Clothing Advice

Rigorhead

Reaction score
I have a dilemma. Probably like most of you, I have a big chest/back and small waist, which makes buying clothes difficult. I have approximately a 45" chest and 35" waist. I don't have a super crazy V-taper, but definitely more than average.
I'm around 19-20% body fat, and carry some fat on my chest, so a shirt that fits tight across my chest reveals a tiny bit of man-boobage. I typically try to remedy this by wearing an XL shirt with some type of print on the front. This kinda breaks up the shape of my pecs.
Do any of you folks have some recommendations for shirts that are bigger through the chest and smaller in the waist? I found that Nike sells some "athletic fit" shirts that fit the way I want, but they have so many different facilities around the world that make their products that it's hard to find the same fit shirts.
Thanks everyone!

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I prefer to wear loose clothing. Shirts are easy as getting a size up doesn't look bad and is much more comfortable. Pants use to be a lot tougher but now there are better choices with stretch pants. To each their own but seeing other dudes in tight clothing out and about looks ridridiculous. How is that comfortable? In the gym I don't see at as bad because of certain gym wear apparel

Just get a size larger

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
Apeman strong makes some nice quality shirts with big shoulders and smaller waist. It is jeans that are the issue with most. Carhart painter pants work for my legs, butt and having a smaller waistline.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Apeman strong makes some nice quality shirts with big shoulders and smaller waist. It is jeans that are the issue with most. Carhart painter pants work for my legs, butt and having a smaller waistline.

Hadn't seen Apeman before. Will check em out.

Cheers, Mate.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Apeman is mostly workout apparel. I've known about them but I guess you can wear their t shirts out and about.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
I just shop at big and tall and for certain things like suits I wind up buying 2 b/c it can be cheaper than getting one tailored.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Most shirts I have found that showcase a v-taper are going to be extremely unforgiving of any man boob-age. If you've found the nike athletic fit works for you, buy multiples in each color.

Different materials will make a difference too.

Pure cotton tee shirts fit a lot different than blends, which fit a lot different than synthetic materials.

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Monsta clothing sells nice cut tees in colors& sizes! Just bought some 3xs tht fit right for my size!

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I don’t get it. I’m 265 and regular XL clothes work for me just fine.

Wife bought me some L size black Calvin Klein undershirts because she thinks the XLs don’t show off my physique well enough.

I Must be doing something wrong.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm with Seeker on this one. Guys who sport a size smaller tshirt to look bigger look like sausages. I wear 3XL tshirts and they fit the way they're supposed to in the shoulders and are loose and comfortable. I wear 2XL shorts and sweats year round. For shorts and sweats I wear HTFU. That's my one guilty pleasure. Their quality is I credible but they are spendy. They make limited supplies and are currently sold out of most of their stuff. Good old California Crazy Wear makes good sweats, shorts, and Ts and their sizing guide is pretty much spot on.

Last edited:

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Wife bought me some L size black Calvin Klein undershirts because she thinks the XLs don’t show off my physique well enough.

Same here
Tshirts
Double weave cotton washed hot.

pants:
carharts for work
fancy carharts for play.

MS1605

Elite
Reaction score

Those black Calvin Klein shirts are literally 90% of my shirt wardrobe. I actually like the fit on them and they are pretty cheap for the quality. I have some that are still in rotation from 2012 with minimal fading.

Reactions: Jin

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
Same here
Tshirts
Double weave cotton washed hot.

pants:
carharts for work
fancy carharts for play.
Carhart shorts, and pants for work and play, 559 levis if on horse. Don't much give a shit about a shirt, like mentioned a size bigger works every time.

Gabriel

Reaction score
I have a set of shoulders and a 34 waist..found years ago to shop around to find some nice shirts that fit the top half and have them tailored..it isn't as expensive as people might think..however with the man boob problem it might look bad..Nothing beats a nice tailored dress shirt

956Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
XL Lululemon 5 year (v-neck) tee, they're nice enough to wear in public initially, then go the distance (approx 5 years) as a favorite gym shirt.

Reaction score
Nothing fits me like I want it to. Nothing else. Under armor is kind of cheap and really gone down hill anymore.
I only own Gymshark and Alphalete. They’re designed for us, by us.