements. No idea where all that food goes, must've been packed tight full of shit.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
No pics necessary, think fun sized Tootsie Rolls. :32 (20):

Before, she'd go 3-4 days between movements. No idea where all that food goes, must've been packed tight full of shit.

If I went a single day without pooping I would be seriously worried.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
If I went a single day without pooping I would be seriously worried.

I'm with you.

I go 3-4 times per day, she's once every 3-4 days.

New Threads