The beauty of Shabbat.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
While we aren’t Jewish, my family and I have recently practiced a day of rest each week. Actually, Covid provided an opportunity for us all to take this day of rest as a family as we were all at less busy with daily schedules.

We spend a portion of our Saturday preparing:

Making the house clean and enjoyable to be in.
All meals prepared in advance.
All urgent business taken care of.

Saturday night the phone gets put in the drawer and (mostly) doesn’t come
back out until bedtime Sunday night.

On “Shabbat Sunday’s” we take time as a family to share all meals together, listen to music, read, read books to the kids, play games, go for a walk etc. The wife and I take time to enjoy our spiritual practices, which may be rushed during the week.

Nothing that would be considered work and hopefully no reason to leave the house.

No TV, screens etc.

We don’t do this out of any religious obligation, but we do find great wisdom in practicing a day of rest. During Covid it was weekly. Now it’s about twice a month.

As far as spiritual practices go this one has had a very positive impact on my well being and my families. And everyone looks forward to it.

And I don’t think you need to treat it as a spiritual practice to get benefit from it either.

Having a day off once a week from the stresses of life to reconnect with family, eat well and rest is a good practice for all IMHO.

In about 7 hours I’ll be putting my phone away so “Shabbat Shalom” to all you juice monkeys.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
I dont think things ever have to be looked at as religous practice even when they fall in line with them.
Sometimes thats what people need.
You can have the laws written in your soul without being a practicing "x religion".
I like this idea, sounds a lot like what we do minus putting the phones down.
Cool that you are always doing something to better yourself and your family brother, much respect.

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
While we aren’t Jewish, my family and I have recently practiced a day of rest each week. Actually, Covid provided an opportunity for us all to take this day of rest as a family as we were all at less busy with daily schedules.

On “Shabbat Sunday’s” we take time as a family to share all meals together, listen to music, read, read books to the kids, play games, go for a walk etc. The wife and I take time to enjoy our spiritual practices, which may be rushed during the week.

Nothing that would be considered work and hopefully no reason to leave the house.

No TV, screens etc.

We don’t do this out of any religious obligation, but we do find great wisdom in practicing a day of rest. During Covid it was weekly. Now it’s about twice a month.

As far as spiritual practices go this one has had a very positive impact on my well being and my families. And everyone looks forward to it.

And I don’t think you need to treat it as a spiritual practice to get benefit from it either.

Having a day off once a week from the stresses of life to reconnect with family, eat well and rest is a good practice for all IMHO.

In about 7 hours I’ll be putting my phone away so “Shabbat Shalom” to all you juice monkeys.

Interesting .

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
I dont think things ever have to be looked at as religous practice even when they fall in line with them.
Sometimes thats what people need.
You can have the laws written in your soul without being a practicing "x religion".
I like this idea, sounds a lot like what we do minus putting the phones down.
Cool that you are always doing something to better yourself and your family brother, much respect.

I agree . It doesn’t take religion - just common sense.

white ape

Elite
Reaction score
Enjoy your rest day. Sounds like a wonderful day with the family.

Reactions: Jin

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Sounds like the true meaning of...REST DAY!

DOOM

Reaction score

No TV, screens etc.

That sounds like a good way to spend some down time with the family. I know this sounds weird but I have a lot of Jewish and Jamaican friends and they shut down there business to celebrate the sabbath every Saturday. Orthodox Jews and Rastafarian have a lot of connections with both claiming to be Israelites decedents of the lost tribe.

Happy Shabbat brother!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jin

joeyirish777

Reaction score
spent some time in Israel with the IDF during their passover. they treated us punk Americans like family and showed us every inch of their religion... never been religious but it's definitely a beautiful practice.. and goddam who would have thought Israeli women would be so fine

BrotherJ

Elite
Reaction score
That's smart man - and anyone with kids would be wise to implement this as young as possible. I see a lot of kids these days are growing up with cell phones and electronic devices that are ruining their attention spans, ability to navigate the real world, and overall well-being. I've seen 12 year olds complaining about having the WIFI turned off at midnight because they can't stay up all night playing Xbox. Not only that the amount of cyber-bullying, drugs, and radicalization on social media is concerning too. The less "screen-time" for everyone is a good choice.

New Threads