Tyson V Jones Jr

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
Mike and Roy will lace up the gloves one more time on September 12th for an 8 round exhibition match.

This should be entertaining... my money is on RJ Jr...

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
Without google....Seriously? THE Mike T., and THE RJJ, wow!

SHRUGS

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I wonder if this is gonna be with larger gloves and headgear on.
!S!

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Wonder what weight Jones is walking around at. He looked pretty thick the last few times I saw him

mugzy

Administrator
Reaction score
Roy Jones had a couple of fights at heavyweight. That said I think if Tyson is even a shell of himself he will be too strong for Jones. While I put Roy right there with Sugar Ray Leonard and Floyd Mayweather as one of the greatest ever he got knocked out a lot at the end of his career and Tyson hits much harder than middle weights.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Tyson’s movement is extraordinary at the minute, Jones doesn’t look anywhere near as quick

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
I believe conditioning will be a huge factor here... did Mike smoke his lung capacity away yet? Can jones still move like 15 years ago? He better, Iron Mike still looks strong AF. I believe Jr.’s conditioning will prevail. only thing guaranteed though, is a big payday.

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score
Having been witness to Tyson's run in his prime, it's hard to discount him. I hope he's in a good place mentally and doesn't make a fool of himself.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This is embarrassing. Two of the best fighters of their era's doing some odd exhibition in their 50's. This doesn't make the sport look good or the fighters. I love both these guys but I have no desire to see two retired greats put on some spectacle in their 50s. To the average person out the ring they're both dangerous but whats the point of this? PPV and money? Ugh no thanks. I love Mike Tyson but this is ridiculous.

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
They are both greats who made the common mistake of fighting on too long past their primes. Their declines were painfully obvious even to armchair-quarterback type fans, and both lost to fighters they never should have. The difference imo was that Jones' losses were more brutal than Tyson's. Neither of them should be getting into a Ring at this point, but I think Jones is much more at risk than Tyson, and curse the promoters who lured them both back to make a buck.

Many, many fighters have paid a price for repeated brain damage as a job, but few are as well documented as Jerry Quarry, a very competent also-ran back when he, Ali, Frazier, Foreman, and a few others gave fans what has come to be called the Golden Age of Heavyweights. This is one of a few videos of him out of the Ring, before he died:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVOoDdRTAAM

El Gringo

Reaction score
Publicity stunt. Just a way to cash in one more time. Id rather watch Sly in another Rocky (and you’d have to pay me to sit through it)

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah im not sure it will be anything great, sure in their primes they would have killed each other, but today.... Brain hemorrhage and too many hits they aint used to and someone might get hurt badly....

Pride.... Its a hellva drug

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
This is embarrassing. Two of the best fighters of their era's doing some odd exhibition in their 50's. This doesn't make the sport look good or the fighters. I love both these guys but I have no desire to see two retired greats put on some spectacle in their 50s. To the average person out the ring they're both dangerous but whats the point of this? PPV and money? Ugh no thanks. I love Mike Tyson but this is ridiculous.

Exactly.

This will be as unentertaining as RJJ and McGreggor was.

The most disappointing part of this is how so many will fall for the hype that will likely include Tyson studying a thesaurus and using words he learned out of context and Roy Jones bragging about how much money he has....

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
Mike will gas out within a few rounds and get pummeled by Jones. In their primes a completely different viewpoint on my opinion. Kinda a shit show imo

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
Interesting... I have a feeling it may start off light, but turn into a war. It’s all part of a script... I predict a 2nd fight, this is a warmup for their bank accounts... the real payday will be the 2nd fight if they hype it just right.

New Threads