What age to consider starting your first cycle?

Reaction score
I’m 19 years old and have been bbing for two years so far and also do bjj and swimming often. And so far my question is that why are so many older users against young guys using when it’s obvious a lot of younger guys around 17-19 are using before 25 and before they’ve lifted for 5+ years?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Because that decision can affect you for the rest of your life. You may be on meds forever because you shut your body down. You might not be able to have children. These drugs also affect you mentally, not just physically, and if you're young, well your brain isn't fully developed yet.

It's not a decision made in isolation.

Ragingmenace223

Reaction score
I’m 19 years old and have been bbing for two years so far and also do bjj and swimming often. And so far my question is that why are so many older users against young guys using when it’s obvious a lot of younger guys around 17-19 are using before 25 and before they’ve lifted for 5+ years?
i was 24 when i did my first cycle already training for almost ten years and i wish i would of waited...peds are not something u just say hey i want to do.
you need to do a lot of research and know about your family health history.
if i could go back i wouldnt of started till my dr said i had low t...there are plenty of supplements that will boost your test. you just take them at nite...not expensive. dont work as well but i cant express enough that once you start it changes everything forever.... there are a million health risks if done the wrong way.
You are way to young and i know you dont want to hear this but i would start no earlier then mid to late 20s imo....im 40 now and i have to use them forever now and you dont know how sensitive to gyno you are so you may have more problems then me cause i dont have gyno or need anything to keep estrogen at bay.
PLEASE DONT TAKE THIS DECISION LIGHTLY!!!!!!!

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It’s a drug like any drug it has it’s ups and downs . It’s not about age it’s about your level of fitness and knowledge on how to use them correctly . I personally would rather use aas when I’m young strong and health then old

Ragingmenace223

Reaction score
It’s a drug like any drug it has it’s ups and downs . It’s not about age it’s about your level of fitness and knowledge on how to use them correctly . I personally would rather use aas when I’m young strong and health then old
to each their own but medically speaking hes to young...your prob like me and a knuckle head lol. but if your prone to balding have under lying health issues or a bad family health history not such a good idea. most people experience estrogen and balding ...i think im starting to now or maybe thats my age but all in all 19 is way to young on an overall basis

Ragingmenace223

Reaction score
old guys are against it because 99% of them started young and wish they didnt....

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
to each their own but medically speaking hes to young...your prob like me and a knuckle head lol. but if your prone to balding have under lying health issues or a bad family health history not such a good idea. most people experience estrogen and balding ...i think im starting to now or maybe thats my age but all in all 19 is way to young on an overall basis
I didn’t tell him to do anything ..I don’t see anything wrong with using aas in your 20s.. If u have health issues u shouldn’t use old or young

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It’s going to effect your life if u use it while your young or old .. you think aas won’t effect health if your old lol.. no it will

DOOM

Reaction score
I was 39 years old when I used my first anabolic compound. I do not regret not starting earlier then this.
It was perfect age for me!

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score
I think you'll get better advice if you tell us about your stats and training. You're looking for a green light it seems. Like Bundy said in my humble opinion it can be more about your level of knowledge and experience than your age.

Don't sleep on what CJ said. He is super informed on this shit. There is no turning back. No PCT will ever get you back to who you are now.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
I’m fine with people starting at 18 depending on what their ultimate goals are, level of knowledge. How “hard” but with proper intent they train, and how dedicated they are to the eating. 99% of people suck (even those that claim they are good on the diet) at the eating part and that’ll make you transform like crazy once you learn to eat for your goals rather then taste or desire.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
So first question is what are your ultimate goals?

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
You should wait until your mid-20s unless you have realistic ambitions to make money with your body (pro BB, athlete, etc). My answer is based on data surrounding both physical and mental development that I analyzed a few years ago.

The acts of other 18 year old gym bros should be completely irrelevant to you. It is not a smart way to be making decisions with potentially life-long consequences. And we live for a long ****ing time.

Sicwun88

Reaction score
I was 39 years old when I used my first anabolic compound. I do not regret not starting earlier then this.
It was perfect age for me!

Same here! I trained for 20yrs,
Got as big & strong as my natrual potential would allow,by doing so my results were insane! Be side at 19 you should have plenty of natrual testosterone flowing?
Unless you're competing or going to make alot of money?
I'd wait and see how far you're natrual potential Will take you!!!!

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Welcome to UG. Post up and make friend.

Rot-Iron66

Elite
Reaction score
I trained from 1978 to 2016 natty (38 yrs), jumped on TRT when I hit 50 four years ago.
Wish I did it a bit earlier, but dont do it too early, unless of course your test levels are girl-worthy.
Which seems to be the case these days w/ lots of young men. Its how things have evolved (or reverse evolved).

Find out your numbers, dont damage your natural test production, which can happen with AAS usage if not done properly.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I trained from 1978 to 2016 natty (38 yrs), jumped on TRT when I hit 50 four years ago.
Wish I did it a bit earlier....

Hold on Rot, just one second. I have heard this from a few long time natty guys and even said it myself. Sure we look back, see what we did and wonder what we would have look like or lifted had we jumped on the gear train at an early age. That is the question a long time dedicated natural lifter is left with. Conversely, the dude who starts gear in his mid-twenties has to ask himself what he could have done on his own without the gear.

AAS use is personal but for me, I'm good with knowing what I could do on my own without gear. The reality is, few guys will ever know what their natural potential really was. Don't sell your dedication to being natural short; it's rare in a world of "Here and now".

El Gringo

Reaction score
Preferably wait till you’re 25. If you love bodybuilding just as much or more as you do now then consider if you feel like you’re committed to 3 things for the rest of your life.

Giving 100% effort to every workout

staying on course with a strict diet

pinning a needle every week. (Eventually you’ll be on TRT or you’ll loose interest in bodybuilding when you start to notice you lose 90% of gains from your cycle during your time off)

Grego

Reaction score
Ok, you are 19 and you are considering prescribing yourself drugs. Not that you are but when i was 19, I did all sorts of drugs and made a royal mess of things and justified it all by saying I am functional, can hold a job and all the other justifications.
My experience also, if I lifted and ate right I grew like nobodies business almost until I was 30. My sons both are in the gym regularly, both in their early 30s and if they are eating , lifting and resting properly still have amazing results. We talk honestly about PEDs, they know I am on TRT, indecently, I did not start cycling prior to being prescribed by my GP. Thankfully they are still satisfied with remaining natural.

Takeaway, you are 19, I bet you have room to improve your lifting, nutrition and lifestyle outside the gym. focus on that because that is the rest of your life. A cycle lasts 14 weeks you might cycle once maybe twice a year? the risk to reward is slim, if you do not have the lifting, nutrition and rest dialed making the drugs are a waste and a risk.