Most underrated trait for success

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about motivation a lot recently;hearing people are finally motivated for a change, can't get motivated, relying something or someone to motivate them, etc, etc, etc.

Leads me to think that people may be waiting for it or think it's a prerequisite to success. I'm not going to argue that it's not important, but I will argue that it's emphasis casts a shadow on an equally, if not more important, trait: discipline.

Motivation is like a cup off coffee. It tastes good, it feels good,it "pumps" you up, but it's effects are also fleeting. Discipline is something that gets ingrained, is with you every day, and keeps you on track when the voice in your head tells you its okay to get off.

A little bit of a soap box, but when someone tells me they weren't motivated to workout I call BS. They weren't disciplined enough to workout.

</rant>

I'd be interested to hear everyone else's thoughts on this. As much as what we do is between the ears as it is with a barbell.

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
I agree completely.

Motivation is a tool but discipline is a lifestyle. It's the difference in waiting a wind to hopefully blow your sailboat in the right direction or being the captain of your own ship.

mugzy

Administrator
Reaction score
You can teach almost any skill to anybody however you cannot teach motivation.

To answer your questions most underrated trait :

SELF DISCIPINE - defined as the ability to do what you should do, when you should do it, whether you feel like it or not.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I’ll have to think about this. I be been disciplined enough to have workouts be part of my life style for 35 plus years. There have been time where I’ve been away for the gym for an extended period. Did I lack discipline or motivation? Hmmm

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
You can teach almost any skill to anybody however you cannot teach motivation.

To answer your questions most underrated trait :

SELF DISCIPINE - defined as the ability to do what you should do, when you should do it, whether you feel like it or not.

Dude is right self discipline because that allows you to show up where you have to where showing up is the biggest part of success and then executing when your there.

LOL I should be booking freight right now to be making more money buy I am here chatting on the forum. My self discipline got me to work on time but then let me down when it came to completing my tasks. Have to do it form start to finish just go hard until shits going great but thats difficult cause you get side tracked lazy bored, etc...

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
I’ll have to think about this. I be been disciplined enough to have workouts be part of my life style for 35 plus years. There have been time where I’ve been away for the gym for an extended period. Did I lack discipline or motivation? Hmmm

Maybe a little of both lol my brain started to hurt trying to figure that out.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
not being a psychopath

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score

I don't think you lacked either. Priorities change and there's nothing wrong with that.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
I'm not sure if discipline qualifies as "underrated". Most folks know that in order to achieve anything worthwhile in life they have to do certain things, consistently, over a long period of time. Now, the fact that most people don't have discipline is another story entirely.

For me, understanding the need to work smart, rather than work hard, is the most underrated trait. Bodybuilding is a great example here. You do NOT need to do insane amounts of cardio in order to lose fat or even be in contest shape. You do NOT need to beat yourself up to the point where you feel sore after each workout in order to gain some muscle. And on & on it goes.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Obligation is my precursor to motivation. I find sometimes if I just make an effort to do something, the rest falls in place.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if discipline qualifies as "underrated". Most folks know that in order to achieve anything worthwhile in life they have to do certain things, consistently, over a long period of time. Now, the fact that most people don't have discipline is another story entirely.

For me, understanding the need to work smart, rather than work hard, is the most underrated trait. Bodybuilding is a great example here. You do NOT need to do insane amounts of cardio in order to lose fat or even be in contest shape. You do NOT need to beat yourself up to the point where you feel sore after each workout in order to gain some muscle. And on & on it goes.

"Most" underrated may be a bit of an exaggeration. I'll blame on having to listen to someone to tell me how they weren't going to workout last night because they couldn't find the motivation (apparently they had been waiting for it to hit them all day, but it never came) though I'll still contend that it doesn't get the attention it deserves. I'm sure we've all had days when the lightning didn't strike, but we did worked out anyways.

As far as most underrated, I like where you went with it. A desire for understanding is so underrated that it usually doesn't even make it on the trait list. The follow-up question is how do you coach for that :)

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

"Most" underrated may be a bit of an exaggeration. I'll blame on having to listen to someone to tell me how they weren't going to workout last night because they couldn't find the motivation (apparently they had been waiting for it to hit them all day, but it never came) though I'll still contend that it doesn't get the attention it deserves. I'm sure we've all had days when the lightning didn't strike, but we did worked out anyways.

As far as most underrated, I like where you went with it. A desire for understanding is so underrated that it usually doesn't even make it on the trait list. The follow-up question is how do you coach for that :)

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
actually im wrong being a psychopath is great for success

I was going to say something to about it has seemed to work for you, but have learned better than to put something like that out there before I have fully judged how capable someone is of homicide.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was going to say something to about it has seemed to work for you, but have learned better than to put something like that out there before I have fully judged how capable someone is of homicide.
psychopathy works in many ways..most arent killers..just lack of empathy

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'll take a different tact and say that "planning for success" may be one of the most underrated traits.

People (the ones I've known anyway) are fueled by their accomplishments. Winning breeds motivation to train more, train harder to achieve more winning.

By setting goals that are both challenging and attainable, we can fuel this virtuous cycle.

Examples: leaning out? Shoot to lose 1lb of fat per week until ye feel good where yer at. Focused on strength? Shoot to add 5lbs to yer core lifts (or a relative % increase) with each training cycle.

Dopamine is a helluva drug.

Sicwun88

Reaction score
No need for motivation
When you have discipline;!

Reaction score
I would like to add PERSISTENCE to this thread, because it has gotten me very far in life.

PERSISTENCE for me is continuing to trudge on towards goals, sometimes making little to no progress, often times despite failures large and small. It's kind of like an unwavering faith that if I keep doing these daily things, one day I will reach my goals.

I'm like a turtle. I'm not the smartest, strongest, or fastest, but man if you give me time, I can make shit happen while lots of other people give up or quit along the way.

Reactions: Jin

New Threads