New Gal Intro...

chandy

Reaction score
Welcome to UGBB. glad to hear you are getting back after it. Just make sure you take it slow at first. Hope your lower back does get better

And I agree with whoever it was that said not moving and using the lower back is the worst thing to do if u injure it. Not as flexible over time so u are able to mess it up a lot easier later after u never got to strengthen it back up from being weak due to injury not including 15 years of working around it.

Best of luck getting back after it!

Way2freaky_Gal

Lady Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Cat, the name Bill Pearl doesn't get mentioned much on the boards, but that is because he was the unofficial King of bodybuilding before Arnold and the IFBB took over. The latter part of his career overlapped the early yrs of the IFBB Mr Olympia shows, but he preferred to remain independent. Prize money and endorsement money wasn't much in the old days, many stars owned a gym, as did Pearl. Many years later he claimed the book you cite was the biggest moneymaker of his career.

I noticed not much mention of BP here. That book was excellent, I’m so glad it was the first book I read on the subject. Up until I read that book, I had been exercising with horrible technique. I had no idea about breathing, grip placement, compound vs isolate, diet, etc. I think the only thing I was doing right was progressive resistance and my rep/set routine.

I read somewhere online recently that he still wakes at like 4am and works out with his wife and friends in his home gym in his barn. After seeing pics of him, it really impressed me how well he (and other folks from that era) aged.

I need to dig out the book and go over it again to see if I can pull any more info out of it for my current age/condition. I am a pear-shaped ectomorph so I certainly have a lot of work ahead of me, but I feel good about it.