Is the volume too low for a beginner-intermediate trainee?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
So, now that the information is whole, what do you guys think about the original question? Do you think 3-4 weekly sets are enough or not?

I'm checking because I got 2 conflicting responses and I'd like to confirm before tinkering with the program.

Thanks again! :)

I think you will make progress, especially because it seems like you'll be utilizing movements with a higher skill component to them. Practicing them 3+ times per week will hone those skills.

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
How is it possible somebody can only do 10 push-ups but knocks out 11 pull uups?

Reaction score
How is it possible somebody can only do 10 push-ups but knocks out 11 pull uups?

That was my bad. I just picked the exercises randomly. In reality those are assisted one-arm pushups and weighted chins.

Also, I can no longer edit the OP so I'm afraid it'll remain incorrect.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
No, it's not enough to create growth. Sorry but if you're looking to GROW on a muscular level it's not. If you're looking to maybe create a little definition with diet it's possible but you're not gonna grow with this especially it only being bodyweight. one pushup times 10? How the hell is that going to spark any growth?? Bodyweight squats? I dont understand why there is even any debate. Its ridiculous.

Reaction score
No, it's not enough to create growth. Sorry but if you're looking to GROW on a muscular level it's not. If you're looking to maybe create a little definition with diet it's possible but you're not gonna grow with this especially it only being bodyweight. one pushup times 10? How the hell is that going to spark any growth?? Bodyweight squats? I dont understand why there is even any debate. Its ridiculous.

Please read post #23.

As I said, I can't change the OP so I fear this misunderstanding will keep repeating itself.

If a moderator could edit the OP for me to reflect the changes we discussed I'd greatly appreciate it.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Please read post #23.

As I said, I can't change the OP so I fear this misunderstanding will keep repeating itself.

If a moderator could edit the OP for me to reflect the changes we discussed I'd greatly appreciate it.

Nope! You made your bed, now you lie in it!!! :32 (18):

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Please read post #23.

Ok heres my answer to #23. Still not nearly enough. Get your self some resistant bands and use them like a full workout 5-6 days a week and then the bodyweight exercises in addition

DOOM

Reaction score
You could also see what kind of response you can get out two a days. Its a great way to shock your muscles and stimulate growth and strength.

I would suggest adding more volume with additional reps/sets. I would definitely start with training eod. If you are not having issues with recovery then you can add another day or two.

Good luck!

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
If you can create enough muscular tension with body weight movements to hit true muscular failure then yes 4 sets can be enough. Especially if you do things like rest pause sets or cluster sets, I really like both a lot. My concern with your plan is things like pistol squats, things like stabilizer muscles will fail first instead of the actual muscles you are trying to grow, if you can get resistance bands, (elitefts makes great ones) this will help tremendously.

Reaction score
Ok heres my answer to #23. Still not nearly enough. Get your self some resistant bands and use them like a full workout 5-6 days a week and then the bodyweight exercises in addition
Point taken about frequency and volume.

However, I don't get why I need the bands. I can't do more than 12 reps on any of the exercises I mentioned. How will it benefit me to perform 4 assisted one-arm pushups w/bands instead of 8 assisted one-arm pushups?

If I wanted to make the one-arm pushups harder, why can't I just remove the "assisted" part instead of adding bands?

If you can create enough muscular tension with body weight movements to hit true muscular failure then yes 4 sets can be enough. Especially if you do things like rest pause sets or cluster sets, I really like both a lot. My concern with your plan is things like pistol squats, things like stabilizer muscles will fail first instead of the actual muscles you are trying to grow, if you can get resistance bands, (elitefts makes great ones) this will help tremendously.

I've thought about that, especially when it came to pistol squats. I don't think it's a problem though. If my perception doesn't fail me, I actually feel my quads getting tired instead of other muscles.

I think this is because I progressed toward the exercise in a reasonable manner. I started using boxes at first and started lowering the height until I didn't need it.

It's still an ongoing concern for me. I'd prefer replacing them with a bilateral exercise. I could really use the bands for that. I'll definitely try to buy some.

New Threads