If you don't squat what leg exercises do you perform

Sicwun88

Reaction score
I'm a firm believer tht the squat is the most important exercise there is,
You can't build a house without a soild foundation!!
For those tht don't squat or can't because of whatever reason or excuse,
What leg exercises do you perform???

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
If I couldn't squat, I'd do heavy leg presses and deep hack squats for the meat and potatoes exercises.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Was going to be a wise a$$ and say recumbent bike....

From a development of a good work ethic and an appreciation of how far you can push yourself without dying nothing beats squats.

From a thigh development and growth standpoint, however, I had found leg presses, hack squats, leg extensions, leg leg curl, stiff legged deadlifts, and super sets to work better for me.

Miss the ritual of squatting, but my thighs have developed better without them.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If I couldn't squat id be miserable. Kinda like DF miserable. Well, almost. No one can be that miserable. Leg presses and Bulgarian splits. I mean if you can use a hack squat then you probably can squat also

simplesteve

Elite
Reaction score
Heavy leg presses and heavy leg extensions,
Can't squat, no matter how little of weight I put on the bar bothy arms end up going completely numb within 30-45 seconds.
I had my wife on my shoulders last night and she only weighs 125# same thing happened.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Squatted always up until almost 2 years ago. Now I use a Hoist dual action leg press, hack squats, and extensions. I've gotten much better thigh development as well as no more knee pain. Also pound the abd/add machine as well. Yes I built a base from years of squats. Do I think you need to squat for great leg development? Absolutely not.

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
Been Barbell Squatless for a few yrs now. Not the knees, hips, or spine ... my shoulders don't like getting in position to get a good grip on the Bar. Still love the idea of Squats, still do all the usual substitutes, but you learn to let some things go in the 2nd half of Life.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
i think in bodybuilding terms, the squat is one of the most overrated exercises there it. For most people, either because structure reasons or mobility reasons, its just a shit movement for quads. Its one of those movements people think they need to do to be "hardcore" and they wear a badge of honor for doing them but they dont examine how much they are actually getting int terms of quad development from it.

In terms of quad development, its hard to beat the hack squat.
Pendulum squats and low stance leg presses are both great as well.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
If I couldn't squat in the traditional sense meaning a bar on my back, I'd perform squats with a belt squat machine. That would take the spinal compression out of the equation. I'll squat in some form or fashion and if I can't... I'll go play on the highway.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
If I couldn't squat in the traditional sense meaning a bar on my back, I'd perform squats with a belt squat machine. That would take the spinal compression out of the equation. I'll squat in some form or fashion and if I can't... I'll go play on the highway.

ive been doing the belt squat with squat wedges lately, loving the movement

El Gringo

Reaction score
i think in bodybuilding terms, the squat is one of the most overrated exercises there it. For most people, either because structure reasons or mobility reasons, its just a shit movement for quads. Its one of those movements people think they need to do to be "hardcore" and they wear a badge of honor for doing them but they dont examine how much they are actually getting int terms of quad development from it.

In terms of quad development, its hard to beat the hack squat.
Pendulum squats and low stance leg presses are both great as well.
I’ve always found squats to be a full body workout. My back gets just as much of a pump as my legs and the more I squeeze my back muscles, the lighter the weight feels.

for this reason I group back/legs together in my workouts

dragon1952

Elite
Reaction score
Squats were about the only exercise I was any good at early in my career and my quads were the only muscle group that seemed to grow at a decent rate. I remember getting comments like 'Do you lift weights? I can tell by your legs'. Actually it was a bit dejecting :^ / I couldn't afford supplements back then and I know I didn't eat enough but my legs grew anyway. I can't do them anymore so I do leg presses.

DOOM

Reaction score
I blew out knee snowboarding (un repaired) about about 15 years ago so I rarely squat with heavy weight. For me it’s more of a stabilizing core movement.

With that being said I am still able to go rather heavy on other leg movements. I can still hi rep heavy plated leg presses with my max being 26 plates 5 x 8

I also still go heavy with high reps on hammer strength standing calf raises. 5 x 8 390 lbs and leg extensions 5 x 12 250lbs

These coupled with some light dead lifting has been all I need to build strong veiny legs on a un repaired blown MCL and ACL

Bottom line you don’t need to squat heavy to have strong legs. ANything is possible if you work hard enough!

Thank god for scar tissue!

Reaction score
This has been a really educational thread for me. I like all the different viewpoints.

I integrated squats and deadlifts into my leg day last year after a trainer finally taught me how to do them. I was all about it for a while.

I think no matter what, I am going to try to keep 1 of those in my leg routine for the core training aspects involved in them. But yes, my knees are starting to feel it on squats cuz I'm an ole man.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
This has been a really educational thread for me. I like all the different viewpoints.

I integrated squats and deadlifts into my leg day last year after a trainer finally taught me how to do them. I was all about it for a while.

I think no matter what, I am going to try to keep 1 of those in my leg routine for the core training aspects involved in them. But yes, my knees are starting to feel it on squats cuz I'm an ole man.

Not cause you're an ol man. I bet you need to work on opening up your hips to keep forward knee travel to a minimal. Many raw squatters allow for A LOT of forward knee travel which causes strain to the knee and pain.

chandy

Reaction score
After I ducked up my knee and hip squats just don't feel right anymore even if I do a lunge something just feels pretty off. I just change out the squats for a few extra sets of leg press so ill start off light doing about 20 reps with about 300 lbs then ill go up to about 1-2 rep 1000ish pounds as a 8th or 9th set. Depending on how I feel and how long the rest times were between the sets

Not saying I am right in doing so many sets or working my way up that way. It is just an exercise that doesn't seem to bother my knee or hip so I add more to that.

Plus I've always seen/felt more progress with leg press.

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
I just started squatting again after 15 years. I can’t go heavy anymore due to Lumbar spondylitis and arthritis/a lack of cartilage in the knees, but I have to say that I feel better now at 42 than 32. I’ll keep squatting until I need knee replacements... then squat some ****ing more.

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
I will never dis the barbell squat. I don't however think that you need to squat 500 lbs to get your legs to grow. You can put on tremendous mass with 2 or 3 plates if you do the exercise correctly. Reps equal size on legs. Heavy squats involve the hips and ass way more than the quads.

9 out of 10 people who have excuses for why they don't barbell squat because of some back or knee issue are making it up.

Hacks squats are one of my favorite movements these days, now that I actually use the sled machine. This is a phenomenal mass builder for me.

I barbell squat sometimes. Sometimes, I don't want to work that hard. Honest answer.

New Threads