Eating every 3 hrs?

Sicwun88

Reaction score
How many believe & go by the eating every 3 hr rule?
I've been eating tht way for years,
More meals thru out the day,
Smaller portions!

andy

Elite
Reaction score
used to have 4 enormous meals(with the believe , more u eat bigger u get)

now I love to have 5 to 6 decent meals through(still hitting my calories for growth) the day and not stuffing my face with volumes of food like an ogre. Also I feel my midsection keeps tighter when I don't overeat in that one sitting. I believe I make it more easy on my stomach.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've known blokes who compete (BB) who would wake up in the night to down a protein shake.

For mere mortals who aren't looking to step on the stage, I don't think its necessary.

Hit yer macros and learn how yer body digests its food. If ye end up feeling bloated, thats too many calories in one setting & ye look to split 'em up into more smaller meals as Andy mentioned.

andy

Elite
Reaction score
I've known blokes who compete (BB) who would wake up in the night to down a protein shake.

I keep my isolate drink in fridge for the night just in case I get up to pee and feel hungry, but I don't put alarm for it. I think good sleep has more value.

But sometimes during prep I have to, just because I cannot fall asleep of how fking hungry i get sometimes before bed or in mid night.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I eat when I’m hungry.

Which is at least ever three hours.

Most nights I have a snack when I get up to piss.

I try not to over eat in one setting. That typically means no second helpings.

Reaction score
I am trying to get bigger right now, and the only time I go without eating more than 2 hours is while I'm asleep.

At night before I go to sleep I drink a casein protein shake. Casein protein is kind of like a slow release protein powder. I want to say it takes about 6 hours to absorb into the body?

I was told that it helps feed muscle recovery while you sleep, and there have been a few positive studies done on it.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/03/190306081832.htm
The downside to casein for me is that I have only found one flavor that I like, and that is the isopure cinnamon bun.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I am trying to get bigger right now, and the only time I go without eating more than 2 hours is while I'm asleep.

At night before I go to sleep I drink a casein protein shake. Casein protein is kind of like a slow release protein powder. I want to say it takes about 6 hours to absorb into the body?

I was told that it helps feed muscle recovery while you sleep, and there have been a few positive studies done on it.

The downside to casein for me is that I have only found one flavor that I like, and that is the isopure cinnamon bun.

ON cookies and cream. Mix it with almond milk with a little less liquid/powder ratio and it tastes/has the consistency of pudding.

metsfan4life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I eat when I’m hungry.

Which is at least ever three hours.

Most nights I have a snack when I get up to piss.

I try not to over eat in one setting. That typically means no second helpings.

exactly the same. sometimes i make it 3hrs sometimes i dont. if its only been like 2, might grab a small snack like apple or carrots. i wake up 2-3x to piss at night and typically will have a small snack - 1/2 pack of deli meat or carrots, or something

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score

You could try Greek yogurt, easy to flavor and it’s all casein protein. Load it up with fruit and nut butters or ground flax for extra calories

Reaction score
You could try Greek yogurt, easy to flavor and it’s all casein protein. Load it up with fruit and nut butters or ground flax for extra calories

I do the greek yogurt too, but I had no idea it was casein protein. Thanks for the tip!

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
I do the greek yogurt too, but I had no idea it was casein protein. Thanks for the tip!

yeah I’m not doing it anymore but my go to pre bed meal used to be plain 0% fat Greek yogurt, frozen raspberries, ground flax, raw quick oats, some sugar free jello pudding powder (usually cheesecake flavor), and then some almond milk to thin it out as it comes out super thick and then let it sit in the fridge for a little bit.

to the point of the topic. I eat 6 meals a day, typically don’t eat until about an hour after I wake up as I hydrate and do my mobility work first and then cook. 4 hour gap between pre and post workout meals. So I end up eating the rest of my meals every 2-2.5 hours.

dragon1952

Elite
Reaction score
I'm currently in a bulking cycle and find it hard to eat enough during the day. I make a huge shake before bed with around 80-100 protein grams of micellar casein and drink 1/3rd before bed and then the other 2/3rds a various times when I have to get up to pee.

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
I eat when hungry and its generally every 3 hours or so. Smaller meals because i don't like feeling stuffed. I eat 2 rice cakes with peanut butter when I get up around 2am to piss or a pop tart maybe..

Reaction score
yeah I’m not doing it anymore but my go to pre bed meal used to be plain 0% fat Greek yogurt, frozen raspberries, ground flax, raw quick oats, some sugar free jello pudding powder (usually cheesecake flavor), and then some almond milk to thin it out as it comes out super thick and then let it sit in the fridge for a little bit.

Wow, that honestly sounds amazing. I'm gonna try it.

sfw509

Reaction score
I'm not training as much for health reasons right now and eating every 3-ish hours. Smaller more frequent meals has helped me not gain weight, I'm never overly hungry, and still hit my macros. As others have suggested I'm eating a lot of cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, nuts, and jerky. It's honestly the first time I have eaten like this and I'm liking it.

New Threads