Rotating 12hr shift and sleep/diet

Reaction score
The past five years I’ve been on a 12 rotating shift every two weeks. With sleep being an important part of the recovery process it can be difficult at times to get enough. Through a bit of trial and error over the past five years what I have found is weather days or nights if I keep my bed time consistent as in if I go to sleep around 8:30-9:00 pm to about 4:30-5 am or 7:30-8 am to about 3-4 pm my energy levels seem to stay average. My diet also stays pretty close to the same as far as eating times. For me it has been easier being a creature of habit to try and keep stuff the same. Has anyone else had experience with rotating shifts and keeping energy levels and motivation up with the different sleep schedules.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
You could try something like having 2 harder weeks of training the weeks you're on more of a normal shift, and the 2 weeks you're on the night shift have lighter/technique oriented sessions.

Just a thought.

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You could try something like having 2 harder weeks of training the weeks you're on more of a normal shift, and the 2 weeks you're on the night shift have lighter/technique oriented sessions.

Just a thought.
I'll second this advice.

Do you use melatonin or any other sleep aids?

Reaction score
Usually my night shifts I feel like I get better sleep durning the day weird I know but I can get 6hrs and feel fresh verses the same 6hrs at night and end up dragging most the day. Sleep aids only when needed mostly on my turnaround days 10mg melatonin. I do feel like my work outs when on nights are my more productive than the ones on days. Appreciate the advise of splitting the training up I hadn’t thought of doing that. I use a 5 day split since the reopening of the gyms I started a 4x12 for four weeks then a 4x8 for four weeks then a 4x4. Currently on the 4x8 part of the plan. It’s been legs chest back shoulders arms and I can tweak that rotation to hitting bigger groups on the days I feel fresher and hit shoulder arms on the not so fresh days.

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Usually my night shifts I feel like I get better sleep durning the day weird I know but I can get 6hrs and feel fresh verses the same 6hrs at night and end up dragging most the day. Sleep aids only when needed mostly on my turnaround days 10mg melatonin. I do feel like my work outs when on nights are my more productive than the ones on days. Appreciate the advise of splitting the training up I hadn’t thought of doing that. I use a 5 day split since the reopening of the gyms I started a 4x12 for four weeks then a 4x8 for four weeks then a 4x4. Currently on the 4x8 part of the plan. It’s been legs chest back shoulders arms and I can tweak that rotation to hitting bigger groups on the days I feel fresher and hit shoulder arms on the not so fresh days.

I agree w training larger muscle groups on days you feel more rested & do the smaller groups on the other days,
Best bet is to listen to your body!!!
Or you could always just quit your job!!!!

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Years ago I was facing rotating 12s so took a preemptive strike and volunteered/convinced the schedule to let me do straight nights. Worked a lot better for me. Nobody wants to work nights.

Reaction score
For sure straight nights would be awesome Bricks. And Sic only thing about quitting is the bills keep coming. But yeah I’m always keepin an eye out for better opportunities. I rotate back to nights this coming week so the training is usually better but will definitely try rotating my workouts based on how my body feels and post updates on how well it works out.

Boytoy

Elite
Reaction score
I worked on dredge for several years swing shift. My off day would be the half way point switching from days to night. Get off work then hit the gym. Just get in the routine of work gym sleep. Make a habit and just do it. Your routine would be the same no matter what hour of the day it is. Is what worked for myself

Reaction score
Update week in on the night shift rotated my work outs to hit the bigger groups on days with more rest/feeling good and results have been better than before where I would just grind it out on low energy levels. Also have seen better recovery in doing so. Thanks for everyone’s input on the subject.

silvereyes87

Elite
Reaction score
For 6 years I've worked 12s half the month nights. Half days and ive been told by the older vets that you never get used to it. I just do my best. 6 hours is optimum sleep for a shift worker. I was swinging 4 for years. But here lately I get home after gym. Spend time with my kid over dinner. And go straight to sleep. No TV no YouTube just straight in bed after i eat and shower

CantTouchThis

Reaction score
I've been doing 2 days (0700-1600) 2 lates (1400-2300) and 2 nights (2200-0700) and 4 off for years now. I find it hard switching my shift pattern between shifts but I always get 7 hours sleep as a minimum. Its not too troublesome if you get used to it and manage it but I always feel a little more fatigued in the gym after a shift at work compared to a normal day of doing errands and then going to the gym.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I never had to do this but admired the guys and gals that could pull it off. Its not just the time shift but the long hours and family stress. All that means you have to enjoy training to pull it off.

DOOM

Reaction score
I have been hustling two jobs for close too 15 years. The last 9 years my schedule has been crazy! Try to wrap your head around this.

Mon, Tues, Wed - 9:00 am - 6:00 pm

Thurs, Fri, Sat - 7:00 pm - 3:00 am

SUN -OFF

Obviously these are not the times that I wake up or go to bed.

I also have not eaten animal flesh 10 years so getting my diet down took a lot of time and research. I have literally been carrying food around with me everywhere I go for 10 years. I almost never eat out and I eat as clean as possible so I am able to eat as much as possible!

New Threads