Baseball and Strength training

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Very competitive baseball HS in my area. Just got their first strength training facility. There’s some interest in my coming to educate.

I have zero clue what baseball player should/do focus on. Anything they should avoid?

Any insights?

All these guys are probably new to it so I’d probably just focus on the big 3.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
They need to work explosive fast twitch muscles. Bodybuilding and training for sports are not even close to the same thing.

Pitchers need a complete arm care regimen.

Training should be based in blocks around the season - offseason with more of a strength and hypertrophy focus. Preseason with more conditioning and more and more time spent developing baseball skills, and in-season where you are pre-habbing, maintaining and rehabbing.

Also Rule #1 of training athletes - they are NEVER EVER EVER EVER to get hurt or injured while training for their sports. That is the fastest way for a S&C coach to get fired.

It's baseball so think lots of rotational work, rotator cuff work, lateral movement stuff, plyometric type movements, etc.

I specialize in training football players when it comes to sports. The baseball guys are even more specialized.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
They need to work explosive fast twitch muscles. Bodybuilding and training for sports are not even close to the same thing.

Pitchers need a complete arm care regimen.

Training should be based in blocks around the season - offseason with more of a strength and hypertrophy focus. Preseason with more conditioning and more and more time spent developing baseball skills, and in-season where you are pre-habbing, maintaining and rehabbing.

Also Rule #1 of training athletes - they are NEVER EVER EVER EVER to get hurt or injured while training for their sports. That is the fastest way for a S&C coach to get fired.

It's baseball so think lots of rotational work, rotator cuff work, lateral movement stuff, plyometric type movements, etc.

I specialize in training football players when it comes to sports. The baseball guys are even more specialized.

As I suspected, I’m completely unqualified. The question is still: am I the most qualified? It’s a very small town with a very good team that has never has a strength facility soooo....

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Except the job and then learn how to do it, I have done that numerous time’s

Definitely not a job. Just showing them the basics in the gym. Just don’t want to teach things that would impede their game or put them at risk for injury.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
paid or unpaid it’s still a job, you can learn as you teach. Like you say you might not be qualified but your the best they got. With your knowledge and one assistance from people on here with more experience you will be a great help to them

Definitely not a job. Just showing them the basics in the gym. Just don’t want to teach things that would impede their game or put them at risk for injury.

Reactions: Jin

Gabriel

Reaction score
That's a great opportunity for both you and them..share with them what you know..so what if you're not Mark Mc Juice.. concurrent training works with every sport gets them out-of-the-box...

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
Very competitive baseball HS in my area. Just got their first strength training facility. There’s some interest in my coming to educate.

I have zero clue what baseball player should/do focus on. Anything they should avoid?

Any insights?

All these guys are probably new to it so I’d probably just focus on the big 3.

There's a book I have by Human Kinetics called High-Performance Sports Conditioning, covers all well known sports, even baseball. It has some awesome drills in it.

Sicwun88

Reaction score
You know the basic format of training, I'm sure the rest will come naturally! Apply what you know,
Research what you don't!
Good luck!!!!

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
Like stated above, Cressey is your go to. Building an athlete is Much different than building a body. Your focus is mechanics, explosiveness and injury prevention. When it comes to hitting the gym for ball players, a lot of the basics deadlifts, squats, not so much if any pressing in season, lunging, core movements, rotation anti rotation and lots of different plyos. Different then what you’re used to but I believe you’re competent and will be able to help them out with a little research.

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
youd be a badass coach Jin

get in there and teach um how to lift weight

all that other fancy stuff can be taught as you research it

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Maybe they want you to be a mascot. Scaring the other team.

”who is the big white boy raising hell near the dug out.”

Youll be fine.

white ape

Elite
Reaction score
Ask yourself this first, would you enjoy working with these high schoolers? If yes, then do your research. Look at what makes them great as a baseball team and use strength training to enhance that.