Speaking of training....

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
My training is changing a little bit...my wife wants to get into shape and she would like me to help.

She has committed to run a half marathon 2021 and would like me to help her. I told her I would run it with her and train to get ready.

We are doing a beginner half marathon 20 week program and then probably repeat or go to a beginner marathon program

So what will this do to me??? Am I going to lose a shit ton of weight? I plan on lifting on my rest and off days! Hopefully to keep progressing but I don't know how it will turn out...

I'm all in to help her and motivate her as she works toward this goal. She wants to get back in shape and I am all for that!!!

As for me I am in decent shape but this will for sure help with my cardio. I vowed to never run long distances again because I always dropped weight.

I will still work toward 215 will see what happens....

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
My training is changing a little bit...my wife wants to get into shape and she would like me to help.

She has committed to run a half marathon 2021 and would like me to help her. I told her I would run it with her and train to get ready.

We are doing a beginner half marathon 20 week program and then probably repeat or go to a beginner marathon program

So what will this do to me??? Am I going to lose a shit ton of weight? I plan on lifting on my rest and off days! Hopefully to keep progressing but I don't know how it will turn out...

I'm all in to help her and motivate her as she works toward this goal. She wants to get back in shape and I am all for that!!!

As for me I am in decent shape but this will for sure help with my cardio. I vowed to never run long distances again because I always dropped weight.

I will still work toward 215 will see what happens....

Hmmm,

You've made great progress. Training for a marathon is going to hinder things. My best advice: eat like a horse. Your body is not going to want to hang onto that extra muscle with all the running (and you're burning a lot of calories) so you've got to give it abundant calories to coax it into preserving that lean mass. You can do it, but eating and lifting HEAVY needs to be your priority for retaining mass.

IMO if your wife wants to get into shape resistance training> marathon training. Have you had a discussion about alternative ways to "get in shape"?

I train my wife 2-3x a week. She has made tremendous progress in strength and physique. Both marathon training and weights are ways you and yours can spend time together AND go forward with your fitness goals. One sounds fun, the other does not;)

my .02

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Way too far on opposing ends of the spectrum. Pick one or the other, or be shitty at both.

Guess I'm going to DESTROY you on the weight gain this fall/winter. :32 (20):

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
my ex was a marathon runner, I went along with it for awhile till everyone started telling me I looked sickly, soo...

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You already told her you would run the marathon and train with her. You weight lifting will suffer, but you already gave her your word. Be a man and keep it.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
As Jim said, you are going to need to eat a ton. More the. You are comfortable with.

with training, the running is going to hinder your recovery. Best bet is a low volume heavy weights approach. Especially with legs. Just a few working sets Pushing intensity ensuring you are maintaining or possibly increasing strength will be key. It will be very easy to go overboard on volume and regress in strength and size.

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
I honestly don't enjoy running, this will be a struggle. I did tell her I would do it and help her out.

I think what I am going to do is continue my weight training on days that I am not able to workout with my wife and put in runs when I am home and trying to motivate her.

I could probably go run a half marathon today if I really wanted to.

Dammit CJ, I am not giving up on my goal, just going to have to eat more. It may just turn out that I put in a few days of cardio that are ass kickers. And I will try and eat plenty of food so I don't destroy my current progress.

Thanks guys for all the input, I am not dropping below 200 like CJ :32 (20):

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
I decided to scrap the half marathon training, I talked to my wife about it. She is fine with me doing my regular workouts! I will run it with her and train for it probably for 2 weeks prior to the run and call it good.

New Threads